Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2016 (v2 is on /idgames)

walter confalonieri said:

1) Maybe these?
http://bungakuseinen.com/original-midi
http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/MIDI/
http://www.lynnemusic.com/midi.html

2) Test it on chocorenderlimits, for first instance.

3) You can't do that in this project you will turn it on a boom-compatible map or above....

Ah ok thanks, I appreciate that

Edit: sorry for double post. Tried to delete but can't...

Anytime!

Oh, and i played the lil' devil map, is a cool romp wad and a good effort for a first map... because this is your first map, right?

Played Rage 2 too, is a nice map, maybe too harsh for me, add few more health and it will be ok for me...

WindbagJacket - Thanks for playing. My intention was to make ammo scarce and make it barely finishable, though did you think the ammo was unplayably scarce or really on the edge and finishable? Maybe i'll throw in a few shells.

And thanks for feedback walter, i'll let a few friends test it and get their feedback, if too many people find it too hard i'll look into it, hard is good though, i intended to do a small and hard map, not the kind of big adventure map. Btw did you try different skill levels, i think it may solve the issue since i have weaker monsters on HMP and even weaker and few on easy modes.

WindbackJacket realy cool , long and fun Map :) i like the part after you grab the red key and get raised to this battlefield with the archvile !

Windbagjacket - Played UV with ZDoom. Wow. LOTS of fighting. Also lots of 'Gotchas'; switches/teleports/doors that don't do what you expect them to do. Usually it adds a new fight when you're already in the middle of a fight. I'm not a good judge of gameplay; I save a lot because I die a lot and I can't play a large map all the way through in one sitting. I'm glad it wasn't longer. It was starting to feel like "Oh geez, another huge fight". I suppose if this were a later map, say between 22 and 29, it would be an appropriate level of combats. Well designed, though. Some cool effects.

Issues:
A closet of Revenants and Imps never teleported in because the linedefs tagged 52 have no action.

Closet with linedef tags 65 - two Demons are tagged deaf. They never teleported in.

Last room, the space between linedef tag 62 and the Box of Shells - you can fall in and be stuck because of the metal supports on the corners of the Arachno platform.

Closets with linedef tags 61 and 63 - maybe move the teleport linedefs to the west end of the closets. I kept hearing an Imp. He didn't teleport in until long after the room was cleared and I was grabbing Healing and Ammo. Intentional?

Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't realize the exit was the exit. I thought it was a closet monsters had come out of. Maybe more clearly marked?

You have a lot of linedefs tagged impassable with no obvious barrier that makes them impassable - outdoor area with the SSG; bridge to the west of that area; hall past the Red Key door. Personal pet peeve. Always annoys me.

A solid map. Well done.

marxr said:

Updatd https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzz0wtzsc904ezv/Rage2.wad?dl=0

Retextured some rooms and improved gameplay

The blue key platform has a zero-tagged WR lift action over it, which affects every sector in the map with a zero tag, with results you can imagine. Blind drop into hitscanners isn't so great -- there is a window of a couple seconds where the active monsters can shoot at you before you can retaliate.

Early combat would be way more kinetic if the chaingun were the main weapon. A few too many monsters are on crates for no particular reason. One important asset of the SG and SSG is that their pellets can affect multiple monsters at once, so gameplay full of monsters isolated on elevated surfaces is a mismatch. A bit too much meat early for the single shotgun, too. I get what you are going for with the baron room, but there is easily enough ammo to kill the baron and archie without having to rush for the SSG with one or both still alive. Green armor secret appears much too late for it to be of use as well.

lil'devil said:

Well, here's an alpha version of my map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvkko1vf2dejruw/lildevil.wad?dl=0

At the current state it's quite unpolished. The main issue is the balance, i just can't get it right, it's either too easy or too hard, depending on RNG monster damage.
Don't be afraid of saving a lot, as beating this map in one go (especially on UV) is quite hard, even if you know the monster placement. And the ammo can be quite scarce, so watch for it.

Technical stuff:

Game: Doom 2, obviously.
Level name: Lil'Devil's Map (working title, will probably be changed)
Author: me
Compatibility: Vanilla
Tested on: Chocolate Doom 2.2.1
Building time: 10 days (since September, 23)
Custom music: Yes. I used some track from Blood.
Difficulty settings: Yes.
Bugs: Haven't found any.
Visplane overflows: Not included in this release.
Anyway, feel free to critisize my map. Tell me if there's anything wrong and i'll probably fix it.

I think this map need more details like pillars or evil eyes, may be carvings in walls. Also texture in outside area does not match.

lil'devil said:

At the current state it's quite unpolished. The main issue is the balance, i just can't get it right, it's either too easy or too hard, depending on RNG monster damage.
Don't be afraid of saving a lot, as beating this map in one go (especially on UV) is quite hard, even if you know the monster placement. And the ammo can be quite scarce, so watch for it.

Anyway, feel free to critisize my map. Tell me if there's anything wrong and i'll probably fix it.

You might be testing only an aggressive approach. It's far from a hard map to complete (on UV), because it's so easy to camp every encounter except for the first group of monsters at the start and the blue key set piece (which was my favorite encounter in the map). Only requires some discipline. Ammo isn't so tight either; you can often use infighting, especially if you know where the monsters are.

I'd recommend removing a lot of monsters that are directly placed (the high-HP ones in particular), and introducing them via closet and teleporter traps when the player is already in a room. In the room before the red key room, it's unnecessarily risky to stay and fight, with only a shotgun and chaingun against those monsters. The chaingunners are fine as is, but the PE and revenants would be better sent in via a teleporter after the red key pickup -- when the player can't simply camp them in the tunnel. The pain elemental in the area containing the red key and blue key switches is another monster that really encourages the player to camp, especially with hitscanners firing from the other side. It would be a good monster to teleport in when the player approaches the red key door.

Also the map would play more smoothly and much more interestingly if you hand out the rocket launcher or plasma rifle with a small amount of ammo for it. Just enough to incentivize the player to play more aggressively. Also, the imps in the cave that come out of the walls feel cheap, because there is no time for reaction, given how cramped it is.

Bugs: In the secret area, the floor on which the shotgun shells are rested is flagged secret unnecessarily and inaccessible. There are two sergeants flagged hard near the door of the second building, stuck.

Well, it seems what's hard for me isn't so hard for everyone else..
I took note of your post, rdwpa, and in the next version i'll try to fix monster placement, as well as improve the map design so that it will look less minimalistic.
I still don't know how to name the map properly though, because frankly it's just a chaotic mess and i don't know how to describe it..

rdwpa said:

Also, the imps in the cave that come out of the walls feel cheap, because there is no time for reaction, given how cramped it is.

They weren't meant to fell cheap, they were meant to jumpscare you! :)

Should the custom map submitted be in the MAP01 slot in the wad? Mine is currently MAP19 for, uh, reasons.

I think it's more convenient for the person who later compiles the wad, maybe it dosen't matter but if it's for music, download the map19 music, rename the file D_RUNNIN, open your map with slade (when it's map01) and put the d_runnin file in there with your map files, save.

rdwpa - neat demo on my map, I was actually able to watch it without feeling too sick, so I did :)

WindbagJacket - I got stuck in your map in sector 474 because the barons wasted the W1 teleport lines of sector 472. In zdoom, monsters can walk over a W1 teleport line multiple times without the line being activated if there is something blocking the teleport destination (like another monster). In vanilla, walk-over-once means walk-over-once. There are also hanging blocking decorations in the final room that block the player from below because of infinitely tall actors.

Have you tried watching demos with a slight amount of turn smoothing and in windowed mode at a lower res (640x480 or 800x600 -- whatever fills up only half of your screen)? Trying a framerate cap (or no framerate cap, if you use one as a default) might help too.

I personally get uncomfortable watching jittery demos on YouTube full-screen for example, but with a bit of smoothing (a factor of around 2) in a smaller window, they end up fine.

Skindustrial District (Final. For real doe. Seriously.)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Aside from working on a super secret 3-map project, this is one of the first completed maps I've made. Anyways:

Level name : Skindustrial District
Author(s) : Spectre01 (rileymartin)
Misc. Author Info : Doesn't actually play in PRBoom+ or engage in demo recording.
Build time : Over a week
Editor(s) used : GZDoom Builder
Compatibility: Boom
Music track : Map 16 in Bloodstain. Says Hell Revealed 2 as the source.
Playtesting : Yes, tested with GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4, GZDoom 2.3, Zandronum 3.0, ZDoom 2.8.1, QZDoom 1.0
Difficulty settings : Yes
Bugs : Within the realm of possibility.
Inspiration : Sunder maps 07 and 08, Valiant map21, Sunlust map30
Author's comments : Flesh and metal themed abstract city map, designed to be played from a Pistol Start. Gameplay begins small and claustrophobic and gradually moves into a slaughter-ish direction. And by slaughter-ish I mean the last fight has over 1k enemies. Straightforward, linear design with some minor platforming. Hopefully somewhat challenging for "good at Doom" individuals. The final wave is more amusing without infinite height. HMP should still provide a good challenge without causing an existential crisis.

If someone can demo this I'll be thoroughly impressed.

Edit: Uploaded a new version where the last fight sucks less.
Edit2: Uploaded an RC3 which adds more/better detailing and tones down HMP difficulty.
Edit3: Uploaded an RC4 that fixes a gamebreaking bug of two stacked Revenants blocking the rest of the Revenant closet. \o/ Added a Final Boss at the top of the pyramid. Replaced two Sergeants with two Imps on HMP. Increased performance by not having 2k monsters wake up after firing your first shot. Reduced performance due to additional sector spam and pointless detailing.
Edit4: Uploaded an RC5 with some misc. fixes and detail polishing. Rebalanced the big fightâ„¢ by removing some enemies and adding more health and ammo.
Edit5: Uploaded a "Final" release with misc changes and bug fixes.
FINAL EDIT: Uploaded a final final version with a few door changes and teleport lines.

rileymartin said:

Skindustrial District

The texturing is impressive. The map name is pretty cool, too. I'll probably play it sometime soon, although i'm not really a fan of slaughter(-ish) maps.

rdwpa, I do use the default smooth factor 6 but haven't tried all those other tricks. I was totally fine watching demos until a few years ago, which also turned out to be when my eyesight started deteriorating, maybe they're related.

rileymartin said:

If this map was playtested I'll be thoroughly impressed. :P

rileymartin said:

Skindustrial District RC3

Screenshots:

Aside from working on a super secret 3-map project, this is one of the first completed maps I've made. Anyways:

Level name : Skindustrial District
Author(s) : rileymartin
Build time : Over a week
Editor(s) used : GZDoom Builder
Compatibility: Boom
Music track : Map 16 in Bloodstain. Says Hell Revealed 2 as the source.
Playtesting : Yes, tested with GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4, GZDoom 2.3, Zandronum 3.0, ZDoom 2.8.1
Difficulty settings : HMP implemented but not tested.
Bugs : Maybe. Final area drops to 20-30 FPS in ZDoom-based ports due to the high monster count/density.
Inspiration : Sunder maps 07, 08
Author's comments : Flesh and metal themed abstract city map. Gameplay begins small and claustrophobic and gradually moves into a slaughter-ish direction. Straightforward, linear design with some minor platforming. Hopefully somewhat challenging for "good at Doom" individuals. The final wave is more amusing without infinite height.

Edit: Uploaded a new version where the last fight sucks less.
Edit2: Uploaded an RC3 which adds more/better detailing and tones down HMP difficulty.

Cool visuals, the start of this map is a bitch ^

Paul977 said:

Cool visuals, the start of this map is a bitch ^

Thanks! Yep, the intro fight is very difficult given the limited, uh, everything, and is meant to set up the atmosphere for the map. I removed the hitscanners for HMP at least.

Here's an updated version of my map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/axvuhoqt5r1lodr/lildevil2.wad?dl=0
(the map is still Vanilla, and the total building time is now 21 days, if that's important).

Here's a sort of changelog:

1) The map is now more difficult: the amount of monsters increased, concentration of sergeants and chaingunners is now higher, more traps were added.
2) I also expanded the map a bit, added more locations, as well as more secrets.
3) SSG introduced to the map, but it's very well hidden. (Un)fortunately, once you find it, the rest of the map will be much easier, so it can be a game breaker. Berserk pack is also a secret-only weapon now.
4) Fixed minor bugs from previous version, removed useless monsters, changed keycard/switch puzzles a little bit. One 'bug' remained: you still can't get 100% kills in this map (if you make it to the end you'll see why:) ).

There's one drawback though: in this version all skill levels are the same. I just didn't bother balancing them all, too difficult and boring for me. Maybe i will release another update to the map in future, with skill levels implement and stuff, but unfortunately, this is unlikely, because i'm afraid soon i will be removed from the Internet (real life stuff really gets in the way), so this maybe is the last version.

Also it would be cool if someone recorded a FDA or something, i just want to see how others play it. :)

Got stuck in the YK area. Unwittingly crossing the trigger to reopen the door while the door is still closing makes leaving impossible. In general you should rarely use once-only actions for opening barriers that are closed by walkover triggers, because there are always ways to get stuck (e.g. linedef-skipping the original closing action, among a whole variety of mapper oversights). SSG is not well hidden. The entrance shows up as a two-sided line on the automap. You have to give those linedefs a "secret" flag.