Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

Good job, YouTube. You fucked up again.

Arctangent said:

Yes, because religion is truly the source of every single evil in the world, and shit, fuck, ass, and cunt all stem from religious text.

I don't think claiming that religious morals are the source of the negative connotation that words referring to reproductive organs and bodily excretions/fluids have is the same as saying that "every single evil in the world" can be backtracked to "religious text." And who said that swear words are evil? Did you even read what I wrote?

Also, I like the quote from Edward-something-or-other about how "We deem particular words and sounds to have meanings and social standards. That's how communication works." And I totally agree. As has been said, we share in the delusion that this mouth noise means x and that mouth noise means y. But there ought not to be any legal interference whatsoever regarding which mouth noises are okay to utter. I'm not saying every children's shows should contain as many fucks and cunts as the writers desire, but I do think that we're living in 21st century and should just stop with the whole "bad words" thing.

GoatLord said:

But there ought not to be any legal interference whatsoever regarding which mouth noises are okay to utter.

Well good news, there is neither a legal restriction nor does that have nothing to do with what's going on here. This is strictly what advertisers say they do or don't want to have contained in works they advertise on. Swearing or otherwise is not actually against Youtube's TOS anyway.

Basically:

dew said:

tl;dr Dispense cunts at will, but don't expect Google to play pimp.

GoatLord said:

As has been said, we share in the delusion that this mouth noise means x and that mouth noise means y.

You seem to be quite benevolent with the meaning of the mouth noise "delusion" and I'm afraid I cannot share in with you.

Swearing profusely on monetized Youtube videos is the equivalent of sex jokes in standup comedy. Any measure against pathetic, soulless, grubby cashmaking strategies in entertainment is a good thing.

dew said:

You seem to be quite benevolent with the meaning of the mouth noise "delusion" and I'm afraid I cannot share in with you.

If it ain't delusion, then what is it? Our mouth noises don't have meaning to anyone outside those who agree that x sounds means y. It's not as though there's some objective truth to language; it's entirely contextual.

Calling it a delusion implies that words have no meaning. Or course, words do have meaning. Why? Humans say they do. Just because its not objective meaning doesn't mean its not there. In fact, objective meaning doesn't exist.

GoatLord said:

If it ain't delusion, then what is it? Our mouth noises don't have meaning to anyone outside those who agree that x sounds means y. It's not as though there's some objective truth to language; it's entirely contextual.

Well, obviously I'm outside of those who agree that "delusion" is allowed to be used in this context. Googling the word, we get

an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"the delusion of being watched"

So what you're saying here is that anyone who agrees with using language and its artificial assignment of meanings to words contradicts reality. And is most likely not mentally sound.

See, it matters not that the meaning is subjective to a group of people using a particular language - precisely because there is no "inherent, natural" meaning to the word as a sound spontaneously emitted while a comet expels a jet of carbon dioxide as it warms up approaching a star on the other side of the Milky Way. We're not deluding ourselves, because we're not contradicting an objective, inherently truthful meaning.

We're getting into semantics, and I basically agree with you, but I would say that if the objective reality of the situation is that a mouth noise has no innate meaning, then applying a meaning to it would be a contradiction of that reality.

Phml said:

Swearing profusely on monetized Youtube videos is the equivalent of sex jokes in standup comedy. Any measure against pathetic, soulless, grubby cashmaking strategies in entertainment is a good thing.

I mean I guess I kinda sorta agree if the comedy is reliant on swearing, but that aside a lot of funny/entertaining material contains bad words. If saying "fuck" gets your video demonetised, that would be a load, but thankfully that really doesn't seem to be the case.

It's a good thing that we (generally, likely should be more) let artists of all types, even entertainers, express themselves publicly without persecution. I would expect for most modern comedians to curse and tell some somewhat offensive jokes on stage/the-TV-lookity-box. I wouldn't (hope to) expect my, say, President, college professor, or role model to do so publicly. Still, as they are over-the-top inherently, there is something to be said about a comedian that can make you laugh without actually saying any bad words. That said, I'll always enjoy some George Carlin; swears can be funny, but you have to make them funny and typically not use the shocking piece as the punchline. Go somewhere from there and use that confusion to bring about something greater.

It's likely not a coincidence that the more curse words you say, the more people you'll turn off. At some point we all lose our taste for shock comedy and it begins to reek of "trying too hard" to build a joke around a punchline that they forgot to make funny.

GoatLord said:

We're getting into semantics, and I basically agree with you, but I would say that if the objective reality of the situation is that a mouth noise has no innate meaning, then applying a meaning to it would be a contradiction of that reality.

Something cannot have innate meaning.