Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZaBigBoss

Back to Thunder Road - A set of short, explosive maps!

This is a 7 map set I've been working on and off for some time. Like many, it started out with the intention of building 32 maps, but after long halts inbetween, I decided it was best to wrap up and share what I had made so far and not let the whole thing go to waste. So please enjoy!

The maps are all made in Boom format, but the music requires ZDoom or its variants to play (I tested in GZDoom). It felt silly to be limited with only one port because of music, but I think it's worth it. The music's freaking amazing.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/thundr

When I started mapping I was in the middle of revisiting TNT Evilution and Valkiriforce masterpieces like Reverie, Eternally Yours and some other contributions here and there (I'm a big fan of Dangerous Curves and Ocean Outpost from Interception) I loved the non-hellish, bricks-and-metal, orange-tinted, dreamlike, calm athmosphere of Valkiriforce maps. I tried to capture at least some of that while I was working.

I have to say I'm also a huge fan of Romero maps, especially the ones he built after Doom 1. E4M2 is in my opinion his finest work. It flows and works so well. It's small, has varied environments without looking incoherent, has tons of elevations and is packed with great moments. It stays in my mind. Tenements is another map that I often referred to.

The way I built these maps was arduous. I'm astonished at the speed some mappers work without breaking a sweat, and without a single drop in quality.

Please share your impressions, suggestions and things you liked in this little map set. If I ever get back to create a longer set, I'd like to know what worked as well as what didn't. Thank you!

//Screenshots:

Spoiler

These are really fun and inventive. The first couple are short, but the rest have some meat on their bones. MAP06 is great, although thinking to run ahead of the cacoswarm took me a death or two. Then frantically popping switches and dropping lower tier enemies was a blast, trying to stay one step ahead of the red tide. MAP05 is probably my favorite. Overall good punchy fun with some nice visuals.

Looks good. No, looks awesome. Attractive, but not over-detailed. A shame that 1,3 MB is a bit too much for me right now...
Though, whenever I get the chance, I'll tell you my thoughts, I swear. :]

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

These are really fun and inventive. The first couple are short, but the rest have some meat on their bones. MAP06 is great, although thinking to run ahead of the cacoswarm took me a death or two. Then frantically popping switches and dropping lower tier enemies was a blast, trying to stay one step ahead of the red tide. MAP05 is probably my favorite. Overall good punchy fun with some nice visuals.

Thank you! I did want to give the feeling of a frantic escape. I was having doubts whether it was clear that staying to face the swarm was not an option, at least until you find the secret BFG.

Looks good. No, looks awesome. Attractive, but not over-detailed. A shame that 1,3 MB is a bit too much for me right now...
Though, whenever I get the chance, I'll tell you my thoughts, I swear. :

Thank you! I can't wait!

I really dig the music in this. Where's it from?

All of the soundtrack is taken from Genesis games at project2612.org/
For individual track names, just wait for the credits at main menu