Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koros

The best Doom 1 maps

There are tons of Doom II maps that are really good, but I am wanting to know what maps or megawads do you think really stand out for the original Doom? I'm looking for what you guys think are the best for Doom 1 maps.

If you actually want megawads, there are very few, but there are plenty of good episodes. No Sleep for the Dead, Thy Flesh Turned Into a Draft Excluder, Mapgame, Death Tormention 3, Dark Side of Deimos, and Double Impact are the ones that stand out most to me.

There's also Lutz's Phobos: Anomaly Reborn and Inferno remake episodes, and Doom the Way id Did.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to track all of them. I will be eventually trying each of them out. Thanks again for your suggestions. Feel free to add more if you can think of any more.

Invasion 1.9.
A '97 megawad, comprises 36 space-themed levels. I've played only until E2M3, but I liked what I saw. There is also a sequel IIRC, but I haven't checked out that one.

Fava Beans The 1995 classic. Very easy but engaging play with superb architecture in the classic style.

Doomsday of UAC The legendary 1994 map with the first -- and IMO still the greatest -- invisible staircase in Doom history.

Dawn of the Dead Jan van der Veken's 1997 classic, the prequel to this year's great sequel No Sleep For The Dead. The only downside is that he didn't do an E1M5. Tougher gameplay in this one.

Voros said:

You should also try No Rest For The Living.

Ya sorry Voros. I already knew of that one, and I am only looking for Doom 1 maps / megawads.

Thank you all for your insightful replies. My doom 1 map folder grows!

Salt-Man Z said:

That's a Doom II episode.

Or was it called No Sleep For The Dead?
I see that was already mentioned.
Sorry about that, got confused for a second there.

How could we forget Romero's e1m4b and e1m8b?

joe-ilya said:

ah that was from the thread where cannonball showed how his mapping has changed since concerned?

looked good and i was waiting for the result, so thanks

Marcaek said:

how could i forget Crusades

and i always liked richard wiles' maps. very atmospheric. didn't quite agree with his barons, see the ironman thread, but the rest ;)

Guest Unregistered account

A2.WAD

And that's not even the best of them.

Kapanyo said:

A2.WAD

And that's not even the best of them.

Dude, I was asking for the best maps. Not a troll map on some shitty D!Zone Cd. Not cool.

Visions of Eternity is quite good if you don't mind something easy or with a less demanding challenge, the other wads mentioned here probably offer a more interesting gameplay than this wad.

It turns out that I'm not done with recommendations. ;)

CH Retro Episode Long before his excellent Monument episode, Chris Hansen created this superb E1 mapset.

Dinner An oldie from 1995, E2 replacement. Not the prettiest mapset, but some good architecture later and plenty of hard-nosed combat.

Thanks for starting this thread, since there's a lot of Doom 1 stuff here I need to download and play.

SteveD said:

Thanks for starting this thread, since there's a lot of Doom 1 stuff here I need to download and play.

No, thank all of you for your recommendations. My doom 1 maps folder was at like 55. I'm now at 91 and still going.