Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Duke Nukem Countdown?

Final Doom was 64 maps, not 32. Your comparison is a tad diluted there, PsychoGoatee.

PsychoGoatee said:

but people are underestimating the new content.

One new exclusive episode. And the expansions are not included.

Edward850 said:

Final Doom was 64 maps, not 32. Your comparison is a tad diluted there, PsychoGoatee.

Half of that was a free fan-made addon that was made commercial at the last minute, to be fair. And I did say there's merit to wanting something like that, I just personally am excited for 8 new maps by these legends. I admit, 64 maps was a nice value.

Cyanosis said:

One new exclusive episode. And the expansions are not included.

Sure, but you said you'd like to pay under ten dollars for it. Those level designers, composer, and Jon deserve to get paid for their work. Plus they made a new renderer, new art involved there etc, new gun, new enemy or two etc.

And so far it's been noticed that this has Overlords available as mini-bosses like the mini-boss version of Battlelords, something that wasn't in the original.

As for the 3rd party 90s addons, I don't dig those much personally, though Life's a Beach had it's moments. It'll be lowered to $15 in a couple years I'm sure, maybe even down to 10 someday. $20 to me feels fair at the moment. Honestly, I think it's astonishingly cool what they decided to do here.

At first we were expecting the people who made No Rest For The Living (nerve software) to design the levels, turns out they got the original Duke 3D guys. So this would be like getting Romero, to keep the Doom comparison going. Which is quite exciting.

Well since it seems like I'm the only one who preordered. I'll let you know if it's any good when the game is released. ;-)

Don't get me wrong here, I hate Gearbox as a company. But my love for Duke (especially a NEW 2d version) outweighs my hatred for the company.

Did John St. John rerecord ALL the Duke sounds? That would be incredible. Otherwise it will be weird hearing new recordings next to some mono-channel highly compressed wav files from the original release.

edit: From the website...

NEW “DUKE TALK”

Plus high-fidelity re-recordings from Duke Nukem’s original voice actor, Jon St. John!

Apparently.

PsychoGoatee said:

Sure, but you said you'd like to pay under ten dollars for it. Those level designers, composer, and Jon deserve to get paid for their work. Plus they made a new renderer, new art involved there etc, new gun, new enemy or two etc.

You know who else has done ALL of this and tenfold? The Duke community. And it's free. Just plop one of your thousands of copies you own of Duke onto eDuke and you have unlocked everything that community has to offer. Gearbox are just being greedy cunts by making this 20 year old game that, quite frankly, didn't need yet ANOTHER port or re-release cost $20. It should be $10, no higher, and really anyone that already owns Megaton edition should get a discount or better yet, a free upgrade.

CARRiON said:

You know who else has done ALL of this and tenfold? The Duke community. And it's free. Just plop one of your thousands of copies you own of Duke onto eDuke and you have unlocked everything that community has to offer. Gearbox are just being greedy cunts by making this 20 year old game that, quite frankly, didn't need yet ANOTHER port or re-release cost $20. It should be $10, no higher, and really anyone that already owns Megaton edition should get a discount or better yet, a free upgrade.

I've released two Duke maps (check out Groovy Street on steam etc :D), I've seen this mentioned but I don't get it. I'm posting on Doomworld, surely I know about user maps, and love them.

I literally just paid 10 dollars for a sandwich. Slightly overpriced a know, but it was a good sandwich. Mega64 actually just made a parody video about this topic and talked about it on their podcast, how gamers often seem to feel like they're getting ripped off.

Even if it was 10 dollars somebody would still complain, etc. Apparently the new episode by these guys we respect a lot doesn't interest you, that's fine, you don't have to buy it. Me, I'm happy to buy it, I think it's a great and cool thing.

PsychoGoatee said:

I've released two Duke maps (check out Groovy Street on steam etc :D)

I would if they didn't take the Megaton Edition down. :P

It doesn't help when they really are ripping us off. They take Megaton Edition off the store front, only to put another version up which all existing owners are expected to pay full price for?
So for some people, they are selling 9 maps plus the ability to have a supported copy on the exact same store front, for $24. That's getting a bit much, and honestly is kinda rude.

I'll get it, eventually. Definitely not worth 20$ for me, overpriced in my opinion especially for the Megaton owners. Once it hit the 10$ mark or under, I'll put it into consideration.

Cyanosis said:

I would if they didn't take the Megaton Edition down. :P

The workshop is still up if people own Megaton, can also get it over at Duke4, but since this is a Duke topic hey why not I'll post it. Here is Groovy Street :D https://www.mediafire.com/?827zta25k6mra1p

I can respect people waiting for a better deal, I just am really pumped for this new stuff.

PsychoGoatee said:

can also get it over at Duke4

I'm presuming everything on the workshop which was maps is already available online and doesn't require the Megaton Edition specifically in order to operate?

Cyanosis said:

I'm presuming everything on the workshop which was maps is already available online and doesn't require the Megaton Edition specifically in order to operate?

I don't know, you might need Megaton to DL maps from the Workshop not sure. But this map works fine in eduke32 and who knows maybe even DOS Duke, I don't think I broke the old limits. The file is there in the link if you'd like to play it. Or if I misinterpeted that question, yep eduke32 can play any Duke 3D map. While Megaton can't play maps made for the latest limit removing stuff on eduke32 sometimes, on the other hand.

The sfx in these vids is a bit of a mixed bag, the pistol in particular sounds the most muffled, and it's the first thing you hear. Hopefully they fix these thingies. The shotgun sounds great though.

That is about the worst SFX filtering I've ever heard. "Whoops I accidentally put everything through both a 4bit encoder and highpass filter" doesn't sound like something you just accidentally do and not notice immediately.

I really hope they just haven't finished touching up the sfx yet, because that is awful to the ears.

CARRiON said:

I really hope they just haven't finished touching up the sfx yet, because that is awful to the ears.

I just tweeted at Randy about it, the more people he hears it from the better I'd say. Though maybe they're still working on it.

Either way, though it can be harder with recent steam games where everything is in some kind of collected file sometimes, replacing sound effects in Duke 3D (eduke etc) and even some steam games like Half-Life 2 is doable, if need be. Might not be doable in this.

To keep it positive, some muffled sounds are one thing, the maps by Blum and Levelord as well as the music by Lee Jackson is still something to be hype about, in my book.

Cyanosis said:

Yep, the recorded dialogue and old SFX clashes horribly now.

Yes, but they didn't have to make the sounds worse. And yet here we are...

so, first mod for this will be taking all the new high fidelity lines and compressing the shit out of them so they fit in better with the old sound FX.

Hilarious.

There's something about the way that guy was playing that's kinda making me dizzy, and the sounds are absolutely horrifying. How the crap did they manage to screw it up this badly?

EDIT: Holy fuck what the hell is the "use a wall that can't be used" sound. it sounds so incredibly awful its amazing