Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chickensoup101

No Doom 2016 soundtrack in Classic Bobby Prince midi music style?

Sometimes i'm pretty disappointed in the internet, that no one makes a classic Bobby Prince midi music style remix of RIP and TEAR, BFG division and FLESH and Metal. I always wondering what those three soundtracks sound like in the style of Bobby Prince.

There really aren't any musicians here who make Bobby Prince sound-alike music afaik. Mr. Freeze made a musical score for DTWiD that was supposed to sound like his stuff which sounded pretty good imo but I'm not sure everyone agreed. Gifty had a community music project that was supposed to extend those unfinished bobby prince midis and other stuff too, but I'm not sure it really took off. Primeval makes some pretty good 12 bar blues progression hard rock midis too, but I dont know what hes up to these days.

There's some great midi musicians here on this forum but what music sounds good in Doom is a pretty huge spectrum. That said, I dont really consider most custom Doom music composed by members in the doom community would fit neatly in the Doom 1 or 2 IWADs. It just doesn't have that Bobby Prince ring to it.

GuyMcBrofist said:

I could have sworn I saw a MIDI version of BFG Division somewhere around here, but I can't find it.

EDIT: Found it. https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1639524

that's not really Bobby Prince styled at all, though. it's probably possibly to Prince-ify the music of Doom 4 for MIDI, but that'd take some serious effort to re-arrange everything in that kind of style.

I wonder how Viscra'd go about implementing the Waltz of the Demons section, hahaha.

tangentially related question, but I always asked myself, how come they didn't implement a static soundtrack toggle option so that we end up with just the music blaring throughout the whole level in one loop just like Classic Doom.

GoatLord said:

My goodness, do we really want to hear 12 bar blues arrangements of djent?

Now that you said it? Yes. Yes, we need it.

GoatLord said:

My goodness, do we really want to hear 12 bar blues arrangements of djent?

hey, Jimmy managed to Prince-ify Fire Hive pretty well, and that's a dubstep song.

Mick Gordon did a great job for the music of Doom 2016, it's suits the mayhem in the game. However, it can be a bit overwhelming at times so I just have it turned off and have my own music on.

TAPETRVE said:

The original DOOM was all thrash and heavy metal.

On a related note, Tchaikovsky is my favorite metal artist.

Jaxxoon R said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFbTFWnWlOk
On a related note, Tchaikovsky is my favorite metal artist.

Good remark, the relation between Doom and distorted guitar riffs has been such that some forget that Doom has more variety in music than that, and only 9 songs that I can count of the original Doom ost can be considered heavy or metal.

Doom II has more heavy sounded tracks I think, and even that game has also more than one kind of track.

Sometimes I think that back then in the 1990s, people played Doom without sound while blasting Cradle of Filth on their walkmans, and that's how they formed their opinion about the nature of Doom's soundtrack.

How am I salty? I'm just explaining why I did what I did. That's like if I asked you why you're so sad. It's like, what? Friendbuddypal, what are you talking about?

Jaxxoon R said:

How am I salty? I'm just explaining why I did what I did. That's like if I asked you why you're so sad. It's like, what? Friendbuddypal, what are you talking about?

lol I'm just messing with ya, of course you weren't being salty XD