Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeffo2448

Name one thing Doom 16 is missing

Preliatus said:

That would look tacky in the game. How about a reflective overlay on the visor portion of the helmet while in dark/hellish areas?

Classic weapon views in '16 already look tacky IMO.

Clonehunter said:

SS Troopers

Calm down, hitler

Preliatus said:

My named thing that's missing from Doom '16 is.. Pain Elementals.

I never liked those. They always looked to me like ugly Cacodemons. Glad they are not in Doom 2016.

igg said:

I never liked those. They always looked to me like ugly Cacodemons. Glad they are not in Doom 2016.

That was never the point. Their functionality as a monster spawner is what makes me wish they came back.

shotfan said:

Their functionality as a monster spawner is what makes me wish they came back.

According to the codex the Summorer spawns demons but I don't remember seeing him doing so.

it does, but at quite a slow rate, it's to the point where it's hard to notice becaue they're just zombies. Seems like waisted potential to me, should have just beefed her up with another attack or have her heal other monsters. Wonder why they didn't do that? That seems like an appropriate effect to actually fill the healer class like the archville did, rather than having an ability that's to a large extent non-threatening. After seeing how few monsters id wants in the game at a time (for technical reasons many of us assume) It now makes more sense why we didn't get to see the hell elemental, and after seeing the engines restraints in monster population a PE just seems like it would be waisted effort anyway, As much as I love the little meatball.

igg said:

Yeah, they looked like floating meatballs, and I hate meatballs!

If there was some things that was missing, it would have to be more new monsters.

I do dig the Hell Razer and the Summoner, but the Hell Guards felt kind of meh. It would've been interesting to see new takes on the Pain Elemental, Arachnotron, and the Arch-Vile, plus some monsters from the Doom 3 rogues gallery, such as the Maggot, Cherub, Wraith, Tick/Trite, Bruiser, Vagary, and the Vulgar.

shotfan said:

That was never the point. Their functionality as a monster spawner is what makes me wish they came back.

Considering how annoying and suicidal Lost Souls are now, I think Pain Elementals would have been every player's bane.

annoying? they give like, a 2 second delay before charging, and they die if you so much as sneeze at them. plus they are docile from far away and can easily be sniped anyway.

They're annoying after they blow up on you, the completely break your movement for a while + That annoying screen shake .

when doing the no upgrade run they could kill me very very fast, I learned quickly to dispatch them with HR, works great.

Lost Souls are a pain in the butt when they decide to spawn right in the middle of a nasty fight where your attention is already fully occupied with stuff like Pinkies (whom you're busy trying to flank so that you may bring them down asap) - all of a sudden you hear their screech and are frantically trying to figure out where they are and then they explode in your face.

Does come off rather cheap when they do that. Now if you could actually hope to dodge their suicide charge when they catch you off guard like that, they would perhaps be more fun.

In all other circumstances, however, they are quite easy to deal with.

•Explosive Barrels that look like barrels.
•Pinkies that don't have to be shot from behind.
•Arachnatrons
•Hitscanning enemies
•A death scream
•More identifiable alert sounds (No baron trumpet?!)
•A better soundtrack
•HUD option
•Archviles

Having to shoot the pinkies in the butt gets old, yeah. It makes for some interesting challenges, but when you've got two coming at you, you can't just pump 'em full of lead like you would in OG Doom. I think maybe they should have had an armored variant that has a weak spot in the butt, and a normal one that just takes a lot of firepower to bring down.

TraceOfSpades said:

•Explosive Barrels that look like barrels.
•Pinkies that don't have to be shot from behind.
•Hitscanning enemies
•A better soundtrack
•HUD option

I don't know what kind of barrels you've been using, spectre, possessed security, every game lacks a better soundtrack than the one it currently has, there's HUD options.

TraceOfSpades said:

•A death scream

I would expand this to pain grunts in general. It is not like I miss Doomguy umphing a wall and such in itself, but these sounds help greatly to indicate you that you are taking damage. Now it is hard to notice it at all before your health drop below 50, which adds an element of unnecessary difficulty. (Also, there are no red flashes of bloodshot anymore that are graded to amount of damage received, which felt immersive and were also helpful in signaling damage)

GoatLord said:

[...] and a normal one that just takes a lot of firepower to bring down.

That's basically the Spectre and if you're looking for one that's easier to spot, there's the new Hell Knight that basically fills that role.

I don't know what kind of barrels you've been using, spectre, possessed security, every game lacks a better soundtrack than the one it currently has, there's HUD options.

I suppose he misses the classic Doom barrels in the non-snapmap campaign. Agreed. I suspect he wanted squishy weak ranged hitscanners that you can take down with an angry look and you might've forgotten to mention the Hellrazer. I think the new soundtrack works nicely - this ain't Quake. I suspect he wanted a more "classically looking" HUD that he could toggle on - maybe we'll get that in the future, like how we got the classic weapon pose.

Revenants that are a viable threat.

Additional things:
- Imps that aren't overpowered/overused
- Armor that works properly (doesn't just act as a second health bar)
- Proper community/mod support (expanded beastiary and weapons that balance nicely with the originals? HELL YEAH. Valiant feels like a proper Doom 3 if Doom stayed on its original engine.)

While it was a fun standalone experience, it is as I feared/imagined it would likely be. New Doom just doesn't/won't have the lasting appeal of the classics. I did enjoy the aesthetic (particularly of the Hell levels, they stand out to me as being much more fun/visually interesting/Doom-like.)

My biggest issue with New Doom as alluded to is the general weapon/monster balance. I like the idea of the alternate fire/weapon mods, but for just about every weapon, you only ever pick and stay with one (explosive shot for shotgun, stun bomb for plasma, siege mode for gauss cannon, etc.)

I found myself struggling to find the ideal use case for most of the weapons because between the gauss cannon and SSG, it made just about every other weapon redundant/useless unless out of ammo, in which case, just quickly use a chainsaw to fill yourself back up.

In the classics each weapon has a very specific use case. Even the single barrel has perks over the SSG for lack of spread/faster firing rate on single targets.

The best thing I could say about New Doom is that the new mancubus (mancubuses? mancubi?) is amazing. It was cool that it had distinct Hell/tech variants, a feature I'd love to have seen explored further/better in New Doom.

DooM_RO said:

A few textures in Lazarus Labs remind me of the STAR family of textures.

There are several textures/environment models that are more or less directly inspired by STARTAN and its cousins. The earliest are in ResOps - flat yellow plates that are arranged next to each other in a way that makes you think a bit of the STARTAN texture.

I've noticed that Doom 2016 has very few direct translations of classic textures, but it does have several re-interpretations of the classic textures - several walls that makes you think that "huh, this reminds me a little of [TEXTURE NAME]".

dsm said:

There are several textures/environment models that are more or less directly inspired by STARTAN and its cousins. The earliest are in ResOps - flat yellow plates that are arranged next to each other in a way that makes you think a bit of the STARTAN texture.

I've noticed that Doom 2016 has very few direct translations of classic textures, but it does have several re-interpretations of the classic textures - several walls that makes you think that "huh, this reminds me a little of [TEXTURE NAME]".

There are also reinterpretations of TEKWALL textures in ResOps.