Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Salahmander2

Official Maps that stand out.

Recommended Posts

Toxin Refinery
Deimos Anomaly
Containment Area
Deimos Lab
Halls of the Dead
Tower Of Babel
Pandemonium
Mt. Erebus
Warrens
Perfect Hatred
The Waste Tunnels
The Crusher
Tricks And Traps
O of Destruction/Circle of death
Downtown
Industrial Zone
Gotcha!
Monster Condo
The Spirit World
The Living End


This is mostly based on nostalgia due to the ambience of said levels as well as the music in that package. Had they been new to me now I would probably pick differently. Gameplay wasn't as important those days. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Plutonia
-Odyssey of Noises
-Hunted
-Go 2 It

TNT
-Human BBQ
-Wormhole
-Pharaoh

Doom 2
-Dead Simple
-Tricks and Traps
-Downtown
-Industrial Zone
-The Citadel
-Gotcha!
-The Living End
-Icon of Sin

Doom 1
-Hangar
-Phobos Anomaly
-Deimos Lab
-Tower of Babel
-Unholy Cathedral
-Mount Erebus
-Dis
-Perfect Hatred

Share this post


Link to post

If you mean "stand out" as "being memorable for being notably better than any of the others", I'd have no answer. If you mean "stand out" as "being memorable for being notably different from any of the others, no matter if in a positive, negative or neutral manner", I'd answer:

Ultimate Doom: E4M1, E4M9 within the context of E4
Doom 2: MAP08, MAP24, and of course the secret maps
TNT: MAP28
Plutonia: MAP11, MAP32

Share this post


Link to post

How about actually explaining why instead of listing a bunch of names?

For me, most of the memorable bits are in TSOH, for reasons listed:

E2M2/E2M3: I always enjoyed the grab-bag mix of texture styles in these maps, it should come off as incoherent at times but it doesn't; it adds a lot of character to the already interesting layouts.

E2M4/E2M6: These two scared me the most way back when. Deimos Lab's music track fits the architecture and vibe like a glove. Halls of the Damned has that dark wood maze that always stood out for me, to say nothing of those cramped quarters earlier on.

Share this post


Link to post

The secret levels. All of them. (dunno about TNT and Plutonia though, never played)

Share this post


Link to post

All the boss levels (Including F/D2M7), all secret levels, all intro levels.
Udoom : E1M7, E2M2, E3M2, E3M6, E4M2.
Doom2 : McGee levels, Romero's, 11, 18, 21, 24, 25, 28.
TNT : 6, 7, 15, 16, that greenwar map by Mustaine, 21, 29.
Plutonia : 2, 11, Speed, 25, 26, 29.

Share this post


Link to post
Diamhea said:

How about actually explaining why instead of listing a bunch of names?


Already did so! But again. Because of the ability to make me scared like a child etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post

Computer Labs
Containment Area
Pandemonium
Hell Beneath
Perfect Hatred
Underhalls
Refueling Base
That one castle map thats in Doom 2

Share this post


Link to post

probably mt.erberus, mainly with the texture choices and just the overall design and layout of the map. it's pretty strange...imo, not in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post

E1M8 for being a giant star with nukage on the roof in addition to the fun boss battle. I can't have been the only one who was amazed by floating liquid when they first saw that... right?

E2M2 for being the only big box maze. Tight ammo and creepy music helped to make this a very atmospheric map.

E2M8 for the "oh shit, whatever owns this place hung up 4 barons with ease.. Oh shit" moment.

-

Map08 for overwhelming you with choice right from the start, and (depending on which door you pick) flooding the whole place with monsters almost immediately.

Map11 for the fact that its a huge circle above nukage. This has always been one of my favorite Doom2 maps.

Map20 for the epic Cyber VS Mastermind battle, of course!


Those are the ones that immediately jump to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Royal_Sir said:

That one castle map thats in Doom 2

Please tell me its not The Citadel.

Does it stand out? Yes.
Does it stand out annoyingly? Yes.

Share this post


Link to post

The early versions of E1M4, for the swastika. It worked on multiple levels: "they've brought in a new level of evil", "wolfenstein callback", and as the first example of the "evil symbols" motif that would become more prominent as you get closer to, and deeper into, Hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Voros said:

Please tell me its not The Citadel.

Does it stand out? Yes.
Does it stand out annoyingly? Yes.

Why? I thought that map was good. I sure had fun on it.
It's not the damn Chasm or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
nxGangrel said:

Why? I thought that map was good. I sure had fun on it.
It's not the damn Chasm or anything.

The Chasm had the most weird thing in the whole game (I thought) walking on long paper thin catwalks with lost of turning while over pits of acid to the left & right that if you fall; you die. Such weird shit of the wad design. Wasn't very much fun but it was really different than any of the other levels

Share this post


Link to post

Citadel was the map that frustrated me the most of all Doom 2 on my first playthrough of it. I remember hopelessly wandering around for a really long time, then exploiting the game's imperfect physics to clip between the blue torches in the water to get to the "secret" area which turned out to be the only way how I could beat the map. Chasm was OK in comparison, as I was saving frequently, so that occasionally falling off a ledge could be resolved quickly, even though I've lost one savegame due to saving while standing on the ledge but with my center off the ledge, so the game loaded my position onto the ground with nukage while making me stuck in the ledge.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

Citadel was the map that frustrated me the most of all Doom 2 on my first playthrough of it. I remember hopelessly wandering around for a really long time, then exploiting the game's imperfect physics to clip between the blue torches in the water to get to the "secret" area which turned out to be the only way how I could beat the map. Chasm was OK in comparison, as I was saving frequently, so that occasionally falling off a ledge could be resolved quickly, even though I've lost one savegame due to saving while standing on the ledge but with my center off the ledge, so the game loaded my position onto the ground with nukage while making me stuck in the ledge.

lol that sounds like such typical bullfuck that would happen in that game. I remember saving it a nano second before being hit in the back by some god dam shit some fuck threw at me & reloading it & it would reload the game AS im being hit EVEN when I pause the game immediately after loading it to try to type in IDDQD just to survive the shot SO many god dam motherfuckin times.

Share this post


Link to post

Tricks & Traps, Dead Simple (Mostly because of it having enough notice to be paid homage in Doom 2016), O' of Destruction, and Abandoned Mines stick out for me.

Share this post


Link to post

Dead Simple is worthy candidate of one of the most memorable maps in Doom 2, besides the final boss. It was frightening seeing the giant mancubuses for the first time and learning to maneuver their fireballs in order to exploit their weakness and shoot them down, and just when you thought it was over, a bunch of arachnotrons crawl out of the arena in an attempt to bombard you with energy balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Bernie said:

Dead Simple is worthy candidate of one of the most memorable maps in Doom 2, besides the final boss. It was frightening seeing the giant mancubuses for the first time and learning to maneuver their fireballs in order to exploit their weakness and shoot them down, and just when you thought it was over, a bunch of arachnotrons crawl out of the arena in an attempt to bombard you with energy balls.

PLUS Dead Simple has 2 tags in it that will not work in ANY other map. "666" for when you kill the last mancubus & the walls lower down & archnotrons come out of the walls AND 667 for when you kill the last archnotron & the step raises up to the exit. NO other map in the game has that feature. Ive tried it; the shit dont work elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Byeblothingal 1024 said:

PLUS Dead Simple has 2 tags in it that will not work in ANY other map. "666" for when you kill the last mancubus & the walls lower down & archnotrons come out of the walls AND 667 for when you kill the last archnotron & the step raises up to the exit. NO other map in the game has that feature. Ive tried it; the shit dont work elsewhere.


I know right. The map is just so iconic in and out of itself. On an added bonus, it's also one of the only good doom 2 maps for dm.

Share this post


Link to post
TraceOfSpades said:

Slough of Despair stands out because I absolutely hate it. Even more than Hangar.


why do you hate hangar?

scifista42 said:

Citadel was the map that frustrated me the most of all Doom 2 on my first playthrough of it. I remember hopelessly wandering around for a really long time, then exploiting the game's imperfect physics to clip between the blue torches in the water to get to the "secret" area which turned out to be the only way how I could beat the map. Chasm was OK in comparison, as I was saving frequently, so that occasionally falling off a ledge could be resolved quickly, even though I've lost one savegame due to saving while standing on the ledge but with my center off the ledge, so the game loaded my position onto the ground with nukage while making me stuck in the ledge.


ye...i just got done beating doom 2, and tbh that was NOT a very good level. i got so pissed off i had to noclip :/
so i spoiled my no-cheating run of doom 2 because of the citadel. fml.

Share this post


Link to post

I also had to cheat to beat the Citadel as a kid, I was honestly pissed when I found out how obscure and hard to find the 'intended' route to beat it is. It's an exception in that most maps aren't that frustrating to solve.

Share this post


Link to post

To me, the Chasm stands out from the other maps. You have all these hellish maps after level 20 and then Chasm comes along and throws in a earthly feel.

Share this post


Link to post

That really is a good point. Simply replacing all the nukage textures with blood textures would have gone a long way to make it's theme more suitable among the other hellish maps.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×