Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 2016 Passes 1 Million Sales On Steam (Maybe)

I was looking at Doom 2016's SteamSpy page and noticed that Doom 2016 probably passed the 1 million mark sometime recently. For comparison, Rage has 1.26 million owners after years of deep discounts and at least one free weekend, and Wolfenstein: The New Order has 1.2 million owners. And Doom is still at full price!

So maybe that's good enough to greenlight a sequel? Who knows??

Well color me fucked, I never had high hopes for the game but I will concede defeat looking at this.

Well, if I remember correctly it had a 33% sale two months after launch on Steam, and during Quakecon it was 50% off. That probably affected sales. And other outlets that sell CD keys have had it at 40% off for at least a month. I paid full price, then kicked myself when it went on sale two weeks later.

So yes, sales are good, but I would be an idiot if I didn't think that a large number of people bought it when it was on sale. And it went on sale fast. And that, to me, is an indicator that the game isn't profitable at full price, and they wanted to recoup as much money as possible on a fading game.

Jello said:

Well, if I remember correctly it had a 33% sale two months after launch on Steam, and during Quakecon it was 50% off. That probably affected sales. And other outlets that sell CD keys have had it at 40% off for at least a month. I paid full price, then kicked myself when it went on sale two weeks later.

So yes, sales are good, but I would be an idiot if I didn't think that a large number of people bought it when it was on sale. And it went on sale fast. And that, to me, is an indicator that the game isn't profitable at full price, and they wanted to recoup as much money as possible on a fading game.

Very few games maintain their AAA price long after launch. Generally only the absolute top tier titles like GTA V. Even Call of Duty has price cuts relatively quickly.

In terms of Doom 2016, I imagine Bethesda wanted to ride the wave of positivity that (somewhat unexpectedly) appeared after it launched, in an attempt to capture the people who became intrigued by the good press but clearly weren't Day 1 purchasers.

More interesting than its price now will be its price a year after it's come out. That's a good indicator of a game's longevity.

Bauul said:

Very few games maintain their AAA price long after launch. Generally only the absolute top tier titles like GTA V. Even Call of Duty has price cuts relatively quickly.

In terms of Doom 2016, I imagine Bethesda wanted to ride the wave of positivity that (somewhat unexpectedly) appeared after it launched, in an attempt to capture the people who became intrigued by the good press but clearly weren't Day 1 purchasers.

More interesting than its price now will be its price a year after it's come out. That's a good indicator of a game's longevity.

I realize price cuts are the norm now with digital distribution, but usually it doesn't go beyond 20-30% for several months after launch. 50% off three months after launch is a huge discount for Doom. Even for Quakecon, that's huge, even Quake 1/2/3 rarely if ever get that much of a discount. The last Quakecon I think they were 30-40% off.

As for Call of Duty, they keep their prices high for years after launch. The original Call of Duty is still $20 on Steam. The lowest I've ever seen it is in a sale at 50%, once, and it's been out for 12 years. The new games routinely have 10% discounts, sometimes up to 20%, for several years after launching.

I'm sorry, but 50% off after three months just seems odd to me. Even most Bethesda titles have 6 months before they see 33%, and at least a year before 50%.

Zemini said:

Is that just PC sales? What about all sales for Xbox and PS4?

Just PC sales. Pretty good if you ask me. I bet it sold at least as much on each console.

Can you buy PC Doom without using Steam? Afaik you could with Rage.

A lot of people need to go buy Wolfenstein: NO who haven't already!

I suppose it's safe to say that there is some good reason to whip up an expansion, similar to what DOOM3 had. I'm not the biggest fan of DOOM'16, but if the expansion stays away from some of the issues I have with the "core game", I would be willing to give it a look.

Jon said:

You can't even with Rage. Remember that while you can buy them elsewhere, Steamworks titles must still be redeemed and run with the Steam client.

Sure Bowb said:

I suppose it's safe to say that there is some good reason to whip up an expansion, similar to what DOOM3 had. I'm not the biggest fan of DOOM'16, but if the expansion stays away from some of the issues I have with the "core game", I would be willing to give it a look.

hope it takes place on earth, kinda like doom 2
...it'd also be nice if a free update was included that made snapmap NOT suck :/

Jon said:

You can, But you will still need to use Steam .