Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Any maps where you are underwater for most of it?

Someone I know was trying to make an underwater sector and I just had the idea that one could make an entire level, possibly flooded, underwater. Not sure if it has been done before.

Well, dark7 map 3 I think has a decent amount of underwater. LEGIT underwater, not just a water textured ceiling.

I personally wish there was more underwater stuff too.

most of Object 34: Sonar is in an underwater base, but Lainos dances around the issue using a couple cheats (mainly thinking of the scrolling midtexture with the fish) until the finale, which occurs at the bottom of the ocean.

Eris Falling said:

Restoring Deimos MAP14 had quite vast underwater parts, iirc.

Just tried that wad and it's absolutely superb, you slowly get the more powerful monsters after a couple of levels and it's easy to figure out where to go next. Can you recommend anything similar?

First thing that springs to mind is Shogun Trogun (need to run both wads), but I'm not sure how many parallels can really be drawn between the two other than that they're both ZDoom megawads. Trogun is pretty wacky, and MAP19 has some underwater stuff, but as whole the WAD doesn't seem to work properly with ZDoom, at least not anymore. Should work with ZDaemon though.

invictius said:

Someone I know was trying to make an underwater sector and I just had the idea that one could make an entire level, possibly flooded, underwater. Not sure if it has been done before.

mumblemumble said:

I personally wish there was more underwater stuff too.

The main problem with water is you can only really use flying monsters in it (or custom monsters that are aquatic in nature) due to the 3D environment, anything else doesn't make sense. (even in my underwater maps with new monsters in, I'm limited to a very small beastiary)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The main problem with water is you can only really use flying monsters in it (or custom monsters that are aquatic in nature), anything else doesn't really make sense. (even in my underwater maps with new monsters in, I'm limited to a very small beastiary)

Try My map, See if it works (It does) UDMF Format .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Try My map, See if it works (It does) UDMF Format .

It does to some extent...caged monsters seem ok (as they don't get a chance to look stupid by refusing to swim up), although the chaingunners aren't like that. I like how you have to think about coming up for air (instead of just dropping rad suits everywhere) but some of the shafts are a bit too high IMO.

One thing I would do though is change how the water is coloured - I know Dark 7 and some other early ZDoom wads (including my own 007LTSD/Sonic) use coloured light for it, but I eventually worked out that using fog was better. (in fact I used both in those two wads but went with just fog for Serpent)

Try using Sector_SetFade on the control sectors instead, see how it looks - if it's too cloudy, turn the fog down a bit. (and if you're already using fog in the same sector for the surface part, make sure you use different values for the water)