Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Urania demos [-complevel 4]

Post your Urania demos here.

Urania is a vanilla megawad for Plutonia's IWAD, so please keep prboom's compatibility level to 4 (Final Doom).

Keep the the demo in a zip file, and preferably name the demo as uaXX-YYY (avoid urXX as it's used by Unholy Realms). XX is the map number and YYY is the time. Always provide a text file.

Urania download: idgames

Linguica said:

If Urania is a vanilla megawad, why would you use complevel 9?

I suppose you're right. Gonna stick with complevel 4 then. Updated.

I can't sleep because the thread title says [complevel 4] instead of [-complevel 4] like in every other thread, please fix. :)

Tryin' to spread the good word about the wad. This one took a lot of work (one take) but I've finally managed a successful UV-max exit on map02 in 16:19. Strap on your seat belts because we're going hypersonic here!

ua02-1619.zip

map03 ghetto-max. Seems to me like the teleporting Arachnotrons get stuck in their closets in Boom -cl 4 and block other monsters, making ~5% of the kills impossible. Doesn't happen in G/QZDoom. If someone can confirm (or deny) having the same issue, that would be great!

ua03-1715.zip

On 9/1/2018 at 1:56 PM, Grain of Salt said:

Even the simplest one of these seems like it must've been pretty difficult to route.

Somewhat, I went with my intuition when planning each map in my head prior to starting a first practice session, formulating a route which minimizes backtracking and emphasises efficient killing by being aggressive and making the best use of available ammo. Then making minor alterations after going through a level and experimenting with different approaches.

With 01, I used to go up by the lift in the waterway after getting the RL, but changed it to taking the passageway outside which helped in killing stragglers and made things quicker overall, as opposed to waiting on a lift and not doing anything.

03 was brilliant in that my first practice session nailed the route down, then it was simply a matter of working out how to distribute ammo effectively, knowing when to use rockets and how many to use at a certain part for example.

04 needed around two playthroughs in god mode to become familiar with the layout as it's intertwining and continually links back onto itself, then a 3rd run to nail down ammo use and strategy.

Only 28 more to go! :D

Oh god, after watching Krypto's demos, I lost hope on myself again, JK ;P

That's really cool if you're going to fill the whole table because maps feel ridiculous complicated. I've only played the first 10 maps or so, but it definitely can feel the "direction" of this WAD. I would say this could be another Eternal Doom, which I mean it's fun to watch a demo, rather than playing the whole thing by yourself, or maybe it's very fun to play if you know the routing. However, it feels like hell when you play it blind...

I've only watched the first level now, but I'm agree with GoS that Map01 is already quite difficult to route... Also, there are a lot of cramped fights which I can see there are a lot of trouble with those when you're going fast. The first map's run is really fun to watch with risky low health in the later parts. I can definitely see a lot of deaths associated with a good run in any of these maps.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:12 AM, GarrettChan said:

Oh god, after watching Krypto's demos, I lost hope on myself again, JK ;P

That's really cool if you're going to fill the whole table because maps feel ridiculous complicated. I've only played the first 10 maps or so, but it definitely can feel the "direction" of this WAD. I would say this could be another Eternal Doom, which I mean it's fun to watch a demo, rather than playing the whole thing by yourself, or maybe it's very fun to play if you know the routing. However, it feels like hell when you play it blind...

Lost hope to surpass current records? :D I'd like to see other runs but it's an inevitable fact this wad won't have any, as few like Urania.

I don't find the maps complicated from a first time experience, but I have great navigational skills, for example I play Wolfenstein 3D mapsets from time to time and rarely get lost as I can map out the layout of a level in my head from recalling the geometry of rooms; certain shapes, objects and colors can help to distinguish one area from another, in Urania's case the only one to confuse me entirely was 06, where linedefs and switches don't trigger things in your immediate vicinity and I had to look up actions and tags in the editor to progress.

I'd compare it to Eternal Doom only in average time to beat maps and not in navigational complexity, the levels considered 'huge' taking an average of 30-40 minutes from a successful, saveless, pistol start, but that doesn't take into consideration an average of one to two deaths from 05 onwards, so it's more like 45-50 minutes.

@Bloodite KryptoWell, every time I watch your demo, I feel I'm not a good enough player to try speedrunning Doom. I'm comparing to one of the most powerful Doomgod out there, so it's not that bad. ;P

Well, the level of confusion is definitely not the same caliber as Eternal Doom, but it makes this WAD quite a niche interest IMO. It seems most of the level design is non linear IIRC, and from Map04 onward, it's quite large. I remember I took like 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish Map04 blind. However, I don't really have good raw skill, so I usually savescum through the level if I play blind. Then I develop my strats after knowing everything.

I also play Wolf3D quite a lot, and I don't think I have too much navigational problem. However, Eternal Doom likes to hide thing in regular textured walls or something like that, so probably it's not comparable in many ways.

So glad there are demos for this. And Bloodite Krypto's to boot! Keep up the good work, buddy, I'm really looking forward to the rest :)

I agree with you that this megawad definitely doesn't have that "where tf am I supposed to go" factor Eternal Doom had. I have horrible navigational skills and didn't get lost once. If a map has multiple paths, just choose one and stick with it. Shame not many people liked it and it got completely ignored for the cacowards.

Urania is actually one of my favourite megawads, I beat it like three times on UV, although I did have to save quite a lot on certain maps xD