Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NieMaMordy

All doom psp source ports, worth trying

We all know that doom is the game that runs on everything, even on piano. So that is obvious that someone made a psp port. Unfortunetly, it is not that easy as just starting the newest port. That is because, there were a lot of them. At least four, in fact. Today, i am going to show you all of them, that are worth trying.

First one i am going to show you i marked with number: 2.01 (0.8 in-game). It is the worst of all ports in my opinion. It doesent support music and you cant switch off autorun. The only thing that make it worth mentioning is it's signed eboot, making it the only port of doom for psp that doesent require custom firmware. It supports adhoc multiplayer, but it is not the only pirt that does that. It also supports custom vanilla wads and deh files as well (for both, one at the time).

Second version, is the one i want to recommend the most. It is labeled by number 0.05. This version allows you to play original and custom pwads, just as previous version on this list did. It's advantage is music support (by timidity so you can use whatever timidity set you want it to play). Autorun is disabled this time and controls are changable. The only real problem with that version is it's audio levels. Music is silent and sfx are TOO FUCKING LOUD. They are so loud, that it actually breaks your speakers if you play them on max volume set. Dont try this at home, kids. This version runs on custom firmware only.

Third one is labelled 1.4. It is the version the most people played, and for good reason. This version does not only allow you to play multiple (instead of one at the time) custom pwads amd deh files, but also supports music, in pretty good quality. Resolution is also higher thatn in previous ones, and it is 480x272 instead of doom native 320x200.
It also allows you to change many options such as gamma, resolution, quality of graphics and even allows ti cheat. But the thing that ruins this pirt for me is control. It is not only unchangable, but also weapon switching is broken. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That is why i just can't make myself play this.

Last one, worth mentioning is infamous psp legacy. With some things, this is the best version, but worst with the others.
First of all, controls are fully changable! And they work. You can jump and crouch. You can even look up and down. Settigns are also pretty solid, letting you to add or remove many futuristic graphic effects such as blood on the floor. It is also the only version that allows you to run boom compatible pwads.
So far sounds cool? Well this is where it's minises begins. You cant change screen size and you are stuck with no original hud, but with some brutal doom style numbers, nobody likes. You can only load one pwad, iwad and deh file at the time. Every settings, except for controls, resets itself after quiting the game. Music is supported only by mp3 format which isnt that bad, but it needs to be named speciffically, and it must be in certain mhz ratio, or else it will crash the game. Random lack of textures on walls and ceelings are also pain in the ass.

Good to know that you can not put your psp in standby mode while running any of theese, because it will crash or disable your psp.

I hope there will be at least one person that will find this description usable.

stasiowygrzybek said:

First one i am going to show you i marked with number: 2.01 (0.8 in-game). It is the worst of all ports in my opinion. It doesent support music and you cant switch off autorun. The only thing that make it worth mentioning is it's signed eboot, making it the only port of doom for psp that doesent require custom firmware. It supports adhoc multiplayer, but it is not the only pirt that does that. It also supports custom vanilla wads and deh files as well (for both, one at the time).

If this is the one ported by Chilly Willy (one I have, since I'm running OFW), then my version has music. Also, run is by default on the SQUARE button so I don't know where "you can't switch off autorun".

There is also prboom through Retroarch. You need the iwads in some specific folder I think. I did make it work eventually but it runs at too high speed I think. Didn't have time to explore further.