Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

Now that AG has bit the dust.......

I feel like getting another file-sharing program now. What's the general consensus on which is the best one still out there, and where could I get it?

Yeah, I've heard good things about Grokster (better than what I've heard about Morpheus or Kazaa anyway), so might as well give it a shot. Thanks Fods.

Problem with Kazaa Lite is you need the latest virus scanners to keep from pickingup a nasty bug or two. A god number of the songs I've downloaded have been infected with the I Love You virus. :P

IMJack said:

Problem with Kazaa Lite is you need the latest virus scanners to keep from pickingup a nasty bug or two. A god number of the songs I've downloaded have been infected with the I Love You virus. :P

heh. I think i'll stay away from it, then :P

Hasn't happened to me. Kazaa Lite is what I use now, but it doesn't have nearly the selection as AG did. And don't use WinMX. After about 50 searches I didn't get one good connection. NOT ONE.

orion said:

Kazaa lite is briliance.

not really. i mean it would be a little better than the rest if it didn't have spyware attatched to it, but o well.

gatewatcher said:

not really. i mean it would be a little better than the rest if it didn't have spyware attatched to it, but o well.

The point of Kazaa Lite is that it doesn't have any spyware.

someone explain to me how a non-executable file like an mp3 can be infected with a virus? i know virus code can implant itself in an mp3 but there no way to execute it, making the virus useless.

Use3D said:

someone explain to me how a non-executable file like an mp3 can be infected with a virus? i know virus code can implant itself in an mp3 but there no way to execute it, making the virus useless.

Actually, ILoveYou and its ilk go through your hard drive and set your mp3 files to Hidden. It then creates copies of itself with the same filename as the mp3, plus a .vbs extension at the end. It's these "fake mp3s" that Kazaa can accidently download. There's some program in the Windows directory that can auto-exec Visual Basic script files on startup, and that's how this damn thing gets activated. It propigates itself throughout your hard drive and is a bitch to clean up.

IMJack said:

It propigates itself throughout your hard drive and is a bitch to clean up.

of course if you have the latest anti-virus definitions your ok.

hey, i just found this neat way to completely remove kazaa's spyware and still be able to run kazaa here

IMJack said:

Actually, ILoveYou and its ilk go through your hard drive and set your mp3 files to Hidden. It then creates copies of itself with the same filename as the mp3, plus a .vbs extension at the end. It's these "fake mp3s" that Kazaa can accidently download. There's some program in the Windows directory that can auto-exec Visual Basic script files on startup, and that's how this damn thing gets activated. It propigates itself throughout your hard drive and is a bitch to clean up.

Sounds like one of those things the RIIA set up to fuck with filesharers. Yeah...this hasn't happened to me yet, but people who use Kazaa are pretty stupid. For instance today I founf yet another mp3 of Tainted Love alegedly by Depeche Mode, but this time they said it was darkwave. For those of you who don't know, darkwave is a relatively new sound. Basicaly, its industrial with a dark goth feel. Bands such as Das Ich, Razed in Black, Switchblade Symphony and Front Line Assembly all fall into this category. So I don't think some crappy song from the 80s (which isn't even by motherfucking Depeche Mode - I don't know who did it) really falls into that category.

IMJack said:

*cough*linux

Such things shouldn't be allowed to happen.

gatewatcher said:

You're confusing it with normal kazaa, kazaa lite has no spyware, no adds, and seems to run a bit better for me. It actually obeys my commands, it's a good little puppy.

Kazaa Lite also has the 'search more' function, which is really hella useful. The mirrors I get for my results with it usually cut my dl times in half.

BE CAREFUL what you download from Kazaa and other file-sharing services these days as hidden viruses are cropping up with alarming regularity.

A new one called Surnova has turned up in files for Quake 4, Britney Spears nude, Star Wars 2 and a Gamecube emulator, causing havoc when they're downloaded.

IMJack said:

Jesus you make it sound like it's a living thing.

Archvile64 said:

Jesus you make it sound like it's a living thing.

Y'mean this liquid metal eating me alive isn't real!?

Liam the Bard said:

iMesh is my new best friend

I tried it a year or two ago and it sucked complete shit. Maybe it got better with the newer versions.

orion said:

I tried it a year or two ago and it sucked complete shit. Maybe it got better with the newer versions.

So far in ONE day it's got me FIVE new 100meg+ hentai vids and almost the entirety of Mushroomhead - XX, Kazaa would take a week or more running in the background to manage it all.

The only thing that pisses me off is that it doesn't allow mp3s with a higher bitrate than 128kbps.