Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThePetitDwarf

Is it polite to join a server without invitation?

Hi guys. I've always wanted to play Doom (specially Stronghold) with someone, but none of my friends like it, so my only option is to find someone online to play. I use Zandronum but I've never joined a server because anyone has invited me. I'm not sure joining a server without invitaion is considered rude in the Doom community -that's not the case in other FPS games like TF2, but each game has a different community.

Excuse me if this sound "noob-ish" but I've played Doom offline my entire life.

If a server does not have a password preventing you from joining, it's public and therefore everyone is welcome. Unless the server host is a prick in which case the only thing to do is a) host a server yourself using a service like TSPG or find another server!

Decay said:

If a server does not have a password preventing you from joining, it's public and therefore everyone is welcome. Unless the server host is a prick in which case the only thing to do is a) host a server yourself using a service like TSPG or find another server!

Oh ok! Thanks.

btw I found a Stronghold server but there's anybody there. Guess I'm not being lucky lol

Just to elaborate further, if you join a public server and are kicked because people there don't want you around but you haven't violated any rules let us know in the #tspg-painkiller irc channel on irc.zandronum.com:6667 as such behavior is considered a violation of policy.

Marcaek said:

Just to elaborate further, if you join a public server and are kicked because people there don't want you around but you haven't violated any rules let us know in the #tspg-painkiller irc channel on irc.zandronum.com:6667 as such behavior is considered a violation of policy.

WoW, there's an entire organisation and order in this community. That's great.

Ok, I'll inform you if something happens

ThePetitDwarf said:

btw I found a Stronghold server but there's anybody there. Guess I'm not being lucky lol

You could just join the server and a wait little bit, eventually few people will follow you .

If you hang around for a while you'll get to know enough people to get a game going any time you like - the best way to do that is playing in public servers. Not only is it not impolite to join in, server hosts love to see more users!

Doomkid said:

If you hang around for a while you'll get to know enough people to get a game going any time you like - the best way to do that is playing in public servers. Not only is it not impolite to join in, server hosts love to see more users!

I was playing in some servers today and people seems really nice. They don't usually play Stronghold, unfournately. But it's ok, maybe someday I'll find some people to play it