• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Nilla Doom

September, 2016

>>> Download Nilla Doom <<<

Leaderboard & Streaming Schedule

1. # Survived [01:35:32] Demon of the Well - <Austin Powers> Why won't you die? btw wp.
  2. # Survived [02:04:42] WH-Wilou84 - Map07 does its best to embarrass him but WH pulls through in a nail-biting finish.
  3. # Survived [02:19:38] ZeroMaster010 - Complete with celebratory plasma shower in the Tricks & Traps lobby. Think of it as like F1's champagne tradition.
  4. # Map07: Ancalagon - Softened up by magma; finished off by the subterranean bonedom. Not bad!
  5. # Map07: Dime - Nilla's only platforming exercise is preschool levels of difficult. What happened, Canada?
  6. # Map06: Veinen - Blasted, squished, humiliated.
  7. # Map06: Killer5 - Okay so I know he got his ass crushed on map06 but hot damn that opening level. Killer stream.
  8. # Map06: Archi - If there's a more dissatisfying way to end a run than this, PM me.
  9. # Map05: 40oz - Exceptional stair grinding technique. Really impressive.
  10. # Map05: Alfonzo - Reduced to pure cowardice by a pack of upstart chaingunners. Lol illegal comp settings * (illegal comp settings)
    Spoiler

11. # Map04: Gordon - Lost his marbles; decided to go swimming * (desync)
  12. # Map03: Eris Falling - Blood Rush.mid
  13. # Map03: DaIcemann76 - Hemmed in by a PE with some mad strats.
  14. # Map03: mouldy - Distracted by an impish lookout - some sort of weirdo? Sergeant-in-crime does the deed.
  15. # Map03: Saint_Guy - Answered the candles call, mere inches from the exit. It was a prank call - get bugged!
  16. # Map03: Anima Zero - Undone by a jerkoff sergeant. A desperate situation; a sorry sight.
  17. # Map02: Revved - Lost control of the island.
  18. # Map02: an_mutt - Sneaky sergeant gets on the board.
  19. # Map02: scotty - Bam, right in the kisser!
  20. # Map02: Rathori - Finally! Picked up a medikit that you really nee- oh.
  21. # Map02: Cynical - You can almost see the terror on-screen in his final moments. It's amazing!
  22. # Map02: Octavarium - Squashed by a carefully positioned monster turret.
  23. # Map02: JudgeDeadd - A light barelling. * (illegal comp settings)
  24. # Map02: rehelekretep - Marooned himself, then tried to melt his way back into the playing area.
  25. # Map01: cannonball - Take pride, little ball, the 1% club does not discriminate against those who cannot survive its rich nirvana. It embraces them.
  26. # Map01: Solarn - Recoiled at the sight of a mancubus's fat folds.
  27. # Map01: Preliatus - Fire hose performance.
  28. # Map01: NoisyVelvet - The electric chainsaw is my favourite weapon.
  29. # Map01: Zulk-RS - I mean, it's definitely a scary mancubus. Check out the fat physics as it rides that elevator.
  30. # Map01: Jimmy - No words.
  31. # Map01: 4shockblast - I've heard that Nilla Doom is a pretty cool WAD, you should try it.
  32. # Map01: Suitepee - Tried to hug an imp against all odds; these feelings are not reciprocated.
  33. # Map01: Crusader No Regret - Left his dodging boots at home (you can have dodging boots...?).

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In September 2016 the DWIronman League dies to Use3d's Nilla Doom - -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)), a sadistic exercise in plasma pumping and crawling around corners with blood oozing from every orifice. It's hard - real hard. Loosely inspired by the likes of HR, Nilla' is a taut, cruel hot plate of torture. It rewards the pro-active player with a cool head, and punishes those that hesitate or blaze away blindly. Pick your battles and manage your resources; you'll be on the back foot from the word go. Good luck and die well!

WARNING: There is a show-stopping bug in the western ROCKRED area of Map05. Sector [107] is a secret area that cannot be exited if the player allows the entrance to close behind him. It lies adjacent to sector [106], which is a ledge with a plasma gun on it. Getting stuck results in a DNF - stay frosty!
Spoiler

• One attempt per megawad/mapset. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

Loosely inspired by Hell Revealed? Tactical decision-making required from the get-go? Oh good grief this sounds an interesting one indeed, and I look forward to tackling it asap.

RIP Map05 of 7. Not a bad effort? Time will tell! This was a run with some prior knowledge from playthroughs past, but no real preparation. I hope it'll sit me somewhere around the top third of the comp like in previous months. Good luck, folks!

https://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/v/86854213

EDIT: For some dumb reason I set the compatibility to Boom (strict) when it should have been straight up Doom. This is a vanilla set - d'oh! That illegitimizes my run, but I'll still leave it up for everyone to point and laugh at. Doom (strict), people!

I actually do recognise these maps from an old TNS session. Sadly, that's too long ago for me to really remember much about it. Nevertheless, with the help of some preparations, I'd really like to finish a bit further from the bottom this time!

Damn, that's a stroke of bad luck. I haven't checked out the demo yet but you've no doubt done very well to get to that point, and especially in conjunction with your Crusades challenge; that's a good run - a storied success!

Perhaps this month's challenge will not be as difficult as first thought. Or maybe the more skillful among us will be framing a false dawn for our prospective newbies. I'm still expecting a bunch of map01 deaths!

Hm, it desyncs part way through map04 for me, Gordon. If it's working on your end, perhaps you could find another way to upload the recording? Otherwise I'll slap it up as a map04 "death" - a revised rule from previous instances of desync, I know, but it makes the most sense if we're searching for more absolutes in the rule set.

EDIT @Jimmy: I imagine you are, Mr. 40/40! Think of the quality of stream that will play host to your demise within 10 seconds of game time! I can't wait.

Dead on MAP03, but it was over and done with in just 10 minutes. The first two maps went perfectly then I made a complete hash of the first trap in the third. Feel like this could've gone much better, but I didn't really expect to get past 03 anyway.

Also dead on map06: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1664662

Like Eris, I was also there in the TNS session a couple years ago but I had no memories of the maps other than the general looks. Also saw like maybe the first ten seconds of Alfonzos stream last night but apart from that it was pretty much a blind playthrough. A pretty dumb way to go in the end but I'd say it was due.

Ancalagon said:

rip in map07, ended dying to a very obscure way to progress, jumped into a tunnel of lava that seemed like the only way to go... and that didn't go well. People shouldn't try that last map blind.

https://www.mediafire.com/?nc8hx2j8yxsvpxy

lol i just watched your demo and you made the same error on map02 as i did, going to the exit area, but you went right to escape and i went left :'(

Huihuihuihui, die my pretties, die!

Archi said:

I hope that in next month there will be something enjoyable to play.

I'm sorry you didn't have much fun. I really liked your stream, you played very well.

Use3D said:

I'm sorry you didn't have much fun. I really liked your stream, you played very well.

I was kinda upset because of some encounters (involving chaingunners mainly), wad is actually fine even with all the things that I hate to see in Doom maps (inescapable pits, hitscan hell, narrow corridors) it plays very well. I'm pretty sure I'd like it much more if I've played it casually with saves. And it's a perfect wad for this competition, it's not easy and not super hard.

I haven't played in quite a while and was slightly uh, tipsy when I started... Went well-ish until I decided to just shit the bed, oh well. Though I usually play in GZDoom and whine-whine-and-so-on

Anyway, are you ready to see me play like a rusty pud, getting lost and going somewhat faster than I normally would because I'm trying not to be boring, taking stupid hits and running into walls until I just
fucking
DIE?!?!

Sure you do
http://www.mediafire.com/download/etb3p22ou1abawb/NillaGorilla.zip

I survived!

For the love of god don't watch it, this is 2:19:38, so it's very very slow.

I watched Ancalagon's demo for the last map (which is about 45 minutes faster than me up to map 07, lol), and played that map in nomonsters up to the red key switch because I didn't want to die in the same way.

Really should have died on map 06.. also I'm not very good at finding secrets apparently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g14jdcr7hmg4e3y/nilla_zm.lmp?dl=0

hey zeromaster i like your runs a lot but i think your 'tactics' (and some other people, watching streams, nomo'ing the maps first etc, its not just you) are against the spirit of the competition. of course we dont want to die, but these bending of the rules are a little bit aggravating...