Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

Sprite request: Taller, thinner arachnotron

Arachnotron's stock sprites are so short that his plasma projectiles appear to be fired from his face instead of his cannon. At the same time, Arachnotron is wide, which makes him hard to use in maps. I wanted to make a wad where I'd replace the Arachnotron with a slightly thinner enemy with shorter delay before attacking (done via DEHACKED), and I thought it would be best accompanied with a custom sprite set. It needs to make the Arachnotron look no wider than he already is (not necessarily thinner much at all, because vanilla Arachnotron's thing's radius is already larger than his sprite's width, but it shouldn't become any wider than that), and ideally also fix the face plasma issue by placing the plasma cannon high-enough above the ground. I'd like it to look like an organic body-or-head on mechanical spider-like legs, but other than this description, it doesn't have to look like the vanilla Arachnotron. Do any appropriately and sensibly looking sprites exist, or is anybody volunteering to create them?

For a quick & dirty solution, you can use X and Y scaling in the Arachnotron's Thing definition.

Mordeth said:

For a quick & dirty solution, you can use X and Y scaling in the Arachnotron's Thing definition.

Vertically stretched head looks horrible, but vertically stretched legs alone seem OK, so for a basic solution, I could maybe simply edit the sprites in a graphic editor to stretch them vertically, then delete the stretched head and replace it with the original, unstretched head. Thanks for the idea. (Still not the ideal solution, though.)

scifista42, have you checked out the Arachnotron in Mayan Mishap? Perhaps better suited to your needs than the original? Its heavily touched up, so I suppose they would have fixed any height glitches on it.