Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

[WIP]Aquatex Mapping Experiment (Six Maps Completed!)

Hi everyone!

Spoiler

For all those who wants to know what this thread about, I'll explain. Recently, there has been talks about extending the textures in the Freedoom IWADs, to create more distinct looking maps. But it's unclear whether mappers would actually USE those textures in the maps to such an extent, that the maps look completely diferent from Doom. That's where you come in.

This is a small experiment to see how you, the mappers, combine the textures in Doom 2 with the new ones in Aquatex, and make the the new textures the star of your maps.

So here are your instructions:

-Use your Doom 2 IWAD, MAP01-09 as the base.
-Maps should be in Boom format or vanilla format.
-No multiplayer things required. Primary purpose is singleplayer.
-No size limit. It can be big. It can be small. It can be complex. It can be simple. Your choice.
-Must be able to run in Boom-based ports correctly!
-No skies.
-Maps should have difficulty levels, from I'm Too Young To Die upto Nightmare/Ultra-Violence.
-Yes, you can give custom music. But please post the MID file here or send it to me. Don't merge your map with the music. I'll do that in the final WAD.

That's it! Go nuts!

PLEASE USE THIS PACK ONLY
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6g2kknp6r7k8lf/aquatex_v6_fix.zip?dl=0

(This contains fixes for AQSUPP02, AQSUPP09, AQTRIM06 and AQTRIM07. Thanks to Sodaholic/Blastfrog for the fixes! Now you can use those textures without any problems occurring ingame.)

-Slots-

MAP01-(an_mutt) [WIP]

MAP02-(walter confalonieri) [Done]

MAP03- (bzzrak)

MAP04-(Gothic) [Done]

MAP05-(Angry Saint) [Done]

MAP06-(Mosshopper) [Done

MAP07-(uhbooh)

MAP08-(Dragonfly) [Done]

MAP09-(StormCatcher.77) [Done]

Deadline: 20th of December

sign me for E4M9. If I'll not finish until going to army I post unfinished map for someone who want to collaborate with. Nope...

YukiHerz said:

I get a buttload of errors and missing textures when i use ultimate doom or freedoom 1 as the base...

Of course, that texture pack is for Doom 2.

YukiHerz said:

I get a buttload of errors and missing textures when i use ultimate doom or freedoom 1 as the base...

Eh, i was thinking how that specific texture pack worked on ultimate doom...

Voros said:

-Use your Ultimate Doom IWAD, Episode 4 as the base.

gaspe said:

Of course, that texture pack is for Doom 2.

Confusing.

Claiming E4M1! Mickletextures are cool, so I'm hoping this project brings out a lot of unique takes on whatever set the project settles on.

Had a quick-ish peek, but feel the pack could do with some more outside stuff. There's dirt and grass, which is okay (although the grass is a little over-saturated for my tastes), but there's no real natural rock/stone textures to be found. Closest I can see is AQCON02. It's a bit limited in that regard.

Whoops. Now its MAP01-MAP09.

Can't wait to see how you guys use those textures in your maps!
Slots are still open!

Submission deadline? Concerns about lack of outdoor textures aside, I do quite like some of the others. Toying with some ideas at the moment, but not committing yet.

I thought I already claimed the E4M2 slot before you enforced the DOOM2 IWAD rule.

oh well, might as well claim MAP03

Didn't sign up, but I've been mucking about anyhow. Ran into a headscratcher with AQSUPP09. Looks like this in GZDB:

But like this in-game:

Some of the textures have a wrong width. They should be power-of-two (i.e. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and so on).

Without making edits to the texture set, the only way to avoid glitches is to not use any textures with widths like 24, 48, etc.

Oh crap. I'll see if I can update the texture pack. Keep going guys!

Until then, avoid using the following:

AQSUPP02

AQSUPP09

AQTRIM06

AQTRIM07

Is there something wrong with the ANIMATED lump? The new flats seem to cycle through every flat very fast. I'm testing it in eternity so that might affect it.

Voros said:

This is a small experiment to see how you, the mappers, combine the textures in the IWAD with the new ones, and make the the new textures the star of your maps.

When you say "IWAD" I assume you mean the FreeDoom IWAD? These textures absolutely do not work with the original Doom textures.

I've been messing around with these a bit, they're nice. If I come up with something cool, I'll upload it.

Megalyth said:

When you say "IWAD" I assume you mean the FreeDoom IWAD? These textures absolutely do not work with the original Doom textures.

It should work in Doom 2.

And also to your question: yes and no. I was just saying my reason on why I'm doing this. I clearly said Doom 2, didn't I?

Voros said:

It should work in Doom 2.

The textures function, I meant they don't work visually. Some of them might mesh well, but the styles are very different.

Megalyth said:

The textures function, I meant they don't work visually. Some of them might mesh well, but the styles are very different.

Note that the Doom/Doom II textures already don't work with each other stylistically anyway. Compare stuff such as the crates, the techwall circuits, the Wolfensteiny red bricks, the cement walls...

Megalyth said:

Embrace it (no pun intended). Again, it's an experiment to see how you guys use the stock textures with the texture pack, to see how creative, innovative you can get.

Different styles, and how is that bad? It doesn't have to realistic. Only interesting.

The original textures have the same style in the sense that there's a certain level of detail and grittiness, while the Aquatex textures are cleaner and brighter, and have a completely different look about them. It would be like GSTONE in a Square map, it would clash. This is a bit of a digression though. I was only trying to clarify things. I wasn't sure why we'd be mixing the Aquatex pack with the original textures if they're intended to be combined with the FreeDoom resources.

Anyway, I made a thing. It doesn't really use anything from Doom except the nukage, but it was more an effort to get used to a different texture set. Maybe I can make it into a whole map, but no promises.

That's looking good Megalyth! I get an eerie feeling from it, like its some abandoned facility. Keep going.