Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Freedoom Story

Voros said:

In case anyone's interested, here's the DeHacked lump I added the intermission screens in.

Download it and rename it to DEH. It should work.

https://github.com/Voros2/freedoom/blob/Voros2-patch-4/lumps/dehacked.lmp

Voros, while you're at it, maybe you'd also replace the "1% health/armour bonus" strings with "vitality boost" and "shield charge" as I had proposed a while ago? (That is, unless there are any objections to these changes.)

theJF, that's a very neat story!

MrFlibble said:

Voros, while you're at it, maybe you'd also replace the "1% health/armour bonus" strings with "vitality boost" and "shield charge" as I had proposed a while ago? (That is, unless there are any objections to these changes.)

Well I might, but not sure. In game, its not like the energy shield system you proposed. And raymoo's new armor sprites don't help with that idea.

But I'll see what can be done.

And TheJF, I like that story. Probably because I felt like I was in that world. But I dislike the fact that player is a murderous criminal, when the game revolves around saving humanity :/

Voros said:

But I dislike the fact that player is a murderous criminal, when the game revolves around saving humanity :/

Yeah, I think you're right. It would be better for the player character to be innocent or framed. I'll probably post something more later.
And thanks to you and MrFlibble for the kind words ;)

theJF said:

Yeah, I think you're right. It would be better for the player character to be innocent or framed. I'll probably post something more later.
And thanks to you and MrFlibble for the kind words ;)

or he could have accidentally shot a soldier in combat. he could've been a soldier

raymoohawk said:

why does everyone want to make freedoom guy a soldier? what's with the soldier worship anyway?

Soldier worship?

And my story doesnt even mention if FDoomguy is a soldier. I leave it upto the player to think who Fdoomguy is :D

BTW Flibble, i checked your messages out and i liked it. Makes Freedoom feel like its own thing.

Here's a tweaked version of the intro story and three end-of-episode texts. Feel free to use, abuse or refuse...

Intro

Spoiler

The judge is finally getting to the end of his pompous lecture. Almost two hours of unbelievable fiction masquerading as justice is finally coming to an end. You look at the jury again. Nobody meets your eyes. Do they believe this? Do they care? One of your guards interrupts your concentration by jabbing his rifle into your shoulder. The judge pauses and you turn to face him. The court adjutant gives a discreet nod. Your guards grab your arms and haul you to your feet.

"Rarely has this court seen such a collection of the gravest offences. Assault. Murder. Multiple counts of attempted murder. Resisting arrest. Conspiracy. Treason." The judge pauses, as if to make sure he didn't miss any. No, it seems that's everything. "Considered together with the defendent's total lack of contrition, not to mention the repeated contempt shown to this court, I have no choice but to pass the harshest sentence permitted by the law."

There's a surprise. The adjutant gestures at the clerk to make sure the next part is recorded. The judge can barely supress a self-satisified grin. You'd almost think he doesn't get to do this routine that often.

"You will be taken from this court and placed into the custody of the Astra Genetic Materials corporation. All of your civil and human rights are hereby forfeit and your legal status henceforth shall be that of private property of the Astra Genetic Materials corporation. This sentence is final and permanent with no right of appeal or review."

You knew it would either be this or a firing squad. Most people would be hoping for the firing squad. The judge dismisses the court and the adjutant orders everyone to stand. The judge drags his bulk out of his throne and disappears through a private door. The adjutant signals for the guards to take you away. A keypad beeps and the floor panels behind you slide back to reveal metallic steps leading down to the holding cells. You are shoved down into the darkness.

After what is euphemistically called "processing" you are drugged, restrained and loaded into a small AGM shuttle. The guard is joking with the pilot. You hear the engines kick in as you fade out.

An explosion. Gunfire. Screaming. You snap out of the drug-induced sleep but it wasn't a dream. The shuttle is lying on its side. Black smoke is pouring from somewhere. Exposed electrical wires crackle and hiss. The pilot is dead in his seat. You know he's dead because nobody survives that amount of blood loss. The guard lies at your feet, gunshot wounds across his chest. Your hands are free, he must have unlocked your restraints just before he died. You grab the pistol from his belt and peer out of the exit hatch. The shuttle crashed near some kind of outpost. Something is moving. More gunfire rings out.

You check the pistol and disengage the safety lock. You remember the judge's final words, "...no right of appeal..."

You'll see about that...

Episode 1
Spoiler

Those...things...whatever they are, lie broken and dead. Your boots and armor are spattered with green blood. Hopefully those things don't smell worse dead than when they were alive.

Searching the chamber you finally get your hands on a terminal with director-level access. The system reveals that the "test subjects" were transferred from another AGM facility listed as Prototype Assembly. You get the co-ordinates.

If you're going to stop this madness you know where to go next...

Episode 2
Spoiler

As the last monstrosity collapses into a burning pile of junk there is a piercing blast of static. A few lights flicker amid the smouldering remnants and there is a brief pattern of loud beeps. Finally the thing goes black and dead.

You stand motionless. The Assault Tripod sent a signal before it burnt out. It reported back to someone. Someone else. Someone that needs killing.

It's time to stop this. Once and for all.

Episode 3
Spoiler

It's over. All of the foul abominations spewed out of AGM's vats have been put down and the laboratories and workshops destroyed.

Now it's just clean-up. Time to take down the corporate suits who thought this was a good idea. They won't be able to buy their way of this.

And one other thing - to make sure your boss, the Minister of Internal Security, has your fake trial overturned so you can start your next assignment...

Cool.
Here's the one I made

Spoiler

E1TEXT = This Site is safe now.\n\
Sure, everyone's dead, but so are they.\n\
The monsters that infested this place\n\
no longer exist in this reality. But it\n\
feels wrong. Too simple. They never stopped\n\
you, only slowed you down. Why?\n\n\
What were they hiding from you so\n\
desperately anyway?\n\n\
You step on the teleporter hoping to find\n\
out right now.
E2TEXT = The brutes rip themselves apart\n\
as they fall on the soft ground\n\
blood leaking.\n\
metal burning.\n\
They're dead. But is it over? No.\n\n\
The soil beneath your feet starts to quake.\n\
It opens up, swallowing you down into\n\
the darkness below.\n\n\
Another portal lies down there.\n\
And you fall right through it.\n\n\
No, it's only the beginning.
E3TEXT = The spider explodes into oblivion.\n\
The monsters look confused.\n\
But fuck them. As you kill off the rest of\n\
the creatures, you see a hidden door.\n\
And behind it, lies an AGM teleporter\n\n\
Set for Earth.\n\n\
Well, at least it's better than here.\n\
You step on the teleporter, waiting for that\n\
strange feeling of speed and pain.\n\
Nothing happens. Too much weight.\n\
You drop all your weapons on the ground\n\
and step on the platform one more time.\n\
You feel your body break down\n\
then reassemble back on Earth...
E4TEXT = Despite fighting an army of monsters\n\
you manage to reach the\n\
spacecraft by the skin of your teeth.\n\n\
"Time to get out of here."\n\
You tell yourself and plump down\n\
on the comfortable chair.\n\n\
The ship rumbles as she wakes up,\n\
thrusters warmed up,\n\
As you lift off, something comes up.\n\n\
"What's happening back on Earth?"\n\n\
A part of you says you don't want to know.\n\
But you're no backstabbing coward.\n\
Destination: Earth
# After MAP06, before MAP07:
C1TEXT = You've found your way to the complex's\n\
outer storage warehouse. You hear growls.\n\
A squadron was sent here, judging from the\n\
two 4x4 vehicles parked near the gates.\n\n\
So where are they?\n\n\
Most likely dead. Or turned into monsters.\n\
Best to end their misery now than later.\n\
You loot the vehicles and open the gates.\n\
The lift hums as you enter, lowering down.\n\
Planted your feet and checked your weapon.\n\n\
Time to go up.
# After MAP11, before MAP12:
C2TEXT = You're on the ledge, looking down\n\
into the void below. It pulls you inch by\n\
inch. But you fight back against the\n\
force. Looking back at the city, you\n\
know that it's hopeless to save it now.\n\
The whole place is yielding to the void.\n\n\
As you get near the teleporter, one of\n\
the steel bars holding it in place flys off\n\
right into the abyss. You don't have much\n\
time until the teleporter goes in too.\n\n\
You quickly hop on the platform, and feel\n\
that tingling sensation of movement.\n\n\
But you're not going somewhere\n\
familiar. You're going to the source.
# After MAP20, before MAP21:
C3TEXT = There is no AGM here. no humans.\n\
Just monsters and monsters. And you.\n\
This could be the beginning of the end.\n\n\
The end of this massacre of mankind.\n\n\
No man has ever entered this wasteland.\n\n\
This path to the very core of the slaughter.\n\n\
Filled with toxicity.\n\n\
Fueled with agony.\n\n\
And you're going to take it.
# After MAP30 (endgame text):
C4TEXT = The gigantic beast becomes unstable.\n\
Its final roar echoes throughout the room\n\
till it crumples in a billow of smoke and a\n\
pool of blood and molten metal.\n\n\
A portal opens up, and in it, you see a small\n\
town. You jump in, forgetting the past.\n\
Humanity learned its lesson this time.\n\n\
Hopefully.\n\n\
No one will know know who saved them.\n\n\
No one will know what happened here.\n\n\
No one will ever find you again.

Whee, my intermission screens, MrFlibble's messages and my messages, level names(except C3M5) and enemy name updates was merged.

Voros said:

Whee, my intermission screens, MrFlibble's messages and my messages, level names(except C3M5) and enemy name updates was merged.

eh nvm i like the prisoner idea

TBQH I'm not very concerned with the story. In any case:

The player should be a genetically modified soldier who breaks free in the midst of the initial invasion. Maybe the start room of E1M1 should be the chamber he breaks free of. Kinda like the start of Doom 4.

The general outline should be that of Doom's: evil corporation messes with things they shouldn't, then monsters pour in from "the other dimension".

But Freedoom at least needs a theme, a setting of some kind.

We know Doom involves a space marine fighting against Hell.

So what about Freedoom? Who is the player? Whats he fighting?

These are the questions i would love to answer.

Voros said:

But Freedoom at least needs a theme, a setting of some kind.

We know Doom involves a space marine fighting against Hell.

So what about Freedoom? Who is the player? Whats he fighting?

These are the questions i would love to answer.

the story of freedoom is about a framed prisoner fighting to break free from the AGM corp

Voros said:

Elaborate your story.

like thats what i thought that the story that you made was...

also do you like my custom pfp/gif

Added another small update to my proposed backstory.

Is it getting better?

Spoiler

The ship rumbles as it lands on the docking bay. You tug at the shackles holding your arms and legs, wondering what AGM will do to you. How did they even find you? You covered your tracks wherever you went, and for so many years. Yet, AGM has gotten their dirty hands on you once more. What did you miss?

"Alright, take the subject to Biological Research ASAP. Don't want to keep those doctors waiting, unless you know what's good for you." Says the Commander in front of you. The two soldiers besides him pick both of your arms up and drag you out of the ship...

The doctors did something to you. "Muscular Enhancement Injections" and "Bone Calcium Ossification", at least that's what you heard. But right now, something went wrong, judging from the screams, gunfire and strange animalistic sounds coming from the outside your prison. It doesn't sound very good... And silence takes over what was once the loudest, frightening things you've ever heard.

A strange creature bangs on your cell door, now destroyed by the bullet holes and scorch marks. Something in you causes the drugs to take action. With each hit against the door, you pull against the chains harder and harder. And that's when you realise that your chains are broken. You're free. The creature now stands in front of you. Its left arm clearly has a tag labelled "AGM". The corridor behind it looks like a horror show.

Your new strength easily defeats the monster. Walking down the deserted hallway, you're back in the docking bay, filled with the signs of an immense firefight. There's dead soldiers everywhere, and two monsters rotting away. Looks more like a last stand. You go up to one of the corpses and salvage what you can. Clothes. Armor. Pistol.

You're glad AGM is getting their asses kicked. But this outbreak could spread all the way to Earth. You can't let that happen, can't put innocent civilians in harm's way. This fight is between you and them.

Voros said:

Is it getting better?

Spoiler

The ship rumbles as it lands on the docking bay. You tug at the shackles holding your arms and legs, wondering what AGM will do to you. How did they even find you? You covered your tracks wherever you went, and for so many years. Yet, AGM has gotten their dirty hands on you once more. What did you miss?

"Alright, take the subject to Biological Research ASAP. Don't want to keep those doctors waiting, unless you know what's good for you." Says the Commander in front of you. The two soldiers besides him pick both of your arms up and drag you out of the ship...

The doctors did something to you. "Muscular Enhancement Injections" and "Bone Calcium Ossification", at least that's what you heard. But right now, something went wrong, judging from the screams, gunfire and strange animalistic sounds coming from the outside your prison. It doesn't sound very good... And silence takes over what was once the loudest, frightening things you've ever heard.

A strange creature bangs on your cell door, now destroyed by the bullet holes and scorch marks. Something in you causes the drugs to take action. With each hit against the door, you pull against the chains harder and harder. And that's when you realise that your chains are broken. You're free. The creature now stands in front of you. Its left arm clearly has a tag labelled "AGM". The corridor behind it looks like a horror show.

Your new strength easily defeats the monster. Walking down the deserted hallway, you're back in the docking bay, filled with the signs of an immense firefight. There's dead soldiers everywhere, and two monsters rotting away. Looks more like a last stand. You go up to one of the corpses and salvage what you can. Clothes. Armor. Pistol.

You're glad AGM is getting their asses kicked. But this outbreak could spread all the way to Earth. You can't let that happen, can't put innocent civilians in harm's way. This fight is between you and them.

i made an edit of c1M1 that adds a starting point inside the testing room... i cant seem to get it working with prboom though... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V9rJ251TaObXFqR2wtN1U0b3c/view?usp=sharing

Voros said:

Is it getting better?

Spoiler

http://www.mediafire.com/download/31utv3pdmt265xa/Freedoom_mazmon_1.mid you guys should use this for c1m1 its by maz hades "who is banned for some reson"

Zerthex said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/31utv3pdmt265xa/Freedoom_mazmon_1.mid you guys should use this for c1m1 its by maz hades "who is banned for some reson"

Not sure what track that is until i hear it.
Edit: ok now that I listened to it, I prefer the current C1M1, as this one sounds too similar to Doom's e1m1.

Zerthex said:

i made an edit of c1M1 that adds a starting point inside the testing room... i cant seem to get it working with prboom though... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V9rJ251TaObXFqR2wtN1U0b3c/view?usp=sharing

Can't run in PrBoom? Then fix it.

============

Damn it Zerthex, make a new thread!

Voros said:

Not sure what track that is until i hear it.

Can't run in PrBoom? Then fix it.

============

Damn it Zerthex, make a new thread!

i have a link to the track and also i dont know how to fix the map

Voltcom9 said:

Soldier just kind of makes sense as to why the player can competently use so many different guns. It is also the closest resemblance to the Doom marine that everyone already knows. Not that I care either way but that's my 2 cents.

but freedoom guy is only as good at using the weapons as the person playing the game, some players may even start out terrible, and get better trough practice

raymoohawk said:

but freedoom guy is only as good at using the weapons as the person playing the game, some players may even start out terrible, and get better trough practice

Well the same thing is basically in Doom, and you're supposed to be a space marine in there. We all had to practice playing Doom at first, didn't we?

Same thing here.

anyway have you guys fixed the title in the menu of the freedoom daily build yet...

or have you put in the pistol...

Voros said:

Well the same thing is basically in Doom, and you're supposed to be a space marine in there. We all had to practice playing Doom at first, didn't we?

Same thing here.

my point was the character doesnt have to be a marine to explain skillful play, since the player is just as likely to be unskilled at the game

Zerthex said:

anyway have you guys fixed the title in the menu of the freedoom daily build yet...

or have you put in the pistol...

Title has been fixed (sorry about that!)

And no Fraggle still hasn't merged the pistol for some reason.

@raymoohawk ...Well my proposal mentions nothing about Freedoom guy being a soldier. Neither does Impie's proposal. Its just what you guys came up with.