Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

Good job, YouTube. You fucked up again.

Jaxxoon R said:

Oh so swearing is a degenerate form of language and makes people dumber, I see. And people shouldn't swear in places they shouldn't, just like they shouldn't do everything else in places they shouldn't. Never mind that extraneous speech seems to be found far more often in the form of giant paragraphs than a few words that communicate the same thing.

If that's all you got from what I had typed then perhaps those words were all extraneous.

Mr. Freeze said:

So a person who creates entertainment, is paid by a company to do so, and makes their living doing so doesn't have a real job?

Woah...really makes you think...

I was referring to YouTubers who aren't real celebrities however, there are some YouTubers like Philp DeFranco for example who can actually do this for the rest of their lives. Eventually most of them are going to have to go out in the real world and find a job when they can't make a living off of YouTube videos anymore.

Because somehow any other job couldn't eventually end.

Fonze said:

If that's all you got from what I had typed then perhaps those words were all extraneous.

Less is more.

Fonze said:

Look Mom, I squatted and shat out word salad again.

As doomworld's premier sweary person, I suggest we have a little competition. Any sort of writing competition you choose. You get to put your money where your mouth is and prove how intellectually superior you are.

You won't do it, because you're dumb as shit, and having to rationalize both your own failure and the failure of your worldview is probably beyond you.

You shouldn't be swearing on the youtubes if you aren't as entertaining as Reggie when doing so.

Imback55 said:

I was referring to YouTubers who aren't real celebrities however, there are some YouTubers like Philp DeFranco for example who can actually do this for the rest of their lives. Eventually most of them are going to have to go out in the real world and find a job when they can't make a living off of YouTube videos anymore.

Y'do realize that

celebrities aren't just spat out of the dark aether's beak and just are

they're people who did their job ( usually entertainment-based ) and got famous for doing it, right.

Saying stuff like this is basically saying anyone who isn't already famous for their writing, acting, music, etc. shouldn't remotely bother with it, and when the current people doing that stuff die off the medium should die with them. Because, y'know, no one is making any more books or songs or movies or what have you, because it isn't a "real job" unless you're a celebrity and there's no point in even trying.

Ph'd? Perhaps; I wouldn't be too surprised. We (granted probably mostly me) have grossly derailed this thread; I suppose it would be fitting. Can't say I'd blink twice if I went with it; I'm certainly not above saying something stupid and truthfully every response I make only perpetuates the cycle. Like I said, my super special little snowflake is flat like everybody else's.

darknation said:

As doomworld's premier sweary person, I suggest we have a little competition. Any sort of writing competition you choose. You get to put your money where your mouth is and prove how intellectually superior you are.

You won't do it, because you're dumb as shit, and having to rationalize both your own failure and the failure of your worldview is probably beyond you.

Ah, the comic relief of EE; how nice of you to join us :)

So there are somewhere near 7 billion people in this world, 7 billion of which you and I combined don't know. Let me ask you a question, do you really think that you or I are anywhere above average? No, I think we are all closer together than we like to admit.

You did get one thing right; I am dumb as shit. I'll be the first to tell you that I've made enough stupid mistakes in my life to throw any delusions of superior intelligence out the window. My whole life people have told me I'm smart, but that means nothing when the results show otherwise. Funny thing about mistakes: they are often preventable. If I really were smart/smarter/whatever, I wouldn't have allowed those mistakes to happen.

Now, if you really want to have a "competition," we can, but if the whole goal is just to compare the sizes of our e-dicks why don't we just cut to the chase and send each other dick pics.

Arctangent said:

Y'do realize that

celebrities aren't just spat out of the dark aether's beak and just are

they're people who did their job ( usually entertainment-based ) and got famous for doing it, right.

Saying stuff like this is basically saying anyone who isn't already famous for their writing, acting, music, etc. shouldn't remotely bother with it, and when the current people doing that stuff die off the medium should die with them. Because, y'know, no one is making any more books or songs or movies or what have you, because it isn't a "real job" unless you're a celebrity and there's no point in even trying.

Again I was referring to YouTubers and not celebrities. I was mainly talking about those people who do videos on current events for the most part and I never said that the medium should die with them. Of course, that is still a possibility and I once again never said that there's no point in even trying. Making YouTube videos is mostly supposed to be for fun and not as a job. Doing videos on current events as job takes the fun out of the hobby.

Imback55 said:

Making YouTube videos is mostly supposed to be for fun and not as a job.

That's just not how things are though. No matter how much you tell yourself.

People have made businesses from their channels, they've created brands, identities. it's become a new form of entertainment, one of which is rivalling television.

Like it or not, the format is here to stay and those fortunate enough will continue to earn a decent living from it. Whether they deserve it or not doesn't matter.

Six said:

People have made businesses from their channels, they've created brands, identities. it's become a new form of entertainment, one of which is rivalling television.

Yeah, good examples would be like Lazy Game Reviews, Game Grumps or TotalBiscuit, and Cr1tikal gives most of his income to charities.

Imback55 said:

Making YouTube videos is mostly supposed to be for fun and not as a job.

Says who, you? Don't make me laugh.

Also, the exact same thing was said about videogames. Yet here we are, in a esports world where players are salaried for thousands of dollars annually. Really makes you think...

If Youtube was ever bad, or going to get worse, it would be the fault of the userbase. I have never seen such a open-air sewer on the internet before I saw the comments sections on most videos

TheCupboard said:

If Youtube was ever bad, or going to get worse, it would be the fault of the userbase. I have never seen such a open-air sewer on the internet before I saw the comments sections on most videos

I think there's a browser extension you can download that will actually block the comments section of YouTube.

Piper Maru said:

I think there's a browser extension you can download that will actually block the comments section of YouTube.

Yes there is.

Unfortunately, I never used it.

I would like to know why there are adults in the modern world that believe certain mouth noises that sound almost exactly like other mouth noises, are not allowed to be heard. Yeah yeah yeah, YouTube is huge, it's got a rep to maintain, but the only reason "swear" words are treated the way they are is because of leftover religious baggage that is totally, 100% irrelevant in the 21st century.

Yes, because religion is truly the source of every single evil in the world, and shit, fuck, ass, and cunt all stem from religious text.

Piper Maru said:

I haven't seen any comment on Youtube for years -- installing NoScript (and only allowing what was necessary for the videos to play) killed them dead. Instead there's just a throbber and a "Loading..." that never ever ends.

Arctangent said:

Yes, because religion is truly the source of every single evil in the world, and shit, fuck, ass, and cunt all stem from religious text.

I think what Goatlord is trying to say is that you all have a clear case of Pavlov's Cunt. You have been conditioned to react in a certain way when you hear the ringing of the cunt bell. You need to stop and think about why you find that certain arrangement of syllables offensive.

But isn't that what language is? We deem particular words and sounds to have meanings and social standards. That's how communication works.

I've always found the idea of 'bad' words to be kind of funny. Just one of the many concepts out there demonstrating that all we require for a thing to be true is for enough people to agree to sharing the delusion. I'm glad they exist though, it makes them all the more satisfying to say, especially in a moment of pain or shock - yelling 'FUCK' really does seem to reduce the pain!

Is it bad if I find the discussion about swearing far more interesting? Anyone who uses YouTube somewhat regularly knows they have a monthly quota of retarded decisions to make that will then be negatively received by most users then rolled back to a large degree. This pattern has been going for years now, funnily enough.

Edward850 said:

But isn't that what language is? We deem particular words and sounds to have meanings and social standards. That's how communication works.

Fine, but social standards are an artificial construct. In the case of swearing, they are utterly dependent upon the aesthetics of the listener, and those aesthetics are formed by conditioning within the social structure.

Something isn't bad just because you say it is. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but hearing another man use the word Cunt doesn't actually hurt you. Banning freedom of expression because it goes against what you perceive to be a social norm is more offensive to me than a thousand people swearing.

If you push your agenda on people, don't act surprised when they push back.

edit: this argument is not aimed against Edward850 in particular, it's just a general statement of intent. I could probably edit it to say 'something isn't bad because society says it is', but it's dishonest to alter my argument after publication. Apologies.

darknation said:

I think what Goatlord is trying to say is that you all have a clear case of Pavlov's Cunt. You have been conditioned to react in a certain way when you hear the ringing of the cunt bell. You need to stop and think about why you find that certain arrangement of syllables offensive.

You never sent me that pic; I'm super cereally upset at you now.

*Edit*
I agree with what you say, but socially acceptable is different than legally acceptable. It's your right to act like a child, but it's also others' rights to think of you as crude.

darknation said:

Fine, but social standards are an artificial construct.

... Just like language?

I mean, agreeing to not kill each other on sight is just as human-created as "agreeing to not kill each other on sight" meaning exactly that.

Arctangent said:

... Just like language?

I mean, agreeing to not kill each other on sight is just as human-created as "agreeing to not kill each other on sight" meaning exactly that.

It could be argued that not killing eachother on sight makes more sense to exist as a social construct as opposed to having 7 arbitrary naughty words as the former is absolutely necessary for the species to exist and the latter is pretty much pointless other than as a (relatively minor) means of control, but regardless what you said is completely true and this thread has been derailed far enough anyway

darknation said:

Banning freedom of expression because it goes against what you perceive to be a social norm is more offensive to me than a thousand people swearing.

Gotta chime in here. You're right, it would be pretty bad if a word was banned and its use persecuted for its supposed latent potential to harm or insult. Then again, that is clearly not happening here as no one's banning freedom of expression, because you don't have any on YT. People have grown to treat YT as a venue for public discourse or whatever that term for free speech is, but it's just a goddamn business. They can ban your sorry ass for whatever cynical reason, "go fuck yourself, kid"-style and everything will still be perfectly alright.

And they're not even doing that, they're merely enforcing their standing TOS on the users who generate income with their videos. You know, the rabid pale white nerds who clicked "I agree" without reading any of that lawyer shit. Don't monetize your vids and you can continue shrieking in white hot rage how the fucking Nintendo cunts raped your childhood with the latest Zelda installment.

tl;dr Dispense cunts at will, but don't expect Google to play pimp.