Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

How much of a 'Doom Master' are you?

Pretty good, in fact, I'm a goddess of Dooming on UV.

_____

I'm actually pretty normal I guess? play only on UV, sometimes switch back to HMP. I rarely play on Nightmare because I tend to find it unfair.

I'm not sure how your reading of my post gave you that impression. Suite can do as he likes; I'm not trying to bust my way into his psyche or show him the One True Way, and I would think it frankly belittling to suggest that he's not able to decide for himself how to experience the game. My plea is just one of many voices advocating the benefits of playing without such an extreme level of stress that is patently pointless, and concerning, and being able to talk about the game as he likes for his sake, if not for the sake of the viewers.

This is not me telling Suite how he should play the game or how he should find enjoyment out of it - he's made it clear in less trying circumstances what he gets out of playing Doom and why he streams to his audience. I can relate to what he looks for and I trust that he can decide what to do with an honest opinion in light of this fact.

Dave The Daring said:

If your aim was to shame John into dropping down to HMP, then mission accomplished. I hope you're happy.

I'm not entirely sure if you're being facetious or not (parsing sarcasm through text can be difficult), but I just wanted to clarify that Alfonzo totally did the right thing with his post. Besides Suitepee enjoying Sunlust more, he learned that 1) HMP & HNTR only change monster/munition placement and quantity, not AI or damage, 2) therefore HMP can still put up a mean challenge, and 3) He can continue to play other megawads on UV and all will be well. Like I said in the chat, he could totally beat Sunlust on UV--most people can with enough saves--it's just that he would walk away from it being soured on the whole experience, like with Resurgence. Of course there's still a chance of that happening here, but at least he's probably looking forward to playing the last 3 maps instead of dreading it.

I managed to play through Plutonia 2 on ITYTD with constant saves in each level, so I guess you could say I am an expert player.

Suitepee said:

My Doom skill seems to be inconsistent at best; I seem to do alright with some encounters (I think those that allow me to rush around the place), but with others I struggle quite a bit.

that describes my feeble doom skills very well. the game is often like a problem with a surprisingly simple solution - once you know it. so i tend to get my butt kicked when playing a map for the first time, mostly because i simply don't know where to go, run into a dead end or try too hard to stir infighting instead of just shooting them. then i know the map and breeze through and wonder what was so hard about it. hence i like players like dotw who just do the right thing from the start, without much artistic bullfighting. i play doom since it came out (well, rather casually at the time) but i guess i still tend to rush things, which leads to the dark side, blah.

Dave The Daring said:

If your aim was to shame John into dropping down to HMP, then mission accomplished. I hope you're happy.

There's no shame in playing a lower difficulty. More so if it's necessary to have fun in the first place. I hated Ancient Aliens when I first played it because of its difficulty, and playing on UV I probably still would. On HNTR, I love it.

Eris Falling said:

There's no shame in playing a lower difficulty. More so if it's necessary to have fun in the first place. I hated Ancient Aliens when I first played it because of its difficulty, and playing on UV I probably still would. On HNTR, I love it.

I totally agree with you. When I first played Doom 2, I played it in ITYTD difficulty and that time this easy difficulty was hard to me, seriously that was one of my great experience :D I go to lower difficulty when I feel the map is too hard for me.

dobu gabu maru said:

I'm not entirely sure if you're being facetious or not (parsing sarcasm through text can be difficult)

I was being facetious.

Alfonzo said:

I'm not sure how your reading of my post gave you that impression.

It didn't. Unfortunately, trying to post sarcastic messages at 4:30 in the morning after a few too many vodka Martinis doesn't seem to have the desired effect, but then they do say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

But seriously, I've always enjoyed John's streams, and if this makes him a happier streamer then I'm all for it.

4shockblast said:

I'm so bad at this game I have to resort to nomonsters. (:

That's like -12.0 on the 10.0 scale of Badness.

I like to play harder maps preferably without getting hit. I guess I want to compare my doom style to Okuplok for now.

Still need to get faster like 4shock and crew however. But I am still kind of inexperienced so that will come with time.

j4rio said:

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Heh... Actually no because i have 'Doom 2 D2ALL' in GZDoom demo on DSDA.

Not as much of a master as quite a few people here on this forum, but there are some truely amazing players that reside here. Play on uv for everything usually, sometimes I mess around on nightmare on Doom 1+2. I would like to see someone beat plutonia on nm.

MrGlide said:

Not as much of a master as quite a few people here on this forum, but there are some truely amazing players that reside here. Play on uv for everything usually, sometimes I mess around on nightmare on Doom 1+2. I would like to see someone beat plutonia on nm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBUYWIZUpE

I sometimes think people like this guy are playing a different game to me, simply because they do things on Nightmare that I can't do in normal play!

riderr3 said:

I mostly hate Icon of Sin maps.

And nightmare is kind of joke difficulty.

IoS maps are kinda boring. And....yeah, playing maps in nightmare is like a.....NIGHTMARE!

update on my Doom masterhood: I got so mad trying to beat Map 04 of Sunlust without saves that I swore at an IMP

DoomGater said:

I played Doom, Doom2, TNT, Plutonia & the Master Levels on UV.
Does this make me a Doom Master?

Yeah. Have you ever played Doom 3 on Veteran/Nightmare?

Eh, I kinda suck for one as old as me - never ever beaten Doom on Nightmare (I got close to beating E1 at some point, but quit because I wasn't having fun and I detest doing stuff I don't like for a stupid pissing contest) and I tend to play megawads on Hurt Me Plenty before I try to beat them on UV.

There was a time back in the 90s where I thought I was "pretty good" at singleplayer Doom, but considering I was playing it with only a keyboard and not using the mouse, I'm thinking my maneuvers and aim wouldn't have been as impressive as they could have been had I been a practiced mouse-player.

I did beat Doom 3 on Nightmare, because the idea of a skill setting where your health is low enough that a couple of bullets could kill you appealed to me for some ungodly reason. Used to try and avoid using the Soul Cube whenever I could.

Still haven't worked up the nerve to play Doom 2016 on Nightmare, because I still find UV a challenge to play well.