Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drygnfyre

Where does Episode 4 take place?

Corrupted UAC base? Really?

E4M1: looks like a dense town to me, with adjoined houses and cramped streets.
E4M2: looks like a mine.
E4M9: military base / science facility / university
E4M3: looks like a sea port to me. Due to Doom limitations, all the sea is sealed off with a wall.
E4M4: looks like the inner yard of some building
E4M5: this is a typical dungeon and I can't really imagine real world places like it.
E4M6: starts in the mountain, but enters another typical dungeon
E4M7: weird
E4M8: evil castle of Doom.

Or corrupted city/earth location or even an outpost on another planet. A base or outpost could include a mine/science facility/port etc.

And the levels just get more and more outerwordly as you progress, kinda like the levels in Doom II start off as rather human/industrial/city-like but progressively get more demonic, to the point that even their exits become magical holes/portals in the ground.

printz said:

E4M3: looks like a sea port to me. Due to Doom limitations, all the sea is sealed off with a wall.
E4M5: this is a typical dungeon and I can't really imagine real world places like it.

Most of those sound like they could be segments of an UAC outpost corrupted with elements of Hell, like the Sea Port being full of lava and the E4M5 looking like a dungeon which could have been some kind of refinery before being warped by Hell. E4M9 looks the closest to an non-corrupt UAC Base.

Check the wikia, cuz whoever still edits there evidently felt their own personal opinion on the question was canon and put it into the articles for Episode 4, which I discovered by chance the other day while just doing a web search and getting a bunch of bullshit about how "Doomguy returns to Hell immediately to avenge his pet rabbit." ROFL.

Which is funny because there's literally no evidence to support that. It looks as though Doom Guy was in whatever city was in the E3 and E4 cities and then realized the demon invasion wasn't localized, it had spread throughout the entire planet.

E4M3 also looks like something built across a river. A power plant or a dam...

The sea port theory makes a lot of sense, though, given the stairs that seem to go up and then stop abruptly over the river of lava, almost as if they were intended to lead someone to get onto a ship.

printz said:

E4M7 actually does seem like it's taking place in a displaced UAC base, though.