Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

/idgames database .txt generator now uses Creative Commons licensing

At the behest of Jon, I updated the /idgames db .txt generator to use the various Creative Commons licenses. This does a couple things:

• Gets rid of the option for people to claim that no one may share their work, which was always counterproductive and maybe not even enforceable (why are you uploading it to a FTP mirroring system if you don't want it to be shared?)
  • Makes the option for letting others use the work as a base a little more granular: instead of yes / no, now it's yes / no / yes if you use the same license
  • Adds an option for disallowing commercial use, which is kind of silly and against the free software ethos, but whatever.
Q: Why did you do this??
A: Mostly because Jon bugged me to, but also because the existing boilerplate was written in 1994 by a non-lawyer, and the Creative Commons licenses are designed for today's copyright landscape, vetted by lawyers to protect the interests of authors and the public, while also being applicable and enforceable today around the world.

Q: I don't like these new options, change it back.
A: It's a friggin text file generator, edit the text file yourself.

Probably the wrong place to post this but...

When I uploaded two files. Both were rejected.
Reason: use the txt generator.

WTH that's exactly what I did.

Earlier today, the /idgames rules were updated to clarify that you need to include a copy of your text file in your zip as well as outside of it. Both that and the generator's new Creative Commons licensing dovetail nicely to prevent or at least ease licensing issues with future WADs.

Voros said:

Probably the wrong place to post this but...

When I uploaded two files. Both were rejected.
Reason: use the txt generator.

WTH that's exactly what I did.

The problem was that it appeared you did not, seeing as both uploads' text files were obviously malformed (note: email addresses redacted). For comparison, a generated text file should look something like this (text file for JPHOUSE.WAD).

What were you using to edit your text files?

I used the template file on the FTP server.

On an Android phone (ES File Explorer to be exact)