Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Trooper

What program works best for mass exporting/importing flats, patches and sprites?

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times.

What program works best for mass exporting/importing flats, patches and sprites?

Example: I want to export ALL enemy sprites from a Doom IWAD (as BMP or PNG), and then modify them however I wish, and then import all of the newly modified sprites back into a new PWAD file.

What program will allow me to do this the absolute quickest?

Side note: I wrote a program in VB .NET to mass modify whole sets of image files so I can chose one aspect of an image to warp and then apply the method to all image files at once, thereby allowing me to change all of the sprites for one "enemy".

If I can quickly export everything from the IWAD, and then quickly modify everything, and then quickly place it all back into a new PWAD, it will be purdy kewl.

Hope someone can help.

Doom_Trooper said:

Defintely Slade3.
To keep it simple and manageable, highlight all image lumps and export as png into dedicated folders.

Doom_Trooper said:

Side note: I wrote a program in VB .NET to mass modify whole sets of image files so I can chose one aspect of an image to warp and then apply the method to all image files at once, thereby allowing me to change all of the sprites for one "enemy".

You might also try the batch conversion process in XnView.
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/

Doom_Trooper said:

If I can quickly export everything from the IWAD, and then quickly modify everything, and then quickly place it all back into a new PWAD, it will be purdy kewl.

Indeed :)

Doom_Trooper said:

I want to export ALL enemy sprites from a Doom IWAD (as BMP or PNG), and then modify them however I wish, and then import all of the newly modified sprites back into a new PWAD file.

If your "modification" consists of merely recoloring them (not resizing etc.), the easiest solution is to just open the IWAD in SLADE3, select the sprites you want to modify, and use "Graphic -> Color Remap" feature to recolor them. To copy them to a PWAD, simply use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V while having both wads opened in 2 separate tabs in the same instance of SLADE3. Of course, you may first copy them and then recolor them, too.