Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remus

roland-gus

Recommended Posts

I just converted the Roland SoundCanvas Sound Set from GM.DLS file in GUS pats (Gravis UltraSound). I think many people appreciate it.

You can download it here:

roland-gus.7z
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5kzb4r605ory6k/roland-gus.7z

I do not know what to think about license. I found this in the text file "gmreadme.txt":

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GMREADME.TXT
Copyright (c) 1998-2000 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
------------

The GM.DLS file contains the Roland SoundCanvas Sound Set which is
protected under the following copyright:
Roland GS Sound Set/Microsoft (P) 1996 Roland Corporation U.S.
The Roland SoundCanvas Sound Set is licensed under Microsoft's
End User License Agreement for use with Microsoft operating
system products only. All other uses require a separate written
license from Roland.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that is free only for Windows users.

There is also gm.sf2:

gm.sf2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnund59mgd99jba/gm.sf2

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, though will be some small differences in several instruments because GUS it is limited and primitive. But some very small differences. Very small differences.

Share this post


Link to post

I know it's not exactly the same thing which the original post is about but is it even remotely possible to use the Munt MT32 emulator with any of the available Doom source ports?

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

I know it's not exactly the same thing which the original post is about but is it even remotely possible to use the Munt MT32 emulator with any of the available Doom source ports?


No.

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

I know it's not exactly the same thing which the original post is about but is it even remotely possible to use the Munt MT32 emulator with any of the available Doom source ports?

Nope, unfortunately. Doom music used General MIDI instrument mappings, so it's never been able to play MT-32 songs right, so MT-32 songs were never used for it, so there never was a need for a source port to implement Munt support...

Share this post


Link to post

This is really great - thanks for doing this.

Can I make a small request - in your .7z file the config file is not in the same directory as the .pat files. Would you be willing to move the .cfg file into the roland-gus subdirectory?

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

This is really great - thanks for doing this.

Can I make a small request - in your .7z file the config file is not in the same directory as the .pat files. Would you be willing to move the .cfg file into the roland-gus subdirectory?


What kind of request is that? :D

Share this post


Link to post
remus said:

What kind of request is that? :D

The gentleman was just asking
-in an educated and very polite manner-
to move a file into an more appropiate folder.

Share this post


Link to post
remus said:

What kind of request is that? :D


A small one.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomGater said:

The gentleman was just asking
-in an educated and very polite manner-
to move a file into an more appropiate folder.


No need for that. If you're a Linux user? Then you have to edit the configuration file.

You will need to add this to the top:

"dir /usr/share/timidity/rolant-gus/" (without quotes)

Then you have to move to /etc/timidity/

You will then need to edit the file /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

You will need to add: "source /etc/timidity/roland-gus.cfg" (without quotes)

Then you have to copy /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg in /etc/wildmidi/

You must ensure that you delete the old configuration from file /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

:) But what are we talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

I know it's not exactly the same thing which the original post is about but is it even remotely possible to use the Munt MT32 emulator with any of the available Doom source ports?

Yes, there's a file called mt2gm.exe here that programs an MT-32 to resemble something vaguely similar to a GM device. I suppose using it depends on both the operating system and the source port, but generally you play MTGM.MID from the archive prior to running Doom. (On Linux with Crispy Doom I had to select "Pin Synth" in the QT version of Munt to keep it from resetting between running aplaymidi and Doom; this is probably unnecessary under Windows.)

I've tried it with both the Doom and Doom II IWADs and it sounds pretty good, although there's the occasional song that's a bit too complex for the MT-32 to handle and notes get dropped. Those that use panning, fading, or pitch bending tend to sound a bit off, too. It's mostly a novelty on modern systems where there's better sound choices available, but it might be cool to show off a retro setup with a real MT-32 (I should do this)...

Share this post


Link to post
remus said:

You will need to add this to the top:

"dir /usr/share/timidity/rolant-gus/" (without quotes)

Then you have to move to /etc/timidity/

You will then need to edit the file /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

You will need to add: "source /etc/timidity/roland-gus.cfg" (without quotes)

Then you have to copy /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg in /etc/wildmidi/

You must ensure that you delete the old configuration from file /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

All of this is what I was hoping to avoid, and why I asked if you could move the file. Chocolate Doom has code for example so that you can configure a path to a Timidity config file and it will automatically include the directory where it's located. If you can just move the file then we can make things a lot simpler to set up and maybe make the world a simpler place. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for this. Been using in my recent Heretic replay and it's just like I remembered--always loved this set's percussion. It's also inspired me to finally start playing around with sequencing..

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×