Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zulk RS

Encountering a weird glitch.

I was mapping as usual and when I finally tried to test it, I saw this sky texture in this sector.

When I tried to fix it in GZDoomBuilder, Everything seemed fine.

Can anyone help me fix this? It wasn't there before but it appeared after I made a few new sectors in the map (Away from this sector).

First check Map Analysis mode if there are any unclosed sectors or other issues within the map, and correct them if they are. If there's no improvement, check all of the sector's neighboring linedefs (and if the sector is joined with another sector, check that one's neighboring linedefs as well) if any of them has any suspicious action, such as "transfer heights" or "sector 3D floor" or "change texture" or "floor move and change texture", that could be applied onto the sector. If this is not the case either, then this glitch is probably a GL-nodebuilder error (as the screenshot looks like GZDoom in OpenGL mode). As it's not a problem with the map, there's no "clean" way of fixing it, so you pretty much have to randomly tinker with vertices (moving/adding/deleting them) near the affected area until the nodebuilder will be able to build the nodes properly.

I will definitely check it out later. But like I said, It wasn't there for the longest time. It appeared after I made a few new sectors in a part of the map that doesn't really have anything to do with this sector in particular.

Even then, I haven't touched the sky texture in a while. I should also add that the area which has this problem isn't even a sector but rather part of a larger sector with no lindefs in between.

EDIT:
Current Screenshots:

I went into map analysis mode and found a ton of lines shorter than 1 mu. But the problem is that I ingrained these things with larger sectors in every case. Now what do I do?

As I told you at the end of my first post in this thread.

scifista42 said:

you pretty much have to randomly tinker with vertices (moving/adding/deleting them) near the affected area until the nodebuilder will be able to build the nodes properly.

Extended nodes wouldn't help, because this problem happens in GZDoom in OpenGL mode, which doesn't use either regular, deep or extended nodes, but only GL nodes.

@scifista42
I did some dragging vertices around and I fixed the problem thanks to your advice. But for future reference, is there any way to use lines less than 1 mu and not have the map shit itself?

Node builder errors are kind of "pseudo-random". The more elaborate and non-orthogonal your map is, the more they are likely to happen, generally said - but that's all. I don't even know if those less than 1 mu lines in your map had anything in common with the node builder error (though they might have). "Less than 1 mu" usually means "zero-length" linedefs, which should normally be auto-deleted by the editor upon creation (when you draw a sequence of linedefs and click the same vertex twice in succession, or when you drag one vertice onto another while there was a linedef connecting them), but sometimes they don't, so try to get rid of them manually.

You probably know this already, but those less than 1 mu lines were created as a by-product of trying to create sectors for lighting and stuff. Their lengths were 0.XX