Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Use

No Man's Sky

Captain Red said:

Do you know of any other you tube channels that chronicle the adventures of Elite: Dangerous players like this? It's surprisingly compelling viewing!

Sadly no. I just watch what videos are posted in the SA Elite thread.

NMS is turning out to be lots of fun. A driver update from AMD made it more playable. So did some of the tweaks suggested in a reddit thread.

Still plays like a 3D version of Out There.

What bothers me is it says I'm discovering these places and I can name them, but there are aliens everywhere. Didn't they discover the places? And I don't even mean like just random aliens. There are installations everywhere with surveyors, scientists, and traders. They have orbiting space stations and cargo ships going everywhere. There are ancient monuments too. This is like Marco Polo saying he discovered China.

I bit the bullet and bought the ps4 version, since the PC is a mess, and I got to use my accumulation of Best Buy points, so I didn't pay full retail. There's little chance I'll completely hate it, so if anything it will be a nice time killer. We'll see!

Use3D said:

I bit the bullet and bought the ps4 version, since the PC is a mess, and I got to use my accumulation of Best Buy points, so I didn't pay full retail. There's little chance I'll completely hate it, so if anything it will be a nice time killer. We'll see!

From what I read and heard, there is also crashing issues on the PS4.

Pre-ordered it, downloaded it, installed it, ran it, and it gave me 1/2 second of black screen before quitting back to the desktop, with no error message, no log file, no event logged, nothing. I'm going to try to update my graphics drivers, I suppose.

I was getting the bug to upgrade for ages and yesterday I picked up some newfangled parts. Geforce GTX 1060, i5 6600 Skylake, Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Thermaltake 650 Watt PSU and 16 GB DDR4. Took a few hours to put all that together which went smoothly considering my last build was 8 years ago.

I had over $100 sitting in my Steam wallet since X-Mas so I bought No Man's Sky. . The only performance hiccup I've seen happened when I first started the game it stuttered for a sec when the star-field appeared. That hasn't happened since tho.

I haven't had any issues with crashes or any stuttering. Game runs smooth and looks pretty nice. There are some weird anomalies where the ground textures seem to not mesh well and look jagged. Not sure why that is, but I don't see it very often. Sometimes the land generator takes a shit and makes some weird looking terrain or puts a building clipping into a hill or is suspended over a drop... (just like Minecraft will sometimes place a village that doesn't jive right with the terrain). I found one building where the landing pad was inside a hill, so when a ship landed it was buried with parts sticking out of the dirt. lol

Like Alio said, I'm having fun with the game. Currently trying to get the units for a better ship. Some of the lifeforms are a bit crazy looking, saw a spider/mantis/crab combo yesterday... naming them and the planets can be fun. I left my starter planet and went to the nearby moon, which was toxic so I named it Vilecore. :p

I ended up purchasing the game. I am enjoying it as a lazy, mindless (inventory management excluded) and easy going game to play after work, however after spending a good few hours in a single planet I think I experienced most of what the game has to offer.

The controversy may be real in regards to broken promises, beating Peter Molyneux in the amount of lies and broken promises said to hype up a game.

- Giant Dinosaurs and animals, some drinking in lakes or smashing through the forest or sand worms slithering by, as seen on Trailers? False.
- Meeting other players and having a feature to inform you if this may happen despite being a very rare occurrence, as said by the Director himself? 100% False.
- Running into faction wars and space battles, having the option to join a side or avoid the confrontation altogether, as shown in E3 footage and claimed by the Director? Totally False.
- The ability to leave the Galaxy and explore more of the Universe, as said by the Director? Apparently False.
- Have a variety of class ships and play styles, enabling a player to avoid lots of resource grinding? Completely False.
- The game also being heavily focused on Survival, again False.

And that doesn't cover everything mind you.

So perhaps myself and many others just really need to put those hours in before some of this comes true but I have my doubts. There are been a couple claims / promises retracted recently, such as never selling paid DLC and Multiplayer.

It really could use most of the broken promises implemented to the game to be worth the money however I'm currently enjoying it for what it is. Since I picked up new work I'm too tired to be outraged over this, but I won't be recommending this game to anyone.