Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

Are there any good maps without.. linedef actions?

I don't think so, and you need at least an exit action btw. Also no actions means no puzzles, traps and all the stuff that make a map really interesting.

ChekaAgent said:

Lol, i'm just curious, are there any good maps that don't utilize any linedef actions?

... Gallerys? In that case, there's a lot of them in the x-rated section.
But what gaspe said is true: you'll need an exit

That's a mapping compilation theme, there: only a single linedef action per map, an exit. You could do whatever you wanted with level geo and things. A barrel or a deaf monster blocking a doorway and facing away from the player would be a "door". Keys wouldn't be meaningful.

gaspe said:

I don't think so, and you need at least an exit action btw.

You can use the damaging floor exit (a la E1M8) to avoid needing one for that.

Also, I'm sure there's at least a handful of maps that meet the requirement of having no linedef actions (except an exit switch), but the one that first comes to mind is 10 Sectors Map32, which I am pretty sure has none.

Linguica said:

You can use the damaging floor exit (a la E1M8) to avoid needing one for that.

Or the Romero head on a stick, which exits the level upon killing it. I even remember playing several maps outside of MAP30 slot where the level had to be exited this way.

JPL said:

That's a mapping compilation theme, there: only a single linedef action per map, an exit. You could do whatever you wanted with level geo and things. A barrel or a deaf monster blocking a doorway and facing away from the player would be a "door". Keys wouldn't be meaningful.

Might be fun, but I think most levels use too few actions and voodoo doll setups, not too many. Dynamism is fun; even dynamism for the sake of dynamism is often a good design choice.

This thread is pure blasphemy to me and causes my brain to overheat, igniting my hair and making me angry, but I'll settle for saying +1 to rdwpa's comment. I like it when a map plays out in different ways, especially if it feels dynamic around the player.

I suppose some outdoor map with extreme height variation and scale with some platform jumping could be neat to look at and distract you from the fact that nothing does anything, but in many cases the idea of a map where nothing moves makes a map feel sterile. Lose the opportunity to stimulate the players mind with puzzles or plug him in surprise traps, and there's really no reason to play the map. Even just having doors and pushwalls didn't save Wolf3D from getting too repetitive.

I've been entertaining an idea like this actually, a map depicting a natural environment (such as an underground cavern system) with NO manmade structures whatsoever. No switches, doors, lifts, keys etc. and no artificial decor such as metal supports. At most, you'd occasionally stumble upon marine corpses with items nearby.

That means no doors, no platforms, etc. So pure uninterrupted movement, the player flowing from place to place without ever being forced to stop.

I suppose such a challenge might be better suited for deathmatch maps. Heck, DM maps don't even need an exit switch.

There are two sector effects for doors - close after 30 secs, open after 300 secs. Also you could use tag666 and the keendie codepointer, plus map07 stuff.

Or you could cheat with those zdoom sector action things and make a normal map.

I like the idea of substituting teleports with Quake-style wall portals that are actually just passable midtextures (either opaque or semi-transparent, and animated to give an impression of a teleport) that separate 2 different-looking rooms on the opposite sides of the portal/texture.

^ ooooo that gives me a really good idea for a map I'm trying to finish making that's been driving me crazy.