• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

How much of a 'Doom Master' are you?

Jaxxoon R said:

I know the games exist.

And knowing is half the battle.

I used to Tyson Doom 1 UV all the time. These days for the original Doom I play with a patch to drastically reduce the ammo and health. Doom 2 I like to start random maps with the pistol. Final Doom is a nice challenge, and I seem to remember Hell Revealed on UV being just about the perfect difficulty. As well as the maps I made myself to be just barely beatable by me. Those were the days...

Completed every Doom IWAD/add on (NRFTL, Thy Flesh Consumed, Master Levels) on UV and Doom 1 on nightmare as well as the unofficial add on packs on UV (Hell 2 Pay, Perdition's Gate and The lost Episodes of Doom... Not Laura Beyer Doom though because fuck that).

Not much of an acomplishment but whatever.

I play IWADs on UV & PWADs that I'm familiar with.

But starting the new PWAD, I always choose HMP difficulty to see its layout & enemy location & if I feel like replaying it, then I go for UV.

Not into slaughterfest maps. That challenge is not my thing.

So, I'm good at DooM in general but not a pro or a master despite playing it since childhood.

This is all about single player. Never cared about multiplayer.

Maybe average?

I don't typically try to speedrun, but I like to play UV-Fast and Nightmare! somewhat regularly. UV for the most of the iWADS is generally too easy for me at this point (for casual play) although Plutonia is still a good callenge.

I've single segmented all 4 Doom episodes on Nightmare and am working on trying to do a single segment for DOOM II at some point. My runs look like garbage compared to someone like Zero Master though.

in what sense is that average hahaha

im pretty sure most doom players don't learn full nightmare speed routes

yakfak said:

in what sense is that average hahaha

im pretty sure most doom players don't learn full nightmare speed routes

That's very nice of you haha. I don't feel like a good DOOM player though, especially when watching people beat DOOM II on NM in 22 minutes while I get all sweaty trying to beat DOOM episodes slowly.

The average player struggles, but barely survives Ultimate Doom in UV, just to be clear - If you're playing nightmare and getting past map03 that goalpost is pretty far behind you.

I still am eager to see how some of the top speedrunners do in deathmatch or duel. Every now and then I try speedrunning but other than maps that have easily abused routes, the instant I run into a high tier enemy in a smallish space, I'm fucked. Some people are insanely good at manipulating enemy AI.

yeah im beginning to think the 'skills' or whatever you want to call them, are markedly different playing against a small amount of humans in a map, versus 'dumb' AI in the hundreds. i too wish there was more cross-over so we can get both sides of the story.

Doomkid said:

The average player struggles, but barely survives Ultimate Doom in UV, just to be clear - If you're playing nightmare and getting past map03 that goalpost is pretty far behind you.

I still am eager to see how some of the top speedrunners do in deathmatch or duel. Every now and then I try speedrunning but other than maps that have easily abused routes, the instant I run into a high tier enemy in a smallish space, I'm fucked. Some people are insanely good at manipulating enemy AI.

Honestly, Ultimate Doom isn't that hard in UV. The trickiest episode (4) is pretty easy once you get the plasma rifle in E4M2. Episodes 1-3 aren't too challenging, you just need to be very careful in Episode 1 because of how many hitscanners there are.

The skill jump from UV to Nightmare is just ridiculous though.

Also, Doom E4 gets considerably easier if you do the Red Key grab on E4M1 and the BFG grab in E4M2.

In terms of NM difficulty, E4 is definitely the hardest though followed by E1. E2 and E3 are relatively easy on NM. Once you get a few tricks down, E1 isn't even too bad. The tricky spots (E1M3, E1M5, end of E1M6 and E1M7) all have little strats that you can use to get past them relatively consistently (as consistently as you can get in the chaos that is NM).

Maybe I'll make a more casual NM guide for Ultimate Doom at some point. I don't know of any that exists.

I beat Perfect Hatred on UV once... I guess that's pretty impressive. But, I rarely play on UV. I like to think I'm decent at Doom, but not some kind of Ubergod.

Uhh

What's your definition of good exactly?
On a scale from "Can complete Doom II without dying" to "Has beat Holy Hell with a pistol just". I'm not saying I've done either, but I could probably do the first on UV. MAYBE.