Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Why havent you played Doom 2016?

Whats the problem with Denuvo? Afaik it's not like SecuRom which sometimes kicked your optical drives out. Nor is it another annoying service like Uplay or Rockstar something (bundled with Gta IV)

The problem is that it exists, and anything anti-tamper related is enough to spark complaints simply as the next scape goat. If your rig isn't powerful enough or your SSD just failed, it's far more easier to blame the thing you don't understand.
There's also software preservation but it's hard to sort that between people who are actually concerned about it or people just using it as an excuse. It gets complicated when there's not a lot in the way of actual software lost, sans MMOs (but that's part of the territory and a different discussion).

The problem with the here and now? People can't pirate it day one. An issue long overdue of a solution, in all honesty.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Because it is too expensive for what it has to offer, which I do not find all that impressive to begin with.

I am perfectly satisfied with D4D for the time being.

Every game is too expensive than.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Those voicechatters in pretty much every lobby don't sound like kids to me .

No, those are the people who give the game negative reception.

I am fairly sure my PC can only run it on the lowest settings. I probably will get a Xbox one, or PS4 for the game at some point. But really... The only other console games I am interested in are on the Wii U, so I'd basically be getting a console for one game. (Hope Doom 2016 is worth it..)

CyberDemonEmpress said:

I am fairly sure my PC can only run it on the lowest settings.

Upgrade. No console.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

I am fairly sure my PC can only run it on the lowest settings. I probably will get a Xbox one, or PS4 for the game at some point. But really... The only other console games I am interested in are on the Wii U, so I'd basically be getting a console for one game. (Hope Doom 2016 is worth it..)

I think you should upgrade instead of buying a console for just one game.

Honestly I haven't felt the cost justified the game to me so far. The story looked pretty good and the graphics seemed decent enough. I'm not sold on a few of the major aspects of the game still (gibbing-for-items) and the soundscape doesn't really capture the Doom feel as much as I hoped.

I've watched a few playthroughs and speedruns and such, and always said I'd grab it and give it a playthrough when it's on a steep sale. Might still, dunno.

The fanboying is hard in this thread though. Geez guys, some people have different opinions.

Almonds said:

It's easy enough to chalk it up as fanboyism, but, man.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Lol, nope. It's fanboyism. The game is great. But if you think gaming was perfected in the 90's, while wearing you Pantera shirt, then yeah, you'll have a problem with this masterpiece of the Doom franchise.

And, some people probably just can't afford it...

CyberDemonEmpress said:

I am fairly sure my PC can only run it on the lowest settings. I probably will get a Xbox one, or PS4 for the game at some point.

I played the Beta on the Xbox One and the final game on my PC. I played first person shooters on the Xbox before (namely Halo 1-3), so I'm used to use a Xbox controller for FPS.

Doom on the Xbox was OK, on the PC it's great. The movement feels better, the visuals are better and you feel more "ingame".

Even back when Doom 4 wasn't in plans, I already knew: if it ever comes out, I won't be interested since it will have nothing to do with what I love the original games for. You could call me close-minded.

I haven't played it because I quit Steam 3 years ago and never looked back.
Didn't seem very interesting to me anyway.

Maybe another 2 decades later there will be a DRM-free version on GOG.

MrGlide, I dunno, everything? It's like when a new comedy gets released I don't expect it to be like the Charlie Chaplin films that I love. Even without watching the trailer or reading the reviews it's clearly obvious that the film will be completely different. It's pretty much the same case here. In my mind "a new Doom game was released" means "a new modern 3D shooter was released". There is no connection to the classic that I like so much.

Memfis said:

MrGlide, I dunno, everything? It's like when a new comedy gets released I don't expect it to be like the Charlie Chaplin films that I love. Even without watching the trailer or reading the reviews it's clearly obvious that the film will be completely different. It's pretty much the same case here. In my mind "a new Doom game was released" means "a new modern 3D shooter was released". There is no connection to the classic that I like so much.

I actually like that it doesn't try to copy classic DooM. We already have Doom 1 for playing Doom 1.
We can't advance if we keep looking to the past for everything. Stereotyping every modern FPS as mediocre to classics is pretty silly.

Bought it on the steam sale. It's pretty fun so far (only a few levels in). Movement seems a bit weird still, but I'd say it's worth the $20 so far.

So far even UV/Nightmare isn't particularly tough...

Yeah, it's inconveniently easy to blaze through on the first stages on PC I wager. It becoming even easier has definitely got to do with faster turning speed and overall better controls, though.

The fighting environments on earlier stages are pretty damn huge as well so that helps a lot I guess.

Lack of hitscanners is really what's doing it for me so far. I can dodge imp fireballs and undead marines for days by just strafing a bit. I think if there was more direct punishment for being in line-of-sight it might be tougher.

Glory kills also seem overly effective and kind of break the pace a bit for me. Why would I ever not save the bullet though, especially when shotgun shells are somewhat tight so far.

Severe depression due to which I do nothing for months at a time except work and sleep--never leave the house, can't even be bothered to watch movies or play games. And so I stopped following games for long enough to not know it was out. I was shocked to learn it was released and immediately played it about 15 hours a day to finally finish UN on day 4 or 5. So technically this is about why I hadn't played it, not why I haven't.

eargosedown said:

Lack of hitscanners is really what's doing it for me so far. I can dodge imp fireballs and undead marines for days by just strafing a bit. I think if there was more direct punishment for being in line-of-sight it might be tougher.

Glory kills also seem overly effective and kind of break the pace a bit for me. Why would I ever not save the bullet though, especially when shotgun shells are somewhat tight so far.

Interesting. I adored the lack of hit-scanners. I found it really refreshing to play a game that gave me a chance to dodge damage, not just cower from it behind cover.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I went in with the absolute lowest of expectations. I was convinced it'd be terrible, and it's ended up probably being my favorite game released in 2016.

Bauul said:

Interesting. I adored the lack of hit-scanners. I found it really refreshing to play a game that gave me a chance to dodge damage, not just cower from it behind cover.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I went in with the absolute lowest of expectations. I was convinced it'd be terrible, and it's ended up probably being my favorite game released in 2016.

In terms of difficulty the ability of monsters to lead you with their projectiles makes up for the hitscanners for me. Both are cheap in their own way, but at least with the leading you can theoretically be vigilant enough to almost always avoid it.