Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

RELEASED: Plutonium Sandpit by Kristian Aro

Hello everybody!

MAP IS RELEASED: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/ka_tech
Map for GZdoom with 40,000+ linedefs and features a new soundtrack which is a remix by me of d_e1m5 and another Bobby Prince classic, in electronica mp3 form. I've also used rudimentary scripting, 3d floors, dynamic lights and weather fx + some monsters from realm667.com.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/h8oRp

-Kristian

That Facebook link is only available to people who are in that closed Facebook group. Could you rehost the screenshots somewhere else, like imgur?

^ he's right. I am curious to see what this is about.

Imgur would be a better image sharing option then FB.

Holy carp, a Kristian Aro map!

Thought you quit after your Brotherhood map. Looking forward to playing this!

Looks cool! I have to admit that the "Plutonian" part of the wad title seems a bit misleading though. You can't have Plutonia without wood, cobblestones, and vegetation!

40oz said:

Looks cool! I have to admit that the "Plutonian" part of the wad title seems a bit misleading though. You can't have Plutonia without wood, cobblestones, and vegetation!

Hehe, that's right. :D

I changed the title into Plutonium Sandpit instead.

I'm working on balancing the final battle area now, which will be some tricky moments for sure. Should be ready for the appointed beta-testers late this week! :)

Looks frickin' sweet! Can't wait to lay my hands on the finished product!

I had to use a different browser to successfully download from wetransfer.

Some general feedback for more polish:

• since it's for GZDoom, the skybox should probably be a GLDEFS skybox, this would solve the problem with artifacted lines appearing along the edges. Here's an example of what I mean:
    Spoiler

If there are atmospheric effects in the skybox sector, you can still combine them with a GLDEFS skybox, by having the skybox sector's floor and ceiling by skies and the walls be horizons.
  • there are doors that are scripted to say they must be opened from the other side or with a switch or what have you, but they also say that if you activate them while they are open. The scripts should probably be silent when the door is wide open.
  • control/dummy sectors should be hidden on the automap. See those little gray squares or triangles?
    Spoiler

• Turning the various resource into a proper pk3 structure would speed up loading.
  • There are warnings at startup.
    Spoiler

Unknown patch ICONMRB4 in texture ICONMRB4 [DoomPotpourri]
    Texture ICONMRB4 is left without any patches [DoomPotpourri]
    Unknown patch ISONAAMA in texture ISONAAMA [DoomPotpourri]
    Texture ISONAAMA is left without any patches [DoomPotpourri]
    ANIMDEFS: Can't find IMPSE1 [wostex]
    Brightmap 'BMDPOSE5' not found in texture 'DPOSE5' [DoubleChaingunner]
    Editor number 6454 defined twice for classes 'SkullTree2' and 'SkullTree1' [SkullTree]

I'll admit I don't get why it complains about these two patches in DoomPotpourri. They seem to be there just fine and SLADE's texture editor has no issues.
  • The wostex resource also includes a dehacked file which I'm not sure is really needed.
Other than these various nitpicks I enjoyed it. Some parts were perhaps a bit too easy to cheese, I sometimes got lost in the beginning, and I would have liked if the hole at the end of the base section was more damaged so it could be possible to climb back out. The pyroknight could perhaps stand to have a bit less health? They seemed much tougher than the seemingly more impressive bruiser demons.

Gez said:

I can't get the download site to work. :(

Nebula-Kristian said:

That's strange. It works fine with me when I test it. I'll get you another link asap! :)

Glaice said:

Try using mediafire.com or mega.nz for hosting files until you have it on the /idgames/ archives.

Or try an /idgames link:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/ka_tech.zip

Main server link above for the time being; mirrors and DW HTML version should be up to date by tomorrow.

I enjoyed this game very much until the end.  I couldn't handle that jumping puzzle to gain access to the demonhead-thing that would indefinitely keep creating monsters until you destroyed it.  Otherwise, it's a clever, extremely well done Doom wad.