Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egyptian Guardian

Does "Legacy of Suffering" recreate Doom 3 successfully?

I have heard about a mod by the name of "Legacy of Suffering" that aims to recreate the feeling of Doom 3 through the Doom 2 engine. Has anyone ever played this mod, and how well does it reminisce of Doom 3? My pc can't run it, so for now, I have to look for an alternative. Please inform me. Explain it's goodsides. Explain it's downsides.

It has that Doom 3 feeling with classic Doom gameplay. It was apparently inspired by the Doom movie from what I read.

Upsides: some neat visual effects, a couple of fun weapons
Downsides: combat is mostly "get stuck in a room, monsters spawn, kill all monsters to unlock the doors" and the automap was kinda disabled

In its quiet moments it looks and feels pretty much like Doom 3. When all hell breaks loose, it has an even stonger focus on arena combat. The combat sountrack is a "subtle" hint at the second major source of inspiration for the authors: Painkiller.

All of that can be good or bad, depending on your attitude towards the aforementioned two games.

The visuals are quite similar, but it plays very differently, focusing more on arena combat and enemy waves (which is more like the new Doom than Doom 3, honestly)

except Doom 4 had bigger, more vertically spanning levels instead of a bunch of narrow, dark corridors with its arenas.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

except Doom 4 had bigger, more vertically spanning levels instead of a bunch of narrow, dark corridors with its arenas.

That's certainly true, Doom 4 is much more fun. LoS still was fun when I played it, though.