Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egyptian Guardian

Can not join/create a lan server on zandorum.

I know this question gets answered a lot, and I have been looking up how to do it, but it never helps. I know how to set up a Zandorum server on lan through ticking the setting on the "Create Game" bar and clicking the "Start Server" button. But I cant seem to find the lan game by trying to join it with another computer. How do I detect it. How do I find a convenianat button for me to click on? Somebody please tell me, as this is one of my most sought-after questions. Also, I can set it up via ZDL but I can join the server from another computer even by putting all the correct parameters such as "joining" and the ip address in. Somebody please answer this question. I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!

Try using Internet Doom Explorer, Doom Explorer, or Doomseeker instead of zdl. IDE makes setting up lan games really easy.

IDE is an older version of DE that some people may not have changed from, or know better than DE. I stated both in case one name might be more familiar than the other.

For zand you will definitely need to put into the client-computer(s)' your internal IP address (of the host), under the "custom servers" tab in config/settings/options/whatever-its-called. After that the server will always show up on top of the list.

Fonze said:

For zand you will definitely need to put into the client-computer(s)' your internal IP address (of the host), under the "custom servers" tab in config/settings/options/whatever-its-called. After that the server will always show up on top of the list.

By "list", do you mean the one that shows all the master servers?

Decay said:

IDE is an older version of DE that some people may not have changed from, or know better than DE. I stated both in case one name might be more familiar than the other.

Which would you say is better for setting up games at a school. That is primarily why I want to set up lan games, because all online games on master servers such as Zandronum, Zdaemon etc are blocked by the filter so the only way I can play Doom with my classmates is on the school network itself. I know this from playing Minecraft on lan with people who managed to sneak the file through Google Chrome, as with what I will do with the preferred source port for doom.

In IDE, make sure you tick "do not display to master" and tick "LAN game" (or whatever it says, don't have access at the moment). From there it should be simple as loading the same wads on the other computer(s) and typing "connect <school ip>:<port>". Since they're all on the same network, that aughta do it.

Doomkid said:

In IDE, make sure you tick "do not display to master" and tick "LAN game" (or whatever it says, don't have access at the moment). From there it should be simple as loading the same wads on the other computer(s) and typing "connect <school ip>:<port>". Since they're all on the same network, that aughta do it.

Where do I type in "connect <school ip>:<port>"? I don't have ide downloaded at the moment but a little more guidence would be nice.

In the Zandronum console. Don't actually type "school ip", google 'what is my IP'. This is the easiest way to get your school's IP address. The default port is 10666, but you can change this when you start the server from IDE. Hopefully this helps.

Doomkid said:

In the Zandronum console. Don't actually type "school ip", google 'what is my IP'. This is the easiest way to get your school's IP address. The default port is 10666, but you can change this when you start the server from IDE. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks, I will try this at school when it starts.

BTW, is there any kind of doom server that is specifically for LAN and displays a server from LAN onto the "list". A game I will use an example to get my point across is "Minecraft", and I know that is a silly game to compare, but the game directly gives you an option of broadcasting it on the WiFi you are on, and people on the same network can join it in the "list". Not sure if IDE or Zandronum does it, but I was also intrigued in a possibility like this.

ZDaemon and Zandronum servers can broadcast special 'launcher' packets, so if your network configured properly, launchers can receive such packets and show server 'automatically' in the list.
Doom Explorer (dont use IDE - it is outdated) has these capabilities. If you want to play LAN party - install Doom Explorer on all computers and start it with command-line parameter '-lan' - in this case it will not communicate with master servers and you will not see external servers - only those in your LAN. Dont forget to configure Doom Explorer to indicate location of zandronum and wads.
Start server from Doom Explorer on one of comps, do not forget to check 'LAN server' in 'Visibility' section. If all was done correctly - server will appear in list, and players only require to double-click it to start game.
If it doesnt appear in the list, other players can try to add it manually - in server list press 'Ins' key and add custom server with your (server) _local_ IP

bond said:

ZDaemon and Zandronum servers can broadcast special 'launcher' packets, so if your network configured properly, launchers can receive such packets and show server 'automatically' in the list.
Doom Explorer (dont use IDE - it is outdated) has these capabilities. If you want to play LAN party - install Doom Explorer on all computers and start it with command-line parameter '-lan' - in this case it will not communicate with master servers and you will not see external servers - only those in your LAN. Dont forget to configure Doom Explorer to indicate location of zandronum and wads.
Start server from Doom Explorer on one of comps, do not forget to check 'LAN server' in 'Visibility' section. If all was done correctly - server will appear in list, and players only require to double-click it to start game.
If it doesnt appear in the list, other players can try to add it manually - in server list press 'Ins' key and add custom server with your (server) _local_ IP

Cool. You seemed to have explained that in a very good way. Can't wait to try it!!