Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

If Mordeth were released today, would you care?

I wouldn't be excited for it since there's better wads out there, but would be interested in checking it out to see if lives up to the hype.

40oz said:

Suppose Mordeth has been in active development all this time and in some random circumstance, the creator(s) felt it was finally complete and released it today, do you think it would be a big deal?

Yes, because such a release would mean it comes out before the demo map I showed Gaston to get hired for the Mordeth episode 2 team - that I was fired from, I think?

Gez said:

Can we see the map that got you fired?

Reading comprehension?

This is the map as I showed it to him:
http://imgur.com/pgmPsWn
http://imgur.com/hRBnusP

It's been changed thousands of times since and will eventually come out.

The southeast room in Gothic 99 MAP06 was started using Mordeth E3 textures and most of the area after the foot of Jägermörder 2's conveyor belt began as a Mordeth E2 map that would take place in a valley. Ended up re-texturing both unfinished items for other projects.

Best laid plans of mice and men.

Afterglow said:

Best laid plans of mice and men.

So what's the planned release date for Odium bro?? Or are you planning on bagging a Mordeth award for it? ;-)

I get the feeling people's opinions about it would be more based on what it is, for good or bad, more so than the actual maps themselves. Exhibit A: Romero's maps.

Problem is, as soon as it's released, it loses its mystery and hype. And, let's face it - any old mapset could be released named Mordeth, so it could be totally scrapped and rebuilt many times over, before we see it, and maybe it has. No problem with that. What I mean to say is, maybe today's Mordeth is nothing like the Mordeth of 10 years ago.

So, let me say that, yeah I'd like to see the definitive Mordeth, possibly through its development stages. Of course, it would be awesome!

It's a matter of personal taste I guess.

If Mordeth 2 was released, I'd be absolutely excited. I am still a big fan of classic projects like Memento Mori and Requiem to name two of them and Mordeth would be just like a blast from the past.

Sure the technique is "primitive" compared to latest features, and the style wouldn't be what we are used to get now but still it would feel very nostalgic and that's what I love so much about it.

Afterglow said:

Not up to me.

1. I want us to ditch all the old textures
2. But I still don't have new replacements for them all
3. The maps are a bit old and crummy maybe?

Anyway, I'm making new textures still.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I think I might have made skies for Mordeth E2/E3 some time in the nineties? I don't have e-mails from back then so not really sure.

Mordeth needs all the help it can get to accelerate its progress. You're all welcome to help contribute to Eternity Engine :D

ukiro said:

C'mon Afterglow, you've got eough textures to finish already. Feed us some awesomeness!

i can guarantee you that a few members of the mordeth team would die before it would get released.
even if we set up a hired 20 of the greatest devs in the industry to create it, the map still wouldn't be released until 10 years later.

ukiro said:

Anyway, I'm making new textures still.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I think I might have made skies for Mordeth E2/E3 some time in the nineties? I don't have e-mails from back then so not really sure.

If you're interested in help, I make textures! All the stuff you see in Mutiny was made from scratch or using existing IWAD stuff a source, which I did about 90% of. Send me a message, if you have requests :)

ukiro said:

Yeah, the crummiest:

ukiro said:

BACK ON TOPIC:

Other than gothictx.wad, most of the Mordeth E3 resources were by you. Like the Tudor village textures (that you've since remade):

Oh that's where those went. It's insane that this is something like 15 years ago.

And ok, yeah, maybe it's more the textures that are crummy in our project. I'll fix replacements of the ones that are still unique in the old set. I made about 20 new ones today so on a good weekend I actually make some progress. If I have the latest versions of the maps I can go through and replace textures on my end.

There is a charm common to Eternity releases (this includes the unfinished TC by Quasar) to recycle as many vanilla textures as possible, while also adding Heretic/Hexen stuff, and other low-key stuff.

A better question would be: "If Mordeth was released today and it was a Terry/ChekaAgent map, would you care?"

printz said:

There is a charm common to Eternity releases (this includes the unfinished TC by Quasar) to recycle as many vanilla textures as possible, while also adding Heretic/Hexen stuff, and other low-key stuff.

Which Eternity releases do that? It's been a while since I've played De Kerker, but I know neither OPF or Vapordemo do that at least, and in any case I don't think there have really been enough releases to establish a trend in any particular direction anyway. The still-in-development HacX 2.0 certainly doesn't meet those odd criteria either. Maybe you're describing some other releases that I'm not remembering, though. o_O

Afterglow said:

Wow, I am seriously in love with that scene.

VonHootie02 said:

A better question would be: "If Mordeth was released today and it was a ztkt/Zerthex map, would you care?"

FTFY :]

Anyway, if Mordeth were released, should the Mordeth Award be renamed? We'd definitely need a new target for jokes.

The Mordeth award is for released projects that had extremely long development times, so it would only complete the cycle.

All I knew of Mordeth were a lot of mentions of it in various threads, I knew nothing about it. I would probably care in the sense where I would be happy to play something new.

esselfortium said:

Which Eternity releases do that? It's been a while since I've played De Kerker, but I know neither OPF or Vapordemo do that at least, and in any case I don't think there have really been enough releases to establish a trend in any particular direction anyway. The still-in-development HacX 2.0 certainly doesn't meet those odd criteria either. Maybe you're describing some other releases that I'm not remembering, though. o_O

Wow, I am seriously in love with that scene.

I made de kerker with recycled Freedoom resources, so I guess I kept up the trend?