Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

Same Map Layout Challenge

A few months ago, I finished a three level wad, and just got around to posting it today since I fixed a graphical issue.

I present to you Same Map Layout Challenge!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpjxsizivup337t/smlclay2.zip?dl=0

The challenge was to create 3 maps using the same layout, and make it feel different from each other.

Looking back on it, it had had its (mainly visual) problems due to constraints, but I decided to play the constraint without exception. But that way, however, it maintains the faithfulness to the challenge. I enjoy it, and I hope yall do, too.

Special Thanks to happyximares for his wonderful midi renditions of Frank Klerpaki's Just Do it Up and Hell March 2.

I bet BloodyAcid is turning in his sleep for me not taking his advice of a soft constraint, but thanks to him for early testing and feedback.

Looks pretty good from the screenies. I'm wondering though, where was this challenge posted at? This seems like something that should have had a bunch of people participating in and having all the entries compiled into 1 wad.

Well anyways, I'll be giving this one a go a little later on.

Jimp Argon said:

Looks pretty good from the screenies. I'm wondering though, where was this challenge posted at? This seems like something that should have had a bunch of people participating in and having all the entries compiled into 1 wad.

Well anyways, I'll be giving this one a go a little later on.

There was a challenge posted a year ago, but there were no submissions made. I decided to independently release this for this reason.

Nice levels! :D I've played all of them on UV + continous playthrough. I tried to run the wad on prboom, so I could provide some demos (the txt file say compatibility is boom), but It gave me 2 textures erros. So I wasn't able to record some FDA's from it.

MAP01:

- Short and linear, which is expected because of the restrictions. Still, it took me around 7 minutes to finish it, which was a nice surprise.
- I liked the ammo starving at the beginning, there's some cool in-fighting compositions there. I let the Revenant at the beginning to kill everyone in the room lol
- Later, things gets more easier. Since you have only a single shotgun and a Chaingun, I think some non-threatening Hell Knights made things drag a bit. They could have been changed to Revenants or a group of lower ranked monsters. Another interesting way is to give the player a SS or some rockets
- Nice music choice, architecture worked very well too.
- One of the secrets I've found was empty.

MAP02:

- There some huge HOM on at the sky in this level haha I tested it on zdoom, so you might want to take a look.
- This level was more interesting than the first one. It also felt more chaotic, with the MIDI (which I liked) and lots of misaligned textures. I don't mind much, but some people might get bothered by it.
- On other hand, navigating in the level was really cool and felt non-obvious. There was also lots of nice intersections using different height variations.
- I also liked more the battle setups in this one. There was less "heavy" monsters, you have the rocket launchers and the layout worked well.
- I've died once to a revenant close to the YK lift lol It's my fault, though. Ammo and health was very well balanced.

MAP03:

- Cool MIDI, also nice change of scenary, this didn't feel no way that was the same map layout haha I was able to identify some common specific sectors though :P
- This was my favorite of all three levels. It wasn't really non-linear, but it felt more open-ended. It doesn't help that in the minimap everything is gray hahahaha but I loved it anyway.
- It features heavier monsters but you are also more well equipp├ęd, so action was more dynamic. I think it could have more monsters in the later half of the level, though (when you get the keys).
- There's a HOM in the YK room (floor).
- Which this kind of more open-ended layout, I've found some back enemies. To avoid that, you can mark them with the "deaf" flag and connect the sector to one where they can hear the player, I guess. (though this would probably violate the same layout challenge, I guess)

---------------

Overall I had lots of fun with it. Archictecture felt a bit chaotic regarding texture alignment, but lighting and intersections make everything feel natural. Battle settings were also mostly good too, aside for some Hell Knight (not everyone will mind them though).

Good job and thank you! :D