Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

Do you feel embarrassed playing on the easiest difficulty?

10 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

First and second difficulties are blah blah blah

Can you please stop bumping old difficulty-setting threads? You seem to have this weird obsession with them. Just keep it to your own thread please.

I played exclusively on ITYTD back when I was new to Doom. I didn't feel embarrassed about it back then, and I don't feel embarrassed about having only upped my difficulty of preference to HNTR even in 10 years. I still touch ITYTD occasionally as well, especially on slaughterwads and other such map(set)s.

I do intend to do playthroughs of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on UV at some point, though. But not before I tackle them on HMP.

Nope, I'm neither ashamed or proud. Honestly I just keep pressing enter so my pick is "Hurt me plenty".

I can't play on the easy difficulty because it makes the levels way too boring. 

13 hours ago, GarrettChan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Best bump

I though I've left something in a topic like this, and then I looked at the date, and I haven't even joined Doomworld back then. LOL

You were probably remembering your response to the thread about whether UV was the only way to play Doom (or something like that).

I wasn't on DW when the original thread was posted (lurking probably, but not a member), so I'll add my response:

No. I don't feel embarrassed to play on lower difficulty levels; in fact, I prefer to play on lower difficulty levels unless there is a particular reason not to, such as the requirements of a challenge (see DW Ironman League) or lower difficulty levels not being implemented properly by design (see Slaughtermax, where HNTR was left up to the designer how they wanted to implement it, so it wasn't necessarily a lower difficulty level).

Furthermore, to answer the OP, I play games, in general, on lower difficulty levels.

I tend to agree with Ancalagon (see page 1) and come down on the side of play Doom however you want to that makes it fun for you. If that's ITYTD saving every 5 seconds, great. If that's NM with your feet while wearing an eye patch, more power to you. I enjoy playing Doom on lower difficulty levels and will continue to do so without apology.

No embarrassment here.  I only play Doom on my Xbox 360 (via Live download) and on a PSOne (with the fold up LCD screen).  Though I play them both on UV, PSX Doom is generally "easier" on UV once Phobos Anomaly is cleared, as there are no episodes (so you can carry all of your weapons throughout), and some PSX Doom levels are cut/shortened (some quite a bit, like Spawning Vats)...it makes for quicker level-clearing, and a more streamlined experience.  So in a way PSX Doom as a whole represents my easier difficulty "setting", even if I'm still playing that game's version of UV. 

Admittedly E2 and E3 on UV (360 Doom) are much tougher having to start from scratch, from a weapons standpoint...in some ways I kinda hate having to be so much more careful with ammo, but at the same time it makes for a cool challenge.  I'll probably start 360 E4 levels on HMP...I've only played E4 levels on the PSX, and those were tough even with a nice stash of weapons going in (also doesn't help that PSX frame rate gets pretty chuggy on some of these levels). 

Never had much interest in starting every level with only a pistol and 50 bullets.  Just not my thing, but if I ever did decide to try that, I'd probably play on HNTR or HMP.