Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Stranger Things

If you have Netflix, there's a new original series on it called Stranger Things. It's this awesome 80's horror b-movie themed mystery thriller about a distressed girl who is a secret government test subject with psychic powers. She escapes from the lab during a special project gone wrong. A side effect of the project is a horrible monster appears from an alternate dimension and captures a young boy. While the boys mom, his brother, his best friends, and a dedicated police chief search for him, the government agents plant false evidence to cover up their project and fake the boys death. The boys befriend the escaped girl with psychic powers who is scared and on the run, but may be their only hope in locating the lost boy. As the mom, the brother, the police chief and his friends persist in finding the boy, the rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper as the governments secrets begin to expose.

It's only one season, 10 episodes, 50 minutes each. The final episode is a bit of a cliffhanger, but holy shit it is otherwise a damn good show. If you like 80s scifi, thriller, and horror movies for nostalgic reasons, you'll be in love. Very rarely do I see a show that gets so many things right.

If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. It's really cool.

Yeah, great stuff. I was instantly hooked and watched the whole season in 5 days or something. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a second season is already confirmed, I hope i remember correctly. Although this series does give "a few" nods to 80s and 90s thriller/horror classics, it never felt forced or like a rip-off. Recommended!

Best new show since X-files and Twin Peaks, IMO. Was fantastic and reminded of how awesome TV shows use to be. Wonder how Season 2 is going to play out, hmmm.

I loved the music. Those eerie and zany synths sound like that old weird music from classic movies, but in a way that doesn't sound unnatural or tacked on. It's pretty amazing.

40oz said:

I loved the music. Those eerie and zany synths sound like that old weird music from classic movies, but in a way that doesn't sound unnatural or tacked on. It's pretty amazing.

At one point I literally heard Tangerine Dream's Exit. I was sold.

Probably one of my favourite series. I don't watch TV or Netflix series often, but I'm so glad Stranger Things was one that I spent time on.

This show is incredible on all fronts. Me and the Mrs sat through it in 2 or 3 days and hated that it was over. Definitely right up my alley. And the soundtrack is sooooooo freakin awesome! Can't wait to see how they keep this one going :)

Midway through it now, it's like Freaks and Geeks meets the x-files. I LOVE the title sequence with the Stephen King font. The rest of the show is pretty good too.

I'm late, I know, but my girl and I just finished it. So many influences. The Thing, Aliens, Evil Dead, Silent Hill, X-Files, E.T., Twin Peaks, Resident Evil...even got a Doom 3 vibe from it. Normally paranormal shows are cheesy as fuck. I was really satisfied with how this was handled.

GoatLord said:

I'm late, I know, but my girl and I just finished it. So many influences. The Thing, Aliens, Evil Dead, Silent Hill, X-Files, E.T., Twin Peaks, Resident Evil...even got a Doom 3 vibe from it. Normally paranormal shows are cheesy as fuck. I was really satisfied with how this was handled.

if there's influences from aliens, evil dead, and the thing, then i gotta watch this. it sounds great.

Aquanet said:

Midway through it now, it's like Freaks and Geeks meets the x-files. I LOVE the title sequence with the Stephen King font. The rest of the show is pretty good too.

It feels a lot more like The Goonies meets X-Files. Which is a good thing.

so, i just binge-watched the show with my dad...
hoooly shit. that was AWESOME. this is one of the best tv shows that i've seen in quite a while. and the fact that seaon 2 is confirmed just makes it all the better!

this is why cable is a waste of money. netflix has waay better shows, WITHOUT COMMERCIALS!

rf` said:

At one point I literally heard Tangerine Dream's Exit. I was sold.

Wait, seriously? That's awesome. Tangerine Dream is one of my absolute favorite electronic artists, and I definitely thought their music would have been a perfect fit for this show based on the two episodes I've seen so far.

I guess mom doesn't know 20 questions, huh. For example, she could have started with "Are you in the state of Indiana?" Just finished episode 3. Show gives me the heebie geebies, as in it makes my spine and most of my body tingle at times.

I think part of why this show is having such an effect on me is that yesterday while at work I was looking for some mellow music to play but was tired of Enya and then I remembered a song from way back when by Vangelis that I really liked that I hadn't heard in over 15 years. So I queued up the artist on shuffle using Spotify and the first song wasn't the one I knew, but the theme for Bladerunner, a movie I have never seen, btw. It's almost as if my subconscious, or alternate self. was preparing myself to watch this series. The soundtrack/theme song to the show is very reminiscent of the tune I stumbled upon by Vangelis.

I am really impressed by the childrens' performances in this show, especially Jane. Also really like Hopper.

There's a cool game I downloaded also with great atmosphere and the possibility to go into the "upside down". It's called Swordigo (I downloaded it for my iPhone). Here is an unrelated image to the game (there are no banana seat bicycles in Swordigo).

GoatLord said:

Heh, I got a quake 1 vibe from it