• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

How much of a 'Doom Master' are you?

dew said:

...in need of a good spanking?

...or its closest equivalent in Doom. *wink wink nudge nudge*

May not be the greatest player of them all. But im better than Australia and that's a win in my books.

How much, well i'm glad you asked sonny jim, let's have a look shall we?
Doom was Come get Some, Doom 2 was Damn i'm Good, Heretic was Piece of Cake, Hexen was Medieval on thier Asses, Strife was Robots'n'Aliens, Freedoom was Let's Rock and Final Doom was Agitated Skeletons and Bald Men.
In the end, i came, i saw, i kicked ass.
Also i love killing Cacos and Pain Elementals, it's hilarious when they die.
Btw Revenants are my best friends, cuz' i can play Punch Out with them and improve my dodging skills.

What are the points to consider about being a doom master?
playing doom2 in UV? playing brutal doom in UV? kicking asses in deatmach???
make good maps? being a senior member in this page?
WHAT???

You're not a DOOM master until you become John Romero's bitch.

Brah, I read Masters of DOOM like, 10 times! Do you even map?

Santos said:

What are the points to consider about being a doom master?
playing doom2 in UV? playing brutal doom in UV? kicking asses in deatmach???
make good maps? being a senior member in this page?
WHAT???

That. And in fact, "Doom Master" is pretty much the lowest "rank". I think everybody (?) in here is at least at that level by now?

Spoiler

I get told to play on HMP by some people, but I stubbornly stick to UV and savescum through hard encounters.

My Doom skill seems to be inconsistent at best; I seem to do alright with some encounters (I think those that allow me to rush around the place), but with others I struggle quite a bit. I generally consider myself an alright casual player that sometimes does something very good, but nothing special and certainly no speedrunner/Demon of the Well type. I tend to be a persistent "glutton for punishment" type though, and although I rage like mad at the hardest maps (Resurgence map 30, Sunlust map 20....) I strive to beat them on UV anyway!

I'm sure one day there'll be a map that finally makes me play on HMP some of the time. Probably SWTW map 03 or something.

Suitepee said:

I tend to be a persistent "glutton for punishment" type though, and although I rage like mad at the hardest maps (Resurgence map 30, Sunlust map 20....) I strive to beat them on UV anyway!

I'm sure one day there'll be a map that finally makes me play on HMP some of the time. Probably SWTW map 03 or something.

I'm someone who occasionally clicks over to see what kind of hot mess you're getting yourself stuck in, Suite, and I must say, I wouldn't be doing my bit as your Dooming compatriot if I wasn't joining the chorus of people imploring you to step down a notch.

You're not having fun. This is the crux of it. From having watched a few of your streams about some of the less testing mapsets the community has produced, I get the impression that you're wanting to make inroads in dissecting the worth of a mapset from as many critical angles as you can think of, always engaging with your chat and starting dialogues and being genuinely open in deciding what to make of what's in front of you. At the core of the Suitepee experience is a very informative and entertaining stream where time is spent talking about Doom on a level beyond the rawness of more immediate experience, and everything comes up roses. It's a good stream. And yet, as soon as you run into the giant impasse created by the difficulty of a given mapset and your unwillingness to make things easier on yourself, this kind of entertainment evaporates into endless, frankly boring blather about RNG and unimaginative monster selection and all the while screaming into cupped hands. It makes for frustrating viewing precisely because there's a better stream in there somewhere if only this impasse was removed - by you.

For what it's worth, smashing your corpse against a map's revenant count until the hordes give way and the tally screen appears may count towards beating the map, but if that's the metric you're wanting to play by then you're on a hiding to nothing as a player and a mapper. It's bad practice and it doesn't make for good viewing, either.

At the moment, for all the stuttering past save points and tripping over console commands, you are not beating Sunlust or Resurgence or whatever else on UV. Doom is beating you, and what's reaching the finish line is an exasperated husk of a player who has lost sight of all positive experience and possibly picked up an aneurysm for the pain of it.

I hope you take these words to mean something helpful, Suite. I like watching your streams... when you're not ablaze with emotion. The rest of your viewers do, too, I imagine. Drop down to HMP or HNTR (the setting I play on for first-time playthroughs) or make an earnest attempt to get better at Doom so that you can get back to doing what you do best. I recommend the former.

Are you a Doom Master if you play with the classic controls, no mouse look and with higher difficulties? If so, then I'm most definitely not.

All mouse look and modern source ports for me. I also have very little interest in slaughter maps or very difficult wads.

Ijon Tichy said:

I almost killed the cyberdemon once

...WITH YOUR BARE HANDS?! RIP AND TEAR!!!

Alfonzo said:

You're not having fun.

Dont mean to speak for everyone here but that may be part of the charm for the viewers.

My random Doom skill set:

Supply management: C
Dodging: D (I run into projectiles thinking they are runaway pickups sometimes)
Survivability: B-
Berserk usage: S
Overall weapon usage: B
Patience: D
Secret Finding: A
Mapping ability: C-

Overall, I guess I'm also average.

I play every WAD or PWAD only on UV -fast no matter what it is. Also using the classic controls of keyboard only. No mouse or freelook. Playing in ZDoom with fixed blockmap bug, unlimited lost souls and infinite actor height off.

In terms of gameplay, 2 shotting a Cyberdemon with BFG is fairly easy if he's alone, I usually make required 45 strafe jumps and such on the first try and have no trouble moving efficiently on the keyboard.

I consider myself to be on the higher end of the skill scale but by no means some Doom master extraordinaire. Never played any multiplayer or DM too, mainly because of lack of interest in those.

I would grade myself C+. I don't have the knack for speed running, and I should use the berzerk pack more often. I'm fairly good at secret finding and ammo management (previous statement notwithstanding). My projectile dodging is inversely proportional to how tired I am.;) I don't mind slaughter maps but I prefer hard maps with fewer enemies that are well placed because slaughter wads tend to get repetitive. However, I am not a rager; I will walk away and do something else for a while if I begin to get frustrated. I usually play UV, only going lower if I'm finding the game utterly impossible, which is very rare for what I play. One of my weaknesses is that I tend to favor megawads, which limits my exposure to small gems. I play on gZDoom set most often to Boom strict with no freelook (used to use prBoom+ until recently when I got more into Ancient Aliens and Heretic).

Getsu Fune said:

Berserk usage: S

Does that mean Sufficient or Shit? Or simply a proportionally worse mark like A, B, C, D, E, F, etc. ?

idbeholdME said:

I play every WAD or PWAD only on UV -fast no matter what it is. Also using the classic controls of keyboard only. No mouse or freelook.

Are you by any chance keyboard_doomer on the various Duck servers on ZDaemon? ;-)

I'm not a very good speedrunner like many others. Aah, I think my skill is medium quality. I prefer megawads or some slaughter maps on UV. I don't try maps in nightmare, respawn or fast, extremely bad with these categories :(

Alfonzo said:

I like watching your streams... when you're not ablaze with emotion. The rest of your viewers do, too, I imagine.

It goes both ways. Some get a kick out of his outbursts.

I'd tend to agree though, overall enjoyment is important in terms of a pleasant streaming experience, however it is entirely dependent on Suitepee's preference. As already evident, his determination to complete everything in Ultra-violence is strong.

Edit: Seems not to be the case anymore.

Guest Unregistered account

For laughs, I've been trying playing Nightmare a bit more.
It's, uh... a work in progress... I once got up to Command Control...?

Let me tell you, after a few panicked scramblings running away from lightening-fast Nightmare Demons, you'll never have trouble with regular ones ever again.

(Mostly)

After contemplating Alfonzo's post (combined with some of his points being critique I've received in years past as a Dopelives livestreamer and otherwise), I have decided to modify my Doom streaming approach.

First of all, the rest of Sunlust (maps 21-30) is being done on HMP, which I've already found to be much more enjoyable while still containing hard encounters.
Beyond that, I'm going to ATTEMPT to beat wads on UV as per usual, but if I find that I do too much raging/throwing corpses at encounters/savescumming extensively to scrap through things and the fun factor disappears, I will drop down to HMP. I'm still going to strongly attempt to beat even the hardest fights on UV, but if it consistently gets too annoying/not fun then I feel HMP will be the way to go to save massively unwarranted (and not nice to watch) frustration.
I still want to challenge myself, but in the right way for myself (and my viewers) to enjoy.

So basically, this post is a big THANK YOU to Alfonzo for his enlightening post.

Otherwise I still stand that I'm an inconsistent Doom player. I'm good at some encounters, and not others, but am overall a somewhat casual skill-level Doomer.

Yousuf Anik said:

I'm not a very good speedrunner like many others. Aah, I think my skill is medium quality. I prefer megawads or some slaughter maps on UV. I don't try maps in nightmare, respawn or fast, extremely bad with these categories :(

Respawn is generally dumb because it makes an already RNG intense game even more ludicrious. This category would be so much better if every enemy had their own internal static respawn timer.

Snort a line of cocaine or take a pill of some form of amphetamine if you want to try UV-Fast.

'Onya, Suitepee, you've made the right call. I hope you continue to challenge yourself and by all means get stuck into things that you feel are above your skill level. Keeping perspective is important, and you've got that in spades when you're on. I'll be tuning in!