Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Duke Nukem Countdown?

Ajora said:

I don't know about you, but Sonic Mania looks pretty sweet.

Probably has something to do with being developed by people that actually care about the series, unlike Duke as of recent.

Jaxxoon R said:

Probably has something to do with being developed by people that actually care about the series, unlike Duke as of recent.

Just saying, the development of DNF at the end there is a heroic story, Allen Blum (co-creator of Duke Nukem) and others worked on the game from a house, even after 3DR had to lay off the development team.

"The team had their work cut out for them. Building the narrative script, dialog, NPC behavior, music, and a great deal of content from the ground up, the team worked around the clock out of a modest house in Dallas, TX, 6 to 7 days a week for just over 6 months. Work began at 8:30AM, and the last person usually left between 11PM and midnight. There were artists in the kitchen, desks in the master bedroom, hundreds of feet of cat5 cable, and switches taped to the walls. Circuits were so precariously balanced that everyone was limited to one monitor, and once the main breaker was tripped due to a teapot."

And Allen Blum is developing levels for World Tour too.

I get the World Tour thing. The original guys working on it again does sound wonderful and I'd love to have it. In fact I will absolutely buy it at some point. But goddamn I'm tired of buying duke3d already. I never really say this, but I'll wait for it to become discounted..

As for the "Probably has something to do with being developed by people that actually care about the series (Sonic Mania), unlike Duke as of recent." statement, I totally get that too. If they ever even decide to put out a new game, a lot people will probably just shrug it off as just some rushed out money grab or something of a similar assumption for what I'd consider a decently understandable reason. I was so excited for DNF, preordered and played about 2-3 hours or so (kind of off and on at the time) before I got bored and just never finished it. Sucks to not have faith in a new Duke game but it is what it is if we don't get some serious devs involved I guess. Love ya Duke ;)

GoatLord said:

I heard the price tag is $60. How do they expect us to shell out that kind of moola? Should be half at most.

wat o_O

Last I checked it's $20 which (in my opinion) is still asking too much for one new episode compared to the Megaton Edition which had Nuclear Meltdown, Duke it Out in D.C., and Life's a Beach and was priced the same if not less.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

dethtoll said:

Yes you are. :p

Whilst I can appreciate this sentiment, I have to be pedantic. 'Time Traveler' implies a deliberate sense of destination, or at least a conscious choice to begin a journey in the first place. In my opinion, humanity is really more of a Time Hobo.

PsychoGoatee said:

I'm a time traveler, baby! And I've got... Time to Kill...

This strangely fits as a Duke Nukem line...

Ah Zero Hour, my second favorite Duke Nukem game, i'd love a PC port of Zero Hour rather than a half assed 100th port of Duke3D

My first proper Duke experience was with a PS1 demo disc that had that first starting city block of Duke Nukem TTK. I replayed that demo probably hundreds of times.

I probably would've found Duke Nukem Manhatten Project more interesting if it was not a side scroller.

Nems said:

wat o_O

Last I checked it's $20 which (in my opinion) is still asking too much for one new episode compared to the Megaton Edition which had Nuclear Meltdown, Duke it Out in D.C., and Life's a Beach and was priced the same if not less.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's right, $20. To be more specific, that's how much Randy values just the new episode

Viscra Maelstrom said:

given Randy's past behavior, i'm not really inclined to buy whatever BS good word he's putting in for the new episode that easily.

We've heard good word on the episode from this very cool guy TerminX who worked on the cancelled Android port and on eduke32 over at Duke4.net for one thing.

And really, not everything is about this kooky Randy character. The new episode is maps by Allen Blum and Levelord, music by Lee Jackson (these are the Duke 3D guys), and also Nerve software (Doom 2: No Rest For the Living) for other work like sprites etc. It is made by good people, and is very likely good.

I'm sure TerminX said Gearbox and Randy have been very helpful somewhere in Duke4 forums, so anyone not looking at this game for "that" one event should reconsider.

Since i enjoyed NRFTL and the classic duke maps and music from the returning personel i'll give this one a buy.

I actually just cut a slice of the cake, and it's full of money!! American dollar bills are in this cake. Pretty cool surprise honestly.

YukiHerz said:

Since i enjoyed NRFTL and the classic duke maps and music from the returning personel i'll give this one a buy.

Right on! Hopefully new official map releases for old hits like NRFTL and this keep happening from time to time.

Jaxxoon R said:

So you're being paid by Randy Pitchford to say these things? Don't metaphor with me, sondaddy.

Have you read the points raised by numerous posters in the topic? If you hang around an oldschool FPS forum and consider yourself a fan of the genre, it's all pretty self-explanatory. But we still explained it for ya anyway.

New episode of game by original all-stars, with help from the people who made No Rest for the Living. One of the people who paid them you don't like or something and it's a cake, that's cool, but it should be easy to see why this is an appealing project. Like Duke says, yeah... piece of cake...

why are you arguing with me and not the person (hint: small cartoon horse) who actually expressed an opinion about this game.

Jaxxoon R said:

why are you arguing with me and not the person (hint: small cartoon horse) who actually expressed an opinion about this game.

I already replied to that person, I made a cake remark at your cake remark, then you replied to me and I replied to you and now you replied again and I'm replying and so on. :)

PsychoGoatee said:

One of the people who paid them you don't like or something and it's a cake, that's cool, but it should be easy to see why this is an appealing project. Like Duke says, yeah... piece of cake...

Nowhere did I say anything about not liking Pitchford. I explained that the people dead set on not buying Gearbox products for its CEO wouldn't buy Gearbox products period, so it's pointless to try and argue the quality of the product to them.

This wouldn't appeal to me anyways, considering I really don't care for Duke Nukem at all.

Even if you don't dig the sidescroller Duke Nukem, you might enjoy Duke Nukem 3D, it's arguably the best Doom clone yet! John Romero loves it for example. Did you know it features music by Bobby Prince of Doom fame?

edit to below post: that's old news, they worked it out

PsychoGoatee said:

Even if you don't dig the sidescroller Duke Nukem, you might enjoy Duke Nukem 3D, it's arguably the best Doom clone yet! John Romero loves it for example. Did you know it features music by Bobby Prince of Doom fame?

Go home Randy. Your guitar needs you.