Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr8

How to do "that"...

Doom 2 map07 "Dead Simple"...
The gates open when you kill all the fat asses...
I'd like to know how it's made...
Is it special to map07 ?
I said that because there's another level in Master Levels
"Mephisto's Maosoleum" who has the same caracteristic and is replaced on 07 too... So...

Is it possible to do that with wadauthor for example ?
(I mean in a simple self-made map)

Thanx

Certain sectors have a special sector tag 666, which does either a Floor_LowerToNearest or Floor_LowerToLowest whenever all the Mancubuses are killed. There's also a sector or two with another special tag, which I think is 999. That one raises the floor 16 units whenever all the Arachnotrons are killed. However, this only works on map 7. If you try this on any other map, it most likely won't work.

Ichor said:

Certain sectors have a special sector tag 666, which does either a Floor_LowerToNearest or Floor_LowerToLowest whenever all the Mancubuses are killed. There's also a sector or two with another special tag, which I think is 999. That one raises the floor 16 units whenever all the Arachnotrons are killed. However, this only works on map 7. If you try this on any other map, it most likely won't work.

Mmmm, I was pretty sure of that...
So it's special to map07...

Ichor said:

There's also a sector or two with another special tag, which I think is 999. That one raises the floor 16 units whenever all the Arachnotrons are killed.

Actually the tag is 667. And yes, you're right that these tags only work on Map07.

Also, the Commander Keen doll is associated with sectors tagged 666. Destroying all the Keen dolls in a level will open doors that are tagged 666. This can be used on any level, not just Map32.

It can be done with some source ports...

Jdoom in particular allows you to code custom linedef and sector types.

One i've just created, for instance : Kill all the mancubi on the map, and the bars blocking off the red key open up. Code looks like this... (it's a lot more simple than it looks)

Line Type {
ID = 999;
Comment = "Open when all Mancubus killed";
Flags = "ltf_mobj_gone ltf_ticker";
Flags2 = "ltf2_when_act ltf2_any";
Class = "ltc_plane_move";
Type = "lat_timed_off";
Thing Type = "FATSO";
Count = 1;
Time = 1;
Ticker Tics = 25;
Act sound = "clunk";
Act message = "Hive guards destroyed";
Ip0 = "lpref_line_tagged_ceilings";
Ip2 = "spref_next_highest_ceiling";
Ip3 = "pmf_done_d";
Fp0 = 1.5;
Fp2 = -4;
}

For Map07, do the sectors the Mancubi start in have to be tagged or just the sectors that respond to their deaths? will it work with any other monsters?

i wondered about this for a while. i knew about tag 667 and such, but never could get them to work. It like, does the secret level exit ALWAYS have to be on map15/map31? once in doom2.exe i tried to make a secret exit in map03 and it didn't work. the game simply advanced to map04. same thing, huh?

Use3D said:

For Map07, do the sectors the Mancubi start in have to be tagged or just the sectors that respond to their deaths? will it work with any other monsters?

i wondered about this for a while. i knew about tag 667 and such, but never could get them to work. It like, does the secret level exit ALWAYS have to be on map15/map31? once in doom2.exe i tried to make a secret exit in map03 and it didn't work. the game simply advanced to map04. same thing, huh?

only the sectors whose floors will fall are tagged. only works with mancucabi. 667 only works on map 7

I think they do have to be on maps 15 and 31. It may work for other maps, but if I remember right, when you go from map 31 to the normal game, it doesn't go to the next map. Instead, it goes to map 16, skipping all the other maps, or maybe even going backwards if you put the secret exit in a map higher than 15. The same thing goes for the super secret exit. If you really wanted to, you could have three exits on map 14: one to go to map 15, one to go to map 31, and one to go to map 32, with the exits from all three maps going to 16. This would be like choosing your route through an area of some kind, like a military base or huge temple.

That wouldn't be any fun though, I like being able to play through a game in it's entirety.

Maybe, but it might be more realistic. You have a choice to get through a huge abandoned base. You could go through the sewers, but that area is in ruins and filled with toxic waste from ruptured tanks. You could go through the front door, but the security system is still active there. You could go through an area where the security system has been deactivated or destroyed, but an avalanche from a nearby mountain has buried much of that area. Each area would require only one key to get through, and each would be different for each area (map 15 would use the red key, 31 would use the blue key, and map 32 would use the yellow key). All maps would lead to the same place, which would be some kind of control center, reactor, or some other vital place.

Ichor said:

All maps would lead to the same place, which would be some kind of control center, reactor, or some other vital place.

Using the hub concept in ZDooM the implementation of your idea is a breeze.

Spike said:

One i've just created, for instance : Kill all the mancubi on the map, and the bars blocking off the red key open up. Code looks like this... (it's a lot more simple than it looks)

In ZDooM, the script would look like:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Script 9: Destroying enemies or making they slip into the nukage opens the doors to the switches
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

int thingcount1;
script 9 (void)
{ thingcount1++;
switch(thingcount1)
{case 1:
print(s:"\ccTwo more scum-bags to go.");
Delay(35);
break;
case 2:
print(s:"\ccOne more scum-bag to go.");
Delay(35);
break;
case 3:
print(s:"\ccAll scum-bags have been neutralized.");
Delay(35);
Door_Open(19,128);
break;
}
}

For each enemy there would be one case, and each enemy would be assigned the special to execute the script. This could be used for any enemy, and could be used to trigger any event (such as raising an elevator, draining a pool of water, etc.)

Ichor said:

Maybe, but it might be more realistic. You have a choice to get through a huge abandoned base. You could go through the sewers, but that area is in ruins and filled with toxic waste from ruptured tanks. You could go through the front door, but the security system is still active there. You could go through an area where the security system has been deactivated or destroyed, but an avalanche from a nearby mountain has buried much of that area. Each area would require only one key to get through, and each would be different for each area (map 15 would use the red key, 31 would use the blue key, and map 32 would use the yellow key). All maps would lead to the same place, which would be some kind of control center, reactor, or some other vital place.

Of course, it'd be so much better if you just were to use ZDoom hubs instead.

Sure, if you want to do it the easy way, heheh. But suppose someone wants to make maps for plain ol' Doom 2. This could be fun to try out in a 32 map wadfile.

ReX said:

Post with ACS

Or, alternatively, I wrote a tutorial on how to do this, and also implement difficulty levels into it.

Here, on my site. Don't mind my project.