Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMancuBus

John Romero talk about new Doom and Quake Champions

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/447153/John+Romero+talks+Quake+Champions+and+the+new+Doom/

John Romero: "They look really great, you know, it's amazing to see the translation of the original creatures into the new ones and using the latest and greatest technology and animation, and that it was a reboot so it was trying to be faithful to the original game and the metrics of firing the guns and the damage and everything being recreated, movement, everything".

"It was great to see the team cared so much about recreating the classic to really go for it in the future from there forward and make something new hopefully.

"Then with the announcement of Quake Champions... this is basically a scene where you look at Bethesda and think about Bethesda's viewpoint, like, here are these three franchises, one of them is this cool Wolfenstein, German, Nazi thing, the other one is Doom, is this demonic shooter, and then Quake which they decided "let's go off of the Quake Live, Quake III Arena multiplayer because the segment that they want to nail is esports and the Overwatch, TF2, Lawbreakers area".

"And so Quake was an example of a game that went into that multiplayer-only territory and would be accepted by players as being a multiplayer-only game, whereas the Quake that I made was not".

"It was a single-player game, and it was multiplayer, and it was H.P. Lovecraft design, and very dark and disturbing. I think there's still room for making another one of those, but it's great to see that they're still going and that with the successes of the most recent installations I just don't see them not making the next versions of them".

Quake came out damn cool for how disjointed the content development part of it was. It would be great for a new singleplayer game to take another stab at it. I still have fingers crossed.

Meanwhile Yahtzee did a retro review of Q1.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116919-Quake-Retro-Review

Him describing the shub-niggurath as an upside down barstool with an overactive menstrual cycle I wish I could forget.

The might as well give Machine Games the job if they really want to do it, don't know what else they have going on.
I'm sure they will love to do it giving that they did an entire episode for the original Quake.

vinnie245 said:

The might as well give Machine Games the job if they really want to do it, don't know what else they have going on.
I'm sure they will love to do it giving that they did an entire episode for the original Quake.

A really good looking episode, from what I've played. If they can do that with vanilla Quake, imagine what they can do with id Tech 6.

Every now and then these things nearly bring a tear to my eye. Those were truly amazing days, but yeah things need to move on, and that's what I have a few issues with, at times.

I'm not going to start another "what I don't like about DOOM'16" post, the fact of the matter is that AAA games seem to need more than good core mechanics, and decent leveldesign these days, DOOM'16 and the upcoming quake-champions are just two examples of many.

On one hand I really loved how "basic" quake3 was in terms of mechanics, on the other hand, I may have liked it even better, if it had something more going for it. But still quake3 ate a lot of my time, be it online or versus bots, which were somewhat "smart", given they were rather simple routines compared to what some games do nowadays.

I wonder if there will ever be another SP-Quake. I mean quake4 has been frowned upon quite a bit, but was it really so bad that there is no incentive to create another single-player experience at all? I mean something like quake1 was, with its own different "microcosmic" episodes, along with its unique atmosphere. Give me quake1 reboot, bring Reznor along for the ride, and I'll love you longtime id...

Mechazawa said:

Off topicish, but another SP Unreal would be nice.

Only if it's based on the original Unreal. Unreal 2: The Awakening was terrible.