Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bioshockfan90

Chip's Challenge, anyone?

Anyone else remember playing Chip's Challenge on PCs back in the day? When I was really young, my dad let me play on his dinosaur of a PC, and Chip's Challenge was on there. Hours of frustration ensued.

Anyway, what do you guys remember about Chip's Challenge? Hate it? Love it? Wanna talk about space pinball instead (once again, hours of fun and frustration)?

Discuss.

You can actually get Chip's Challenge and its unreleased sequel here.

The dude behind Chip's Challenge also made a relatively recent game in the game vein called Chuck's Challenge 3D, which you can get here.

The music from that game is forever engrained in my mind.. Never tried Chuck's Challenge 3D, will have to give it a whirl soon.

I remember this game. Same with Minesweeper and Ski Free. I recall getting up to the levels with big monsters that would chase you around in Chip's Challenge. It was fun from time to time.

Yeah I loved this game, played the shit out of it even though I was so rubbish at it, heh. Made like 200 user levels for it or something once I discovered ChipEdit.

Ah, how I wish this thread was more active than... just a few posts.

Either way, I have an idea that belongs more to the Stupid Mod Idea thread, but what if we make Chip's Challenge 3D for GZDoom/Crispy/etc.?

Also, since the closure of the well-known Yahoo Group, Bitbusters.club has made an effort to preserve all the uploaded files, which you can check here.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

Pretty sure Jimmy did that several years ago.

Blocks of Doom II has been discontinued tho. Wish somebody continues the mod sometime later.

I remember beating the  Windows 3.1 version of chip's challenge when I was young. The last level with the ice I think, and one with the skates. The version I played was without music.

1. Chip's Challenge is good. You should also play Sokoban. Sokoban is good.

2. I think TimeofDeath did "chip's challenge in doom" first:

7 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

1. Chip's Challenge is good. You should also play Sokoban. Sokoban is good.

2. I think TimeofDeath did "chip's challenge in doom" first:

1. Tried Sokoban in many platforms. Turned it down because it's much more frustrating (and less intuitive).

2. That mod looks good. I'll get my hand on it. Is it Vanilla-compatible though?

Time of Maps is probably limit removing. Mostly vanilla but with intercepts overflow turned off, and with a dehacked lump in the wad rather than separate.

Edit: actually it's complevel 9 for some reason.

aw geez I thought this was a "who can eat the most potato chips contest" and I was just getting primed and ready :(

3 minutes ago, Clippy said:

aw geez I thought this was a "who can eat the most potato chips contest" and I was just getting primed and ready :(

Those mukbang YouTubers just keep coming in my mind, now that this, along with related food challenges, comes to trend nowadays.

Then again, that pretzel pack that Chip gulped in the game's prologue upon seeing Melissa the Mind Marvel might just be as delicious in our mind!

Back in the late 90's, the only computer at my mom's house was an old one running Windows 3.1. Chip's Challenge was one of the games on it. Me, my sister and my friend were working on beating it. I think we managed it. Some "puzzles" were crap though. Oh how I hated that one were you have to push 5 billion crates and have to start over if you make a mistake.

These days I don't think I could get into the game. Especially after having played DROD. It sure has a place in history though.

I only know about chip's challenge because some dude did romhacks of sonic 1 and 2 with chip as the main character instead of sonic.