Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bloodshot

Slough of Despair - E3M2 Redux - PCJNVWM2

You never cease to amaze me lol, That looks cool Judging by the screenshots, Will definitely give it a go later .

Amasing! They did a great job releasing environmental hell props and see what people already do with it. If only they could add tech stuff like pipes, wall peices, catwalks, railings, rotating function and puttin additional doors within prefabs then this is where things may get serious with SM).

Gave this a runthrough with another player: we got lost trying to find the next place to go to before we discovered that hole. Try making that whole more evident or something, cause we GLAZES right through it multiple times!

Besides that, AWESOME MAP. It doesn't have the same coloring scheme of the original, but still a damn good re-interpretation of the map. I'll give it a review when i get the proper chance to play it without issues.

Nice use of the "grid room" module. But it looks like Snapmap is holding you back. It has to look foggy because you need hide the grid lines on the walls of the grid room. And there is no elevation, because the demons must be placed on the ground floor, and can't be placed on props. So all combat must be done on the ground. Even the original E3M2 has a few steps to climb up to avoid monotony. So this is one instance where Snapmap's limitations are holding back the creativity of the mapmaker.

Say what you will, to be able to work within those limitations and be able to crank out stuff like this is worth praise if anything. Steps and uneven ground are also easily reproductible, bloodshot here just didn't go through with it for some reason or another.

Also, the lines on the grid room are easily covered by placing a player blocking volume thing on the walls.

DoomPhreak said:

Phreak !

Lol wat's the matter, ya feeling jealous ? I Saw you digging through all of his maps and telling him about the smallest of the smallest and barely noticeable issues .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Lol wat's the matter, ya feeling jealous ? I Saw you digging through all of his maps and telling him about the smallest of the smallest and barely noticeable issues .

This is called forum discussion, hello? If reading slightly contrarian comments makes you uncomfortable do something else. The SAD thing is you don't realize I'm actually in support of this mapmaker because I made it quite clear that the fault is really in Snapmap, not him. Which part of "Snapmap is holding back his creativity" did you not understand?

And it's NOT a small issue. Notice how some of the demons have trouble running, especially the charging pinkies? That's because walking AI's have a hard time navigating on props. Another thing is why not have only flying demons? That would at least solve that problem. Instead, you have all kinds of unnatural walking motions.

And my comment on his other map was about a spawning BUG. You called that a small problem too?

Notice a lot of mapmakers don't even get a comment when they create a thread here? I responded because I cared about this mapmaker's work. Next time stop being so butthurt when you read comments that don't agree with your narrow, poorly-informed views.

Almonds said:

Say what you will, to be able to work within those limitations and be able to crank out stuff like this is worth praise if anything. Steps and uneven ground are also easily reproductible, bloodshot here just didn't go through with it for some reason or another.

Also, the lines on the grid room are easily covered by placing a player blocking volume thing on the walls.

Actually, placing demons high up can be accomplished by teleporting them in mid-air and letting them fall to the props you made. That would be something I would suggest.

Player-blocking volumes don't block demons, and it would look ridiculous when demons move in and out of them. That's why I avoid using them when demons are present. That's another thing Snapmap needs to improve on. Also, these volumes don't look too good in an immersion-breaking kind of way. And bloodshot did use them to hide the grid lines, but still had to use fog to hide them.

DoomPhreak said:

Actually, placing demons high up can be accomplished by teleporting them in mid-air and letting them fall to the props you made. That would be something I would suggest.

Player-blocking volumes don't block demons, and it would look ridiculous when demons move in and out of them. That's why I avoid using them when demons are present. That's another thing Snapmap needs to improve on. Also, these volumes don't look too good in an immersion-breaking kind of way. And bloodshot did use them to hide the grid lines, but still had to use fog to hide them.

The downside of teleporting demons to a second floor is that some of them get stuck or act weird, but yeah, it works.

Sadly, enough custom assets to create architecture in more than one floor can cause crashing problems, so yeah, I agree with you in that Snapmap always seem to limit overall creative control. My map, for example, started with 79% or something of Network and it crashed, I managed to get the count lower to 34% and it still crashed.

Kind of annoying having to limit yourself to accommodate those limitations,regardless, I still think Snapmap is such a fantastic tool that can get greatly improved.

I think it's best to modify existing modules with props to create new room, if possible. You can have textured floors and elevations and create the illusion of it being a entirely new space, still. For spawning monsters tho, I'd stick with individual demons being spawned at the precise locations, since otherwise they may appear outside the intended playing area (but still technically in the original module).

What's popular now seems to be maps with custom architecture, since I'm capable I should make it mandatory for all my snapmaps to have it, lest I be overlooked. Folks, the final window prop for the UAC base is a good wall prop... the rear in fact is the ~exact~ texture used on many UAC walls before extra details are added....

DoomPhreak said:

Notice a lot of mapmakers don't even get a comment when they create a thread here? I responded because I cared about this mapmaker's work. Next time stop being so butthurt when you read comments that don't agree with your narrow, poorly-informed views.

Oh, You edited your post and added a whole new paragraph to it just to clarify that you are not jealous and calling me butthurt ?, I Honestly am never gonna understand your attitude guys, Don't just call me a butthurt because of a joke i released and give me 2 more paragraphs to read, "this only shows that you're the butthurt here", Yes butthurt (clearly because you couldn't resist replying) It was a joke again, Stop being the "Butthurt" as you would say .

Guest MIND

Can I feature this map on my website? I added you on Steam as well.

FAN-fucking-tastic job with the scenery. The Hell modules look 10x better than the UAC ones which aren't impressive to begin with.

I didn't complete the full thing because I got lost but it's Doom alright.

I've made 3 maps, 2 of which are simmilar to this one in style and pacing.