Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Hypothetical: DSDA Revamp

Shock and I have been thinking a lot lately about what a total rework of DSDA might look like. Some of the obvious things are fixes like allowing any map number, making stroller (and potentially other things) separate categories, adding filtering (tas, coop, port, etc), more stats, support for heretic, and so forth.

This is all hypothetical. The work would be threefold, in that a generalized back end is needed to store and access all the extra information, a new interface needs to be designed to display it and allow users to customize the site for themselves, and an algorithm must be written to convert and incorporate all of the existing data (and probe for new information).

What features would you be most interested in seeing added?

Are you actually going to put in the work for this?

If so, instant uploading of demos would be nice, rather than andy downloading them all and updating once a week.

download counters? Like track each time a demo is downloaded and have that information be in a tooltip or somethin.

all my ideas for now

Cyberdemon531 said:

Are you actually going to put in the work for this?

I think shock, maybe eLim, and I may work on it this Fall, but we're all busy also so I won't make any promises. It's just hypothetical at this point.

I feel like each of my suggestions will be rejected immediately but here they are anyway:

- ability to view the text file before downloading (just like with WADs on idgames)
- ability to download a single demo from a demopack
- ability for users to comment on each demo (similar to idgames)
- date of the demo (taken from timestamp) listed in the table
- WAD name in the URL - like http://doomedsda.us/plutonia.html instead of http://doomedsda.us/wad946.html

...and there's probably more I can't remember at the moment

I like both of Cyb's ideas as well.

For a 72 minute 40 second demo I prefer the format 72:40 rather than 1:12:40. This could be customizable.

My suggestions:
- showing centiseconds in demo time (like 0:04.97, 0:05.94 etc. in doom2 MAP01 NoMos). It can be optional
- not using Doom 2 v1.9/PrBoom 2.5.1.3/whatever in engine field for built demos, but DRE 2.0/XDRE 2.X/LMPC instead
EDIT: - making solo-net demos separated from coop (SN?)
EDIT 2: - player count in coop TASes (because they're usually built)

Keyboard_Doomer said:

I feel like each of my suggestions will be rejected immediately but here they are anyway:

- date of the demo (taken from timestamp) listed in the table

...and there's probably more I can't remember at the moment

I like both of Cyb's ideas as well.

to add to this, it would be nice to have custom sort options so you could sort any demo list (wad,player) for e.g by demo date so you could see someone's progression as they made demos :)

What I would like to see is lists of certain WADs. For example, the Master Levels series are spread all over the site. The first demo contest WADs also have different names (some are named just FDC-number but then there are Kobal, Best, Liberty, etc). I wish there was an easy way to view them all on a single page.

Since not everyone is on the discord to see what's going on, the progress on new dsda has come a long way.  Currently implemented new features of note:

• Heretic and Hexen support
  • Zandronum demo support
  • No map number / name restrictions
  • Extra site-wide stats (e.g., average demo time)
  • Ranking / sorting by tics
  • Category cross-listing (pacifist -> uv speed)
  • Additional categories (e.g., stroller)
  • Admin interface for submission / updates
  • Live feed of recent demos
  • List of level times for movies
  • Date of recording
  • Twitch / YouTube links for players
  • Demo video links
  • Record timelines
  • Searching
  • RESTful API

Here's what a record timeline looks like:

0l1dKNy.png

One of the biggest issues before this can be opened for use is importing all the current demos properly, which I've been slacking on working through further. Not easy to properly automate the importing of such a huge and messy set of demos into a new archive.

4 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

have you spoken with Andy about it?

Of course, it wouldn't do to start a turf war :^)

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

Is it also going to get a NEW and IMPROVED design?

The design right now is similar to the screenshot there, but it's mostly a good-enough looking placeholder while I work on the internals.