Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Vinesauce Mapping Contest

Yeah I'll let it hit the 3 month mark (Dec 9) and if mine still hasnt been played ill release it as well. Can anyone be bothered to add up how many wads out of 150 he's played so far? If it's under 70 this isn't gonna be done til March or so which is OK but I'll for sure want people to have played it by then.

The silence overall is an odd decision. Not even a quick "hey guys I'll have to delay this for a bit so sit tight," he's just moseying on like nothing ever happened. I mean shit, getting everyone all excited and then just leaving them hanging. Just seems like a good way to kill interest.

He's waiting for tax season for that refund. Gonna get out them refund-prizes. The struggle is real.

Just lol at the people who took this contest seriously. I just submitted a map for the fun. Also, he just uploaded a let's play of Doom RL.

Honestly I think a big part of the problem is that he vastly underestimated how many wads would actually be submitted. He probably assumed that he would get maybe a couple of dozen submissions and then got way more submissions than he was expecting.

If he does another contest sometime he will probably impose stricter rules in regards to map size.

hardcore_gamer said:

Just lol at the people who took this contest seriously.

hardcore_gamer said:

He is finally back after being sick, and he's going to do horror games for the whole next week but no (as far as I know) Doom stream. Ok, I admit that I am getting annoyed at this point.

???

Yeah I've not heard hide nor hair from him about playing the rest of the maps at all since the last stream on the 2nd of last month.

Mmyeah, this shit shouldn't fly.

EDIT: I just sent Joel a formal e-mail personally. No idea if/when he's likely to respond, but it's something. (Got recommended to do so from the Vinesauce Discord.)

Yea, hopefully Joel can get back to playing the submissions pretty soon. He may have gotten burned out and decided to take a break; I don't know if he ever said as much, but that seems likely given he got 150+ submissions. Also Joel tends to get sidetracked easily, at least that's been my impression after watching his streams for a few years.

I don't think he'll abandon the contest though, that doesn't seem like something he would do.

^ Can't help but feel he watches this thread and waits for complaints, heh.

That said, sad to see my map's still on the waiting list! D:

Mine is too, he selected it to play but couldn't get it working because it requires a ZDoom dev build. I tried talking to him through Twitch chat but he missed my message. Didn't help when the chat bot timed me out and deleted my message history after I posted a link (to the ZDoom dev builds), to which I deliberately added spaces, even. >:(

I've sent him another e-mail explaining things regarding the dev builds. Hopefully he's reading them... :I

What did you do that requires a dev build, duuuude. Big mistake :D

i think a big part of the reason he couldn't get through all of them is because he got really sick in the past months.

I've been watching these and really enjoying the maps and Joel himself.

The stream is really funny. He just concluded that a map that stole parts and copy & pasted parts of E1 of Ultimate Doom (mind you it's a shitty work, missing textures, dead-ends etc.) a completely different and original work... I lost all hope. Bad fucking game.

Damn, I don't have the time to watch these through, but the bits and pieces I have watched have led me to the conclusion he's impressed by things the average Doomer scoffs at and vice-versa. For example, I think I remember Angry Saint's map looking quite good but he just kinda wandered around in the dark starting area, then on the next stream some "ok layout but 1994 texturing" map was complimented as being a "solid work", as if some run of the mill "my second map" was not only in the ball park but actually preferred!

I guess this could potentially work in my favor since I'm no master of detail, but it's really a wildcard in a hilarious way at this point. I'm really curious who will win if this thing gets finished!

It'll get done, Joel keeps his word. Gotta remember he plays thousands of other games, and only a portion of his followers do so for Doom.

You're right of course, Sick Bow - I keep telling myself to stop being impatient and then inevitably get impatient again :P

As far as I am aware my map also has not been played. I've also noticed that it's at the start of each month for the most part that he records the stream
See you back here on February 3rd.

Really looking forward to seeing the winner, I hope it's someone deserving! I think I'll enter next year, not that I'd win, I'm just a big Vinesauce fanboy. On a side note, would it be possible to (next year) have all of the WADs put into one huge megawad? No idea what the limits on something like that would be. Alright, here's my take for the maps in Part 5, and Joel's reactions like other users here have done above (watching as I play KSP.). Typing these as I go, so if I mess up anything I'll hopefully pick up on it later. If I shit on your map or mess up a name I am sorry:

• First map (TheDickWolf) - Awesome map, I wonder why Joel thought he had played it before. Some of the textures look familiar, and the art style is very PS1-ish. Gameplay-wise, it was really solid. Crazy what people can do in two (?) weeks. Wish I could have heard the music a little better, it was pretty quiet this stream.

• Second map (Super Indigo) - "My first WAD". I really wish the moderators would have been a tad more strict with allowing very basic entries. Like everyone else on this forum, or anyone that has ever opened up DB2, I wish Joel would take things like texture alignment into account.

• Third map (Smedis9) - I've never played much Hexen, so I don't know how many assets are lifted from other places. The Ass Modeous boss fight was actually really really cool! The custom fog, skybox, and stuff look nice, but aren't really anything I'd give points for creativity to. The music, on the other hand, is pretty ballsy, but works so well. The ending was pretty cool, I'd like to see this as a full WAD someday.

• Fourth map (Boariceboy) - "My first WAD". "Did you test your level?" really summed it up. HOMs, no ammo, texture alignments, pretty much all the works. Yawn. I feel bad shitting on so many maps, but man it's hard to look at a lot of these.

• Fifth map (Blazinggaming4) - I always like a pre-map intermission screen, no sarcasm intended. The blue overlay is kind of silly, Pirate Doom did it much better. I think having limited oxygen was kind of a bad choice. Got really bored watching this one. Aaaand another Hall of Mirrors effect. The ladders, while cool, ate up a lot of friggin time doing nothing but climbing. I actually skipped forward on this one because the first half was so boring. The second map had the cool "upside-down shipwreck" thing going for it, but that's not really redeeming enough for me to give this map a go. Damn this map took forever!

• Sixth map (Hoodoo456) - Playing through the Doom levels in a crazy way like this is a good idea, but this is pretty much just theft (as in, no creativity involved that I can see). It's not that hard to copy/paste maps with transitions in between. Regardless, it was stated in the rules and pretty damned obvious that the contest was going to be using Doom II. What I think he did was load the Doom 1 and Doom 2 IWads in the editor, thinking that they shared all the textures. Still doesn't explain the HOM effects, I don't think. Pretty sure it's illegal to upload maps from a game, considering Joel technically doesn't own UDoom if that makes sense. Edit: Oh, shit, sounds like the map might have been an actual ripoff. Edit2: Guess it wasn't. Nice MIDI, though.

• Seventh map (Murogo) - Ho-ho-holy shit. Didn't expect that. This is actually pretty god damned good so far. Music, textures, even the weapons. I feel like I just rolled up some nostalgia in a blunt and got high as a kite. Even the face, holy shit does bloody link look really weird. The Lost Woods were done very well. Boss fight was unexpected. Funny ass ending. Even had Link left-handed! This was all around just a really good damned WAD. Good job, author, now do Doomguy in an N64 ROM hack.

• Eighth map (Reckless_James) - I know Reckless from Joel's Dwarf Fortress streams as a bleeding ghost. The MIDI was really cool. Nice to see a WAD using vanilla assets that actually looks really good. The "barracks" type map really reminds me of one I did a long, long time ago (under a different name that will not be named) that got shat on. Kind of odd, but I guess barracks are always going to look pretty similar. Really solid level, didn't see any real issues with it. Overall solid job that does what it needs to without extra assets. Edit: Shit, I guess Joel played this one before, man every time Reckless_James is involved some spooky shit happens.

• Ninth map (RedNev444) - Looks like more vanilla assets. I like how you arrived on a boat. Textures need to be a bit more varied, but it works pretty damned well for a map made by a newcomer (seemingly). Pretty solid, nothing too crazy, nothing very wrong with it. Some door tracks were messed up. Wish Joel would focus on the actual maps a bit more, I didn't want to hear about Reckless_James' map the whole time. Comes with the territory of Twitch Chat, though. I feel like this map got a cheap look because it followed a funny incident.

• Tenth map (Minmos?) - Jesus Christ undertale are we kidding. I mean as far as TCs go there are worse choices, but for a memery such as this (Joel's stream chat is always full of useless Undertale spam) it wasn't too bad. That's about it.

• Eleventh map (Supermafia) - Looks pretty solid. The lowering floors were just kind of annoying after the first couple, but nice to see someone do something different. This really reminds me of some of the Hell parts of Doom 4. Joel's sanity was kind of falling apart at this point in the stream, I'd imagine, so it was kind of hard to get some real feedback. Super short map, it could have been a little padded if there were less ways to bypass enemies.

Can't wait for the next 70 or so WADs to be finished! This stream was a little weak. Oh, if anyone missed it, Joel said this contest will be over before January ends. Hold him to that.

Found it hard to watch that stream after he got stuck on the ship map for an hour and spent another 30 minutes on that dumb E1 mashup.

This whole contest is getting harder for me to endure and he still hasn't responded to my emails, nor has he tried playing my map again after I told him what he needed to do to get it working. Don't think I'm gonna get a look-in at all at this rate. Fucking hell.

Jimmy said:

he still hasn't responded to my emails

I think he addressed that in the video, towards the end. He hasn't checked his email, and I'd expect the re-dos and such at the end of the line. He said it'll be wrapped up before January is over, so save your frustrations until then I guess.

IvanDobrovski said:

I told you. I'd run a better tournament, with possibly better prize and finish grading in like a day or two... Don't get your hopes high.

Go on then, host a better mapping contest! Less talk, more do ;)

I'd rather not be part of making this thread spiral into snark and negativity. My above post was done in a horrible state of mind so I apologise.

It's good to hear that he's at least planning on getting things wrapped up before the end of the month, so I guess let's just wait until the next stream and see if he changes his playing approach any.

Sick Bow said:

I think I'll enter next year

If there will be a next year. I don't think Joel was expecting there to be so many wads and thus he ended up having to take a bigger bite than he was planning to chew. If he does decide to have another contest which frankly seems unlikely to me he will probably impose much stricter rules in regards to how long a map can be.

hardcore_gamer said:

If there will be a next year. I don't think Joel was expecting there to be so many wads and thus he ended up having to take a bigger bite than he was planning to chew. If he does decide to have another contest which frankly seems unlikely to me he will probably impose much stricter rules in regards to how long a map can be.

Every steam so far he's mentioned the contest having a sequel, I'd say that just about confirms it.