Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

Good job, YouTube. You fucked up again.

Ragnor said:

lolwut

So liking a game that's pretty universally hated is considered a controversial topic, huh?

Goddammit, YouTube...

Good lord. The only people upset about this seem like the needlessly angry ungrateful people that are the scum of the internet anyway. The good stuff on YouTube is the stuff people make for free. Much like Doom wads to most modern video games.

Cacockcansukmycok said:

FUCKING Shit muslimjewtube.

Because this thread just wasn't fucking edgy enough, let's have a dose of channer-style racism, everyone!

Am I the only one wondering why all of OP's posts are to the right and what the hell he did to make this happen?

Fonze said:

Hahahaha I laughed so hard at something in this thread

On topic: its not socially acceptable to curse. Sure, around people you don't give a squat about, like your friends and other millenials who hold no power in the real world, cursing might be socially acceptable. But to the people you want to impress; the people with money to spend on you, cursing is what you do when you have nothing important to say.

You shouldn't curse anyway, it's a bad habit that is detrimental to your development. Similar with using other extraneous words like, well, "like."

Also, adverbs, such as "anyway," cannot be pluralized.

Like, dude, what the fuck are you talking about?

Anyway, there's so many different ways to use Fuck it has earned it's special place in the Dictionary. People who use the word Fuck have developed well. It's a first world word.

#CussWordsMatter

Flesh420 said:

People who use the word Fuck have developed well. It's a first world word.

What does this shit even mean? Is this some retarded meme phrasing popular on the Internets currently?

tbh the worst part about it is that it's extremely sensitive, and doesn't affect the big-name youtubers. the news is getting demonetized, anti-suicide and depression help videos are getting demonetized, even videos that abide by these rules are getting demonetized. it's ridiculous.

roadworx said:

tbh the worst part about it is that it's extremely sensitive, and doesn't affect the big-name youtubers.

Yes it does, and has. The whole thing seems automated, just like everything else on Youtube. Certain phrasings will set it off. Avoid controversial tags, descriptions and titles and you should be alright. Some channels have been doing this recently and have yet to have any of their content flagged despite the material being against the terms of service.

Zulk-RS said:

Am I the only one wondering why all of OP's posts are to the right and what the hell he did to make this happen?

It seems like an administrator thought Sgt. Ender's posts were "t00 3dgy" or something. I personally didn't mind until he got that annoying custom title.

About the whole YouTube thing, it isn't like the ToS isn't affecting anybody, since there are quite a few channels being striked/censored. There was no reason why these rules needed to exist anyway, because it wasn't like parents (or good parents, anyway) would let their 5 year old click on a video with breasts in the thumbnail. Actually, the only reason that the rules exist would be to get a bigger audience, which means more views, which means more money.

Gee, isn't that like television?...

What constitutes a real job anyway?

Doing something you hate for a living? Hard labour, paperwork, telemarketing?

Fuck them, right?

Basically if someone doesn't approve of it, it's not a "real" job. That's about the sense it makes to me anyway.

Fonze said:

... tactful[ness] ...

... situational awareness; ...

... mental laziness ...

... especially when you first meet a group of people and/or people don't really know you, ...

And while you're at it explain how a study that determines intelligence based off of "vocabulary of animal names" and consistency of swearing as "repertoire of curse words" is at all an accurate study.

I never said swearing makes one sound stupid, nor does it make what one says inherently stupid, but it is certainly a sign of a lack of tactfulness and social skills and does make what is said less important/meaningful. Look at all the times Bloodshedder has been told to fuck off; you think any of those at all phase him? Same with one's boss at work or any person over 30. After a while it's funny, then a while longer and it's just another thing; "whatever." And some of those "fuck off's" really poured their souls out trying. God bless their hearts; pissing into the wind is always comical.

Both of my parents were sailors, btw, so I understand that in a 1-on-1 conversation of course cursing is more flexible and a person with an extraordinarily large repertoire of curses can be entertaining, but public is different than private. These forums are public; not one-on-one or even small group conversations. Situational awareness. I'm not stating the way I want the world to be, I'm stating what I've learned in my life.

One can make fun of the concept all they want, but go in front of a judge and start cursing and see how they like it, or try to be the first swearing politician; just record it so I can watch the pee reverse direction.

Fonze said:

try to be the first swearing politician; just record it so I can watch the pee reverse direction.

Worked out alright for this guy, heh.

Fonze said:

The thing about swearing: things like calling somebody a "pit of snakes" are swears, but there is a stark difference between something like that and "fucker" or "dumbass." One is more tactful than the other. Of course a person who naturally has a larger vocabulary will also have a larger repertoire of curse words at their disposal, but it's still that individual's choice of going with a curse word over something more tactful in the first place, especially when it comes to saying something bad about somebody or something.

Because it's words that have been proven to work for thousands of years and are just as effective today as they were back then. If we were to reinvent our repertoire of curse words it would literally take us thousands of years again before they'd catch on as the norm. So in other words, definitely not seeing it happening in our lifetime. And that's also presuming those words turn out to be even more effective than the ones we have now. Which often consist of no more than four letters (exceptions being bitch, bastard or goddamn) and almost always one syllable to pronounce. This simplicity is a good example of function vs. aesthetic.

Fonze said:

They say your friends are some of the dumbest people you'll ever meet (and that saying applies to your friends about you as well), which is funny in relation to this because we all naturally talk differently to our friends and others (we probably take for granted) as we do those we actually want to impress. This of course (as well as generally letting our guard down) makes us talk "dumber" around our friends and only keeps the truth to the old saying in a beautifully cyclical chain of irony.

Strange, the dumbest people I've met in life so far have failed to stay my friends. As for my actual friends, they're some of the nicest, hardworking, laid-back, easygoing, open-minded and intelligent people I've known.

We also let ourselves go around each other because we want to be ourselves. I don't care about trying to impress some stranger I'm only going to see at most once in my entire life. And if I ever end up getting judged over such menial things like swearing when there's larger issues to worry about it will show the real intelligence of these people. Thankfully, most people in the flesh seem to be a lot more chill, friendly and less inclined to take offense when they're not behind an electronic device.

Fonze said:

So it boils down, ultimately, to the mental laziness of not choosing a better set of words for the given situation, as well as the necessity of the word in question.

Or just efficiency. Mother nature is particularly fond of that one.

Fonze said:

I never said swearing makes one sound stupid, nor does it make what one says inherently stupid, but it is certainly a sign of a lack of tactfulness and social skills and does make what is said less important/meaningful.

Funny, I've only seen one example of this from back in my younger days (late teens to early adulthood) and it was from my father, who I fondly remember ignoring everything meaningful I said and brought up during a pretty serious argument but had paid very close attention to the one or two swear words used in my speech which apparently caused all other words to go in one ear and out the other. Thank fuck he is not the majority eh? Or everything I've said up to this point will of been for naught! I hate oversensitive types.

Fonze said:

Look at all the times Bloodshedder has been told to fuck off; you think any of those at all phase him? Same with one's boss at work or any person over 30. After a while it's funny, then a while longer and it's just another thing; "whatever." And some of those "fuck off's" really poured their souls out trying. God bless their hearts; pissing into the wind is always comical.

There's an upside to swearing right there then, the ability to toughen up and become desensitized. And when I say desensitized I don't mean having to necessarily be some hardass like me (I rarely raise an eyebrow at the horrors of the world in this day and age) just learn to start choosing your battles of what you're going to take offense to. Being told to go fuck myself from a loved one has more effect than it does from some stranger saying the same thing. I don't know you or why you have such a grudge against me but uh okay fuck you too then!

The day someone collapses into the fetal position from 'a pit of snakes', though.

Fonze said:

These forums are public; not one-on-one or even small group conversations.

It's on the internet though, so that statement there goes right out the window. Not saying we're obligated to behave like lunatics because haha text on a screen! But that your situational awareness is basically gone when you're behind a monitor. Unless you're internet shy or something, and if that's the case (and its not due to being underage) then that might actually be a good thing as it probably means you stay out of most if not all internet-related conflicts and don't spend copious amounts of time on a computer in the first place.

Lol at that Eris.

Forgive me for my spot research here, as I am not familiar with him, but he doesn't seem to be known to curse often. From what I gleam, that was likely the only public swear he said all speech, possibly all speeches for a while. Either that or he had called the other guy a fuck right before then and so people were dying to hear him say it, making it the joke that the laugh implied. Also note the set-up he led into it with, and the fact that it was basically the punchline to his political mumbo-jumbo. That's an example of a more tactful use of that word. In a way, not many other words could have been used to elicit the same emotional response from the crowd; that word was necessary to his delivery. It also meant more, because he isn't known for using it often. That's another funny thing about curses: they themselves mean more the less you use them.

Cyanosis said:

Because it's words that have been proven to work for thousands of years and are just as effective today as they were back then. If we were to reinvent our repertoire of curse words it would literally take us thousands of years again before they'd catch on as the norm. So in other words, definitely not seeing it happening in our lifetime. And that's also presuming those words turn out to be even more effective than the ones we have now. Which often consist of no more than four letters (exceptions being bitch, bastard or goddamn) and almost always one syllable to pronounce. This simplicity is a good example of function vs. aesthetic.

Wait who's talking about reinventing curse words? For the record, as this seems to be a bit of confusion, "pit of snakes" is actually an old Biblical curse, (although a misnomer in hindsight. I somehow mixed up "mind like a snake pit" with "you brood of vipers"), not that it matters where it came from and granted totally not relevant today, (a bad choice of words on my part, admitted) but it's more tactful than calling somebody a fucker. My point isn't to reinvent curse words; it's to use them a bit less freely. It's easy to say something is shit, but a child could do that. Why is it shit? Is that question ever answered? If the word conveys nothing more than it was bad then just say it was bad. Same goes for when used extraneously, like "that fucking sucked." Where's the function in that? As for using them as expletives: you could use any number of things, but of course a four-letter, one-syllable word is easiest.

Strange, the dumbest people I've met in life so far have failed to stay my friends. As for my actual friends, they're some of the nicest, hardworking, laid-back, easygoing, open-minded and intelligent people I've known.

We also let ourselves go around each other because we want to be ourselves. I don't care about trying to impress some stranger I'm only going to see at most once in my entire life. And if I ever end up getting judged over such menial things like swearing when there's larger issues to worry about it will show the real intelligence of these people. Thankfully, most people in the flesh seem to be a lot more chill, friendly and less inclined to take offense when they're not behind an electronic device.

There is a difference between this and in person. 1-on-1 or small groups are essentially private conversations, not at all the same as this. This is more like walking into a supermarket and talking over the intercom. Different rules apply to different situations. Like you said, we let ourselves go around people whom we are comfortable with (that's also where the dumb comment comes from; we make the most silly, stupid mistakes from not thinking when we are comfortable), if me and you were talking in-person, I'd likely throw a few curse words in there just because I'm as much a fool as anyone. Also, you talk to people the way they talk; not in the way that you change your voice or accent, but if you are talking to your boss, you'll talk differently than talking to your friend. And who are you having more intelligent conversations with? Your friend; as you discuss those sweet titties you just saw, or your boss when you talk about sales numbers and the direction of the company/your part in it?

I would hope that the literal dumbest people you meet are not in your life, but you have to understand that particular old saying is meant to be an observation of irony more than a revealing life fact, though there is some truth to it, if a bit loose.

Or just efficiency. Mother nature is particularly fond of that one.

Mother nature is fond of entropy.

How is it more efficient to say something like "this conversation is a fucking waste of time" than to just say "this conversation is a waste of time?" (note, [I don't mean that, btw] the only difference between these two is that I sound more emotional and immature in the first example, with the curse word) How is it more efficient to tell somebody to "fuck off" when the same result could have been achieved by saying nothing at all? (because it doesn't phase them) I think your mind is focused solely on expletives.

Funny, I've only seen one example of this from back in my younger days (late teens to early adulthood) and it was from my father, who I fondly remember ignoring everything meaningful I said and brought up during a pretty serious argument but had paid very close attention to the one or two swear words used in my speech which apparently caused all other words to go in one ear and out the other. Thank fuck he is not the majority eh? Or everything I've said up to this point will of been for naught! I hate oversensitive types.

There's an upside to swearing right there then, the ability to toughen up and become desensitized. And when I say desensitized I don't mean having to necessarily be some hardass like me (I rarely raise an eyebrow at the horrors of the world in this day and age) just learn to start choosing your battles of what you're going to take offense to. Being told to go fuck myself from a loved one has more effect than it does from some stranger saying the same thing. I don't know you or why you have such a grudge against me but uh okay fuck you too then!

Agreed, to toughen one up when they are 10. After that they should be able to recite the old saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me." (people should add "unless I let them" at the end of that, hehe.) (everybody worth their weight in salt is a hardass) At some point being insulted through curse words means nothing and just makes the other person look like it still means something to them.

Pro-tip: if you want to really hurt somebody's feelings, don't yell and curse at them until you are purple in the face, calmly attack whatever they pride themselves on. It will mean more and go further if you do not appear emotional when you insult somebody.

The day someone collapses into the fetal position from 'a pit of snakes', though.

Lol, yes, wrong choice of words on my part, but the day when any curse word makes someone collapse into the fetal position... Much better chance in attacking what they really hold dear in a way which causes them to take you 100% seriously.

It's on the internet though, so that statement there goes right out the window. Not saying we're obligated to behave like lunatics because haha text on a screen! But that your situational awareness is basically gone when you're behind a monitor. Unless you're internet shy or something, and if that's the case (and its not due to being underage) then that might actually be a good thing as it probably means you stay out of most if not all internet-related conflicts and don't spend copious amounts of time on a computer in the first place.

I played WoW for a while, thanks; I'm no stranger to being on the internet. In fact, WoW was an interesting chance for me to study human psych, (of people online; anonymous) given the way the chat works in it. You might say fuck in regular chat that only people next to you can see, but you wouldn't just get on the General channel and start saying "What the fuck is up everybody. How you bitches doing today? Anyone trying to kick some motherfucking ass in the God damned shithole [insert raid here] today?" More-so, I treat it the same as RL, since it is real people we are talking to. Unfortunately the smile that is typically on my face cannot be transcribed into text, but it takes more than some nasty words to ruffle my feathers. At this point it's a debate on hypotheticals (and I do like to debate, but hate the time it takes to type one up) so whatever the original words were is a moot point.

Situational awareness does not leave you when you sit behind a monitor. If you don't believe me, log onto Facebook, go to your boss's page and tell her that she's "a sleazy bitch. Like this is total recall, I'm Arnold Schwarzenegger and your the sleazy bit-- hey what you doing working here, you were in the movies!" Or tell him he's the worst boss you've ever had the displeasure of working for. No curses in there, but I bet you'll realize how bad of a move each would be either right before posting or a second ago when you read it. That's situational awareness. This is a public forum; we are fortunate that our names are not tied to our accounts, but it is still you putting your words out there; publicly, for everyone to see if they so choose.

Fonze said:

tactful x7

You're pretty amorous of that term, I entertain verbosity too, I don't bestow it in everyday communication, but its mandatory for writing.

Fonze said:

Why is it shit? Is that question ever answered? If the word conveys nothing more than it was bad then just say it was bad. Same goes for when used extraneously, like "that fucking sucked." Where's the function in that? As for using them as expletives: you could use any number of things, but of course a four-letter, one-syllable word is easiest.

I'd say if that person knows what they're talking about they'll be able to back it up. Unless they're too young and/or don't know what they're talking about 'Well, it's just shit! I dunno'. If something's shit or it fucking sucked then it most likely warranted such a powerful response, and those are strong emotions to convey that level of disgruntlement. Otherwise, a time and place.

Fonze said:

This is more like walking into a supermarket and talking over the intercom.

That's a pretty extreme example, most wouldn't do this.

Fonze said:

if me and you were talking in-person, I'd likely throw a few curse words in there just because I'm as much a fool as anyone.

Why are you discrediting yourself? You said swearing in general doesn't make one stupid yet you seem to suggest otherwise. It doesn't put a strike on my language and social skills.

Fonze said:

Also, you talk to people the way they talk; not in the way that you change your voice or accent, but if you are talking to your boss, you'll talk differently than talking to your friend. And who are you having more intelligent conversations with? Your friend; as you discuss those sweet titties you just saw, or your boss when you talk about sales numbers and the direction of the company/your part in it?

Obviously on the first part, but the latter is a generalization. Not all bosses are like that. Not all friends are like that.

Fonze said:

How is it more efficient to say something like "this conversation is a fucking waste of time" than to just say "this conversation is a waste of time?" (note, [I don't mean that, btw] the only difference between these two is that I sound more emotional and immature in the first example, with the curse word) How is it more efficient to tell somebody to "fuck off" when the same result could have been achieved by saying nothing at all? (because it doesn't phase them) I think your mind is focused solely on expletives.

Again, there's a time and place. If I need to convey to someone they're seriously wasting my time or to fuck off I might be more harsh about it if they don't get the message the first time. It would require this person to be really dense and obnoxious for me to be like that to them. Such a sudden and raw display can phase them if they weren't expecting it, again showing their daftness. If it ever has to come to that then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Fonze said:

but you wouldn't just get on the General channel and start saying "What the fuck is up everybody. How you bitches doing today? Anyone trying to kick some motherfucking ass in the God damned shithole [insert raid here] today?"

Well duh, that's just common sense. Albeit unfortunately, and ironically, isn't as common as it should be. Stupidity will always overpower sensibility.

Fonze said:

Situational awareness does not leave you when you sit behind a monitor. If you don't believe me, log onto Facebook, go to your boss's page and tell her that she's "a sleazy bitch. Like this is total recall, I'm Arnold Schwarzenegger and your the sleazy bit-- hey what you doing working here, you were in the movies!" Or tell him he's the worst boss you've ever had the displeasure of working for. No curses in there, but I bet you'll realize how bad of a move each would be either right before posting or a second ago when you read it.

Except that I wouldn't do something like that because once again common sense? Maybe if you're drunk.

Cyanosis said:

Obviously on the first part, but the latter is a generalization. Not all bosses are like that. Not all friends are like that.

Certainly

Cyanosis said:

Why are you discrediting yourself? You said swearing in general doesn't make one stupid yet you seem to suggest otherwise. It doesn't put a strike on my language and social skills.

Hold the phones; who the Hell gave me any credit to discredit? We're all in this together, whatever this is. My super-special little snowflake is flat like everybody else's, kek.

Off-topic

Spoiler

My parents were sailors and I have bad habits like everybody else. I'll always remember my second job, there was middle-aged African American gentleman; really respectable guy and he always treated others with respect. Called even folk less than half his age sir and ma'am always, as one example. I said something stupid around him one day and he looked at me and said, "Boy, your mouth is atrocious." I didn't know what to say; I just squinted and looked at him, trying to process what just happened. Finally I got out an "I'm sorry" and I never cursed around him again. That stuck with me. On top of that, after my mom, I hold a special place in my heart for folk near the end of the road; I wouldn't curse around them, just the same as I wouldn't make a dirty joke around them, but then again most folk develop more class as they age. Also, do note that as greedy as companies are, they still don't want you to curse in front of customers; presumably cursing must somehow negatively impact sales. Then again they also want you to smile, make customers feel important, carry yourself with confidence and speak (since you love it so much ;D here it comes) tactfully. All of which are generally good social skills.

My point was that in-person speech is different than typing here; you can come up with an analogy if mine are unsuitable (perhaps a quiet, fancy restaurant while one of us swears at a normal volume), but there is no comparison between this and, say, a 1-on-1 conversation between you and I in-person. Then again, we agree that you wouldn't go talking like that in a General Chat; what's the difference between that and this, except that this remains for posterity while that was more similar to an IRC.

It seems that we agree on most things, except perhaps where to draw that line of acceptable vs unacceptable. What you said:

Cyanosis said:

a time and place.

is exactly what I'm saying with "situational awareness," which for some reason you seem to not like, despite agreeing with it. My point is just that the time and place do not happen to be on a public forum for no real reason to a bunch of people who barely know of you, if at all. I can't argue with a viable reason to curse, which we covered and seem to (mostly) agree with, (such as to elicit a particular response out of whomever the audience is) but the decline of basic language skills is right up there with a decline of basic math skills as signs of the decline of a civilization. I'll always remember that quote; (which I paraphrased and butchered, I'm sure) I first heard it in a statistics class in college. Our professor was from India; he said that with a big ole smile on his face and indeed it is funny, but the real punch line was that he followed it up by telling us it was his last year teaching, after which he was headed back home. I might have been the only person in the class who got a good laugh from that, but what he said is true. Things like those two go hand in hand with critical thinking and actual, practiced intelligence. In addition, falling into extraneous speech will lead to the same effect in one's writing and thoughts as it's a product of not practicing one's language skills, which is certainly mental laziness. Perhaps I'm just too much of a hardass to both sugarcoat our/my/us/them/whatever real problems and to sympathize with folk that act immature/emotional, of which cursing is a sign. Curse words diminish meaning, but not because the focus shifts to the curse words; it's because curse words are by their nature over-the-top.

Six said:

What constitutes a real job anyway?

Doing something you hate for a living? Hard labour, paperwork, telemarketing?

Fuck them, right?

Something that contributes something to society and not making videos talking about current events. Then again there's also people who like their jobs doing what they do for a living.

Imback55 said:

Something that contributes something to society

A subjective definition if there ever was one.

Imback55 said:

Something that contributes something to society

By your terms.

A job is something you do in exchange for regular payment. Whether you shovel shit for a living or act in a Hollywood movie, it's still a job. Defining it as 'real' is just nonsense.

Imback55 said:

Then again there's also people who like their jobs doing what they do for a living

Good for them. Doesn't make any difference though.

Imback55 said:

Something that contributes something to society and not making videos talking about current events. Then again there's also people who like their jobs doing what they do for a living.

So a person who creates entertainment, is paid by a company to do so, and makes their living doing so doesn't have a real job?

Woah...really makes you think...

TheMightyHeracross said:

Another overhyped censorship scare.

But in seriousness, every time something like this happens, it ends up being nothing but alarmist BS. Remember the SOPA/PIPA scares? Or the "Orphan Works" laws?
That said, I'm surprised this thread is only showing up just now.

Uhm, this and SOPA/PIPA are not even moderately related issues. This is merely YT changing their terms of service with their content providers. Something that is bound to call for some upset users since the rules are so nebulous and actually quite strict at the same time. Like they essentially make news channels on the site not able to monetize their videos, simply because they deal with news and real world issues. And "controversial topics" aren't allowed for monetization either, because that is something that can be enforced by anyone ever with any kind of consistency.

SOPA/PIPA was legislation being pushed in the US towards allowing corporations to have a much greater control of what goes on on the internet. Now one could argue that because of all the "alarmist bs" as you put it towards SOPA/PIPA it did not get passed. Because people were made aware of it. So obviously nothing came of it because it was struck down. So how about a little bit of nuance, please?

Now, censorship is a big word that people throw around for all sorts of nonsense these days without actually having a clue of what it means. Some people claim it is censorship when a pod-caster makes cuts in his or her own podcast for the sake of brevity and quality. People screamed censorship cause Blizzard agreed with criticism that a pose in Overwatch didn't work with the character it was coupled with. So, yes a bit of nuance from those of you screaming about censorship would be appreciated as well.

Fonze said:

kek.

Oh so swearing is a degenerate form of language and makes people dumber, I see. And people shouldn't swear in places they shouldn't, just like they shouldn't do everything else in places they shouldn't. Never mind that extraneous speech seems to be found far more often in the form of giant paragraphs than a few words that communicate the same thing.

For some of these people, Youtube videos are their "real job," although I'd agree they should have backups of some kind. The problem is that the guidlines are very vague and so far the selection has been willy-nilly. I think the true harm, though, would come of people abusing a certain guidelines. For example, lets say there's a controversial movie coming out and everyone has unfavorable videos. These could be seen as "Controversial" and be chosen to be demonetized, effectively bashing anyone who has something negative to say (As in, movie groups could preen videos themselves and then pressure Youtube to demonetize videos that speak ill of one of their products). Maybe that's a little Tin Foil hat, but the fact that it could happen is a little alarming.

And as mentioned, videos on serious topics, such as wars, famines, terrorists, etc, could be demonetized for simply bringing realism to the screen, just because the topics may cause controversy and may deemed inappropriate via means of violence, all while the safe, sugar-sweet saccharine React videos get a pass for not doing anything important (Which thus leads to Youtube basically sweeping over important topics in favor of mild video series).