Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

If Mordeth were released today, would you care?

Let me preface this thread by saying that I don't mean to discredit Mordeth or its creator by any means. I'm only purposefully surveying for community input. If you don't already know, The "Mordeth Award" found in the Doomworld Cacowards is named after the project "Mordeth" which is said to be the doom project with the longest development time.

Today, out of curiosity, I decided to have a look at some videos of the Mordeth demo that was released many years ago. Having looked at it this many years later, it seems pretty primitive. Without a doubt, the tastes of the Doom community have changed since 1999 and what was considered good back then seems almost mediocre today.

Suppose Mordeth has been in active development all this time and in some random circumstance, the creator(s) felt it was finally complete and released it today, do you think it would be a big deal? Certainly it would get attention as being the most infamous wad to have the longest development time actually see the light of day. But still, do you think you would enjoy playing it?

As somebody with a lot of personal investment in Eternity I would certainly care about Mordeth if it were released. If you were to peek into the Eternity subforum you would see that Mordeth has been active, and found bugs and such that we (Team Eternity) have managed to stomp out for the most part. Additionally, Mordeth is not bound by the constraints on the initial set of maps that we all saw, and his maps are likely better for it.

I'd certainly take a look, yes. As far as enjoying playing them, that depends on the map, doesn't it?

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested. I've been playing PWADs since before the project became known primarily for being stuck in perpetual development Limbo, so I wouldn't be concerned much with how the original episode fits in with current standards/mores/folkways. Thinking about it, though, I think I'd still be interested even if I'd never seen the original episode in its original context, simply because it would represent a major project release for the Eternity engine (of which I am a fan). Aren't exactly many of those around, to put it lightly.

Given the things that have come out in the past couple of years, I'd say Mordeth would still be up there with the high ranking quality stuff.

I actually did think it was mediocre when it was initially released, and then gave it another try for whatever reason around ~2008 and I essentially worship it as the best thing ever now.

You can put me down as being interested as well. Just the fact that it would be a release for Eternity is enough for me to see what it's all about.

With the amount of feedback, questions and other points of interest Mordeth has been making on Eternity development over the last couple years, I have no doubt he's got something great cooking up. I'd definitely be excited.

yes. there are a few things that would shoot up to the top of my "queue". Mordeth is one of them; dr. sleep's Lethe is another.

Soundblock said:

I'd give it a whirl. Looks solid enough in the YouTube vids. Doom craftsmanship from whatever era appeals to me.

I'm not up to date at all with it's development, but basically much this. I'm sure it would at least be pretty darn good even if some aspects have remained untouched for years now. (Not even sure if this is the case at this point, but still.)

I've never been able to get the original Mordeth working properly so I can't know what all the hype is about :(

I haven't seen the videos, but even some old progress shots I remember show that things are being reworked and modernized as the time goes. It won't look like a 1999 release for sure.

I'd be interested to see the result out of curiosity, if nothing else.

If Mordeth is finally released, it would be interesting to play it.

The first one is from 1997, and many of the maps of that period are still good today, like Eternal Doom, Strain, Hell Revealed and so on.

It depends if the author is going to keep the '90 feeling in it or if he is going to update the gameplay and level design to today standards. In both cases something good can come out.

I'll have to make room for it between Half-Life 3, Doom 3 Phobos, and Chrono Trigger 2, but I'm sure it'd be half-decent at least.

If it came out and was actually good, I might be interested, but it right now it seems more like a bad in-joke than anything else. Like how people always used to snark about how Duke Nukem Forever was taking, well, forever (and then most people agreed it sucked).

Another question may be: if Mordeth hadn't been immortalised with the tongue-in-cheek award name, how many people would have remembered or discovered that a WIP project called Mordeth existed?

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Like how people always used to snark about how Duke Nukem Forever was taking, well, forever (and then most people agreed it sucked).

Long and/or troubled development typically affects the result, and often in an undesirable way. On the other hand, when the project isn't motivated by money, there's no reason to rush something half-baked out the door after wasting a lot of time with little progress.

On the other hand, the risk of never getting it done is even greater.

I'd care, but mostly because it'd mean someone finally snapped and leaked it, haha. And then there'd be an endless stream of uploads and bans and re-uploads and re-bans and re-re-uploads and re-re-bans which would bring about the End Times. It'd be amazing.