Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drygnfyre

Where does Episode 4 take place?

Something else that may have been asked before, but a search doesn't turn up anything recent.

Is Episode 4 supposed to be taking place on Earth? We can rule out Phobos and Deimos, and it doesn't appear to be very hellish in design, either. The sky is orange, as if it's sunset, and somewhat similar to some of the sky textures seen in Doom 2.

DoomWiki said:
The episode is set on Earth, with the background sky being a light brownish-yellowish with white clouds, similar to the ending cutscene of Inferno and the star port levels of Doom II.

Voros said:

So does Episode 4 occur just before the Earth-based Doom 2 maps? Does the player transition from Unto the Cruel to the Factory? Considering there are potential space-based maps in Doom 2, perhaps Episode 4 is a separate invasion from the one later depicted in Doom 2.

DoomWiki said:
The episode is both a sequel to Doom and a prequel to Doom II.

The sky in episode 4 kinda looks the same as the sky in the end cutscene with the bunny of episode 3, so it might be Earth. I always figured it was somewhere between Hell and Earth but Thy Flesh Consumed wasn't really made with the story in mind.

It's absolutely the same sky texture as the endgame screen for E3, just slightly modified. So that pretty much directly implies that Earth is the setting. There's a popular fan theory that it's kind of retconning of Doom 2, like some sort of prequel I suppose. I think some have suggested that the Doom 2 guy and the Doom 1 guy aren't necessarily the same person, but of course the HUD face is identical, so...

I mean, E4 was a way of repackaging Doom, as it had gotten quite popular at that point and, as you might know, the original retail version didn't have a proper box. So Ultimate Doom was a great way of providing the game a legit boxed version, and as I said in another thread, to keep folks interested in id while the next IP was being developed.

That said, the idea that there are two different Doomguys, who embark on two separate adventures on Earth, seems to make the most sense, but then, id clearly wasn't invested in a coherent story and dense plot development, so it's sorta pointless to try to make sense of it all...

Northern-central Europe; I'm convinced of it. The sky has no mountains at all but stuff like e4m6 suggests some sort of middling area where the ground begins to rise, in addition to the suggestive old-school woody interiors and marbelous monuments. We might consider the latter to be a demonic do-over, so that narrows down our search a bit to areas that have antique structures for the demons to embellish...

Quedlinburg. Thy Flesh Consumed is set in Quedlinburg. That's the end of it, Dean.

Alfonzo said:

Northern-central Europe; I'm convinced of it. The sky has no mountains at all but stuff like e4m6 suggests some sort of middling area where the ground begins to rise, in addition to the suggestive old-school woody interiors and marbelous monuments. We might consider the latter to be a demonic do-over, so that narrows down our search a bit to areas that have antique structures for the demons to embellish...

Quedlinburg. Thy Flesh Consumed is set in Quedlinburg. That's the end of it, Dean.

That's very interesting Alfonzo. I always did get a medieval feeling from episode 4.

Alfonzo said:

but don't a whole lot of areas of the world have places with euro-styled buildings with some made of wood, some made of stone, that are near a rising plain?

GoatLord said:

I think some have suggested that the Doom 2 guy and the Doom 1 guy aren't necessarily the same person, but of course the HUD face is identical, so...

Doomguy is a clone of Jango Fett, which also explains both why 99.9% of his fellow stormtroo-- I mean, marines, were basically useless and why his starting armor does literally nothing for him. The supposed lack of intelligence then could be a factor in his seemingly random love for a bunny named Geor-- Daisy.

roadworx said:

but don't a whole lot of areas of the world have places with euro-styled buildings with some made of wood, some made of stone, that are near a rising plain?

Yes but look, this is a matter of utmost importance - it's integral to the credibility and functioning of this community. We cannot afford to dilly-dally on this issue. Moreover, I just really, really want e4 to be set in Germany.

Alfonzo said:

This is 100% accurate. E4 is set in Germany. Deal with it.

To quote my comment in the previous thread about resolving the logical inconsistencies in the stories of the various Doom games (click through for the full thread):

fraggle said:

Meanwhile, there's the matter of Episode 4, which somehow follows on from the end of Episode 3.
It's not clear where exactly Episode 4 is even happening. It says "next stop, hell on earth!" implying that you weren't previously fighting on Earth. But "someone was gonna pay for what happened to daisy, your pet rabbit" implies that Doom1Guy has gone on a rampage after his discovery at the end of Episode 3. But Episode 3 sees you step out of a portal onto the fields of Earth.

So the only seemingly logical explanation seems to be that:

1. Doom1Guy defeats the Spider Mastermind, steps through the hidden doorway and "emerges from the door to see the green fields of Earth!"
2. Doom1Guy sees a rabbit head on a spike that is somehow "Daisy, his pet rabbit". (Was she left behind on Earth by Doom1Guy and coincidentally killed by the demons when they emerged? Or did the demons abduct Daisy from the Phobos base, as some kind of vindictive "fuck you" to Doom1Guy after he defeats their master? That's a whole other discussion.)
3. Doom1Guy flips out in some kind of psychotic rage and travels back into hell to take revenge on the demons, because apparently he's just that much of a badass and enjoyed being in hell so much that he goes back for more?
4. Having defeated the second spider mastermind he reemerges out of the same portal again (was he carrying the rabbit head the whole time?)
5. "Next stop, hell on earth!" - Doom1Guy is now in the same position Doom2Guy finds himself in at the start of Doom II, but he's off fighting his own battles that we've never seen.

I just interpreted the Next stop, hell on earth bit as breaking the fourth wall, kind of telling the player to play Doom II next. So in that sense I figured it's the same Doomguy and Ultimate Doom takes place on Earth.

I much prefer the Heretic interpretation, where the extra episodes (4 and 5 there) take place in other random worlds. Much more room for surreal levels, which Doom's episode 4 pretty much is, in contrast to Doom 2's beginning.

Episode 4, Thy Flesh Consumed, is actually set between Episode 3, Inferno, and Episode 5, It's Not Necrophilia If They're Still Warm.

Voltcom9 said:

So if E4 was set in Germany, then where were the Earth based maps of Doom2 set?

Salt Lake City, Utah

Well, actually it's set on your screen, so all arguments here are invalid :]

Seriously though, I'd say some medieval/Roman city in western Europe.

Jayextee said:

Episode 5, It's Not Necrophilia If They're Still Warm.

Ummm, what?!

I always saw Episode 4 as taking place in Hell.

I always saw E4 as taking place on earth, in a forward Hell base still under construction. This accounts for the mainly wooden structures and cat-walky architecture of the episode, which includes a relatively finished entrance (M!), a cave being expanded on (M2), and a nearby captured UAC outpost (M9).

It's in the initial part of the invasion which, apparently, is in Doom Guy's hometown because that's what is established in Doom 2. Either that or he got spat out somewhere different than there.

MFG38 said:

I always saw Episode 4 as taking place in Hell.

Me too, but perhaps there is no longer a clear distinction between Hell and our reality. No set boundary, just a question of more or less. The final part of D2 has maps like the Chasm (which looks decidedly man-made), after all.

Here's my "head canon":

The marine finds himself on the green fields of Earth (which kind of looks like Ireland) and sees a burning city (Dublin?) and Daisy's head on a stick. He then ventures into the city, only to find that the center had been corrupted by hellspawn. He's ambushed and is put into Hell Beneath.

Olroda said:

Me too, but perhaps there is no longer a clear distinction between Hell and our reality. No set boundary, just a question of more or less.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Either way, I think of E4 as an additional chapter in Hell, from whence the story then continues on Earth.

E4 always had this "Doom II on the Doom I engine" feel, at least for me, so perhaps it was intended to take place right before Doom II, something corroborated by the end text:

THE SPIDER MASTERMIND MUST HAVE SENT FORTH
  ITS LEGIONS OF HELLSPAWN BEFORE YOUR
  FINAL CONFRONTATION WITH THAT TERRIBLE
  BEAST FROM HELL. BUT YOU STEPPED FORWARD
  AND BROUGHT FORTH ETERNAL DAMNATION AND
  SUFFERING UPON THE HORDE AS A TRUE HERO
  WOULD IN THE FACE OF SOMETHING SO EVIL.

BESIDES, SOMEONE WAS GONNA PAY FOR WHAT
  HAPPENED TO DAISY, YOUR PET RABBIT.

BUT NOW, YOU SEE SPREAD BEFORE YOU MORE
  POTENTIAL PAIN AND GIBBITUDE AS A NATION
  OF DEMONS RUN AMOK IN OUR CITIES.

NEXT STOP, HELL ON EARTH!
The problem is, that it doesn't exactly tell you where the battles in E4 were fought. However, given the prevalence of Hellish/corrupted themes, I'd say they occur in a corrupted UAC base similar to E2, perhaps on an isolated UAC facility on Earth, which you manage to clear, but only do so too late before the rest of the planet is corrupted too, leading to Doom II's events.