Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

Are these books valuable?

I found these two books at a garage sale. They looked unique and I'd never seen them before. Are they collector's items?

Heh, I wonder if the info contained in those older "battle books" or "strategy guides" can hold a candle to COMPET-N/slaughtermap techniques and the such, or they are PROTIP/Captain Obvious-grade material:

Even if those aren't worth much (i have no idea if they really are) they are definitely really cool. I definitely would of picked them up at a garage sale if i saw 'em as well. Just add them to the collection of other Doom stuff haha!

I think that pro-tip should read along the lines of "you have fucked it already".

Nice books thou, I used to collect stuff like that years ago, got out of hand a bit and ended up with an Atari jaguar, 2 copies of AvP, doom and various boxes of other things I'll never use.

Edit: However I have been playing jag doom recently!

Maes: The content in those old Doom guides generally has a solid amount of depth and situation-specific context (as opposed to just the modern Prima/Brady standard of "open the door, walk here and shoot the monsters. Then open the next door and shoot the monsters. There are monsters on a ledge nearby. Shoot them.") which mostly remain sound strategies even today. They definitely reflect a way of relating to the game that is now all but lost, though....people used to find Doom to be far, far scarier and more intimidating than the average player still playing in 2016 does, and so the strategies prescribed often reflect this, speaking of Barons of Hell with a certain reverence and recommending safer/more conservative approaches to areas containing lots of enemies and the like. One particularly pronounced example that always sticks out in my mind is Ed Dille's recommendation in the official Doom II guide to just run through "Suburbs" full-tilt without stopping to fight anything that's not directly in your path, under the assumption that the number of monsters that teleport into that level represent a fundamentally hopeless battle which is better avoided than engaged. Different times!

Maes said:

Heh, I wonder if the info contained in those older "battle books" or "strategy guides" can hold a candle to COMPET-N/slaughtermap techniques and the such, or they are PROTIP/Captain Obvious-grade material:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/089/406/Protip.jpg

I know a simpler strategy they could have put here. All you have to do to beat the Cyberdemon is knowing how to...

Both can be commonly purchased on amazon/ebay/half/etc used, but the better the condition, the more they're worth (though still not much), especially if they contained content CD's in the jacket flap and those are intact.

Reminds me, Hank Leukart still has my copy of "DOOM Hackers Guide" (he wrote the book) for past several months that he was going to sign... I'll have to drop a mail to see if he ever sent that out.

Seems like there were a bunch of unofficial Doom books written at the time.

I still have my original copy of the Doom Construction Kit somewhere. I used to take it to school to read between classes. Yep, I was the cool kid.

Demon of the Well said:

One particularly pronounced example that always sticks out in my mind is Ed Dille's recommendation in the official Doom II guide to just run through "Suburbs" full-tilt without stopping to fight anything that's not directly in your path, under the assumption that the number of monsters that teleport into that level represent a fundamentally hopeless battle which is better avoided than engaged. Different times!

I never read that guide, but is it bad if this is pretty much the only way I've ever played Suburbs? I hope the guide at least mentions how to nab the BFG and Plasma Guns on pedestals, makes zooming through the end much easier.

Demon of the Well said:

Different times!

Very well written post, and the punchline just sums it up. Yes, indeed there was a more candid, conservative approach to gaming just then. Of course, realizing that those guides were pre-COMPET-N, because I can't imagine them being written just a couple of years later, with a fierce COMPET-N elite already out in the field.

Tricks of the Doom Gurus is great if you want to get into editing, has some nicely explained tutorials and a great reference section on line types and stuff.

joepallai said:

Tricks of the Doom Gurus is great if you want to get into editing, has some nicely explained tutorials

The tutorials from the Tricks of the Doom Gurus are the ones I transcribed / edited for the Editing Tutorials subforum.

Demon of the Well said:

Maes: The content in those old Doom guides generally has a solid amount of depth and situation-specific context (as opposed to just the modern Prima/Brady standard of "open the door, walk here and shoot the monsters. Then open the next door and shoot the monsters. There are monsters on a ledge nearby. Shoot them.") which mostly remain sound strategies even today. They definitely reflect a way of relating to the game that is now all but lost, though....people used to find Doom to be far, far scarier and more intimidating than the average player still playing in 2016 does, and so the strategies prescribed often reflect this, speaking of Barons of Hell with a certain reverence and recommending safer/more conservative approaches to areas containing lots of enemies and the like. One particularly pronounced example that always sticks out in my mind is Ed Dille's recommendation in the official Doom II guide to just run through "Suburbs" full-tilt without stopping to fight anything that's not directly in your path, under the assumption that the number of monsters that teleport into that level represent a fundamentally hopeless battle which is better avoided than engaged. Different times!

A friend of mine had one that mentioned the real threat in E4M2 as being the loads of Barons, not the treacherous territory, lack of elbow room, and painfloor.

Linguica said:

The tutorials from the Tricks of the Doom Gurus are the ones I transcribed / edited for the Editing Tutorials subforum.

"3D Game Alchemy" is basically Tricks... 2nd edition. I don't know to what extent they changed the tutorials from Tricks..., or whether they just added material.

WOAH you have "TRICKS OF THE DOOM GURUS"!? THAT FUCKIN THING IS WORTH UPWARDS OF 364$!...........= thats what I WOULD be saying if I had any idea how much it was REALLY worth; but I dont. Heres a pic of MY book that I read front to back back when I was making wads in WadAuthor...

Krispy said:

I found these two books at a garage sale. They looked unique and I'd never seen them before. Are they collector's items?
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/kris134/20160806_125314_zpsegwtifzj.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/kris134/785c3074-a735-4039-8349-0c583f4f9480_zpsvkbifzae.jpg

They are, but personally, I would hang onto "Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus." I rememer having it and it was awesome