Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2016 (v2 is on /idgames)

rdwpa said:

Here are two demos...

I knew that is wrong! A trigger on the key does not work if the player picks it up at a time when enemies spawn has not yet been completed. I merged the activation of the trap and disable the barrier in one trigger to fix it.

Link updated. Thank you for demos! But... they are no longer compatible with the updated version.

Level name: Harverster's Reminiscence (Beta release)
Author: antares031
Build time: Started from November 30. on and off
Programs used: Doom Builder 2
Compatibility: Boom
Music track: Skeleton's Waltz by Eris Falling
Playtesting: ZDoom 2.8.1 "Boom (Strict) w/ infinite tall actors"
Skill settings: Not yet
Bugs: Slime trails around the scenery
Inspiration: Skeleton's Waltz by Eris Falling, Fomalhaut by Mechadon and Sky Pillar by antares031 from THT:Threnody
Author's comments: A level for DMP2016. It's also the biggest level I've designed so far. I was thinking about the better setup before the exit, but I was in a hurry to catch the deadline. At any rate, I hope you enjoy this one. P.S.: This one still in beta state, and the difficulty setting is not implemented yet. It will be done in the final release.

Download Here

rdwpa said:

I liked this map but the red key vile can attack you as the barrier around you is coming down and you are still fixed in place, making damage completely unavoidable. I narrowly escaped it here because the vile started attacking late. Luckily it's easy to get there with 100/200 H/A, but it will leave a bad impression anyway.

Thanks for playing rdwpa. That's the first time I've seen a playthrough of something I've made (although we must have a prboom version mismatch - you die in the version I watched). It gives me so much to think about - really valuable to see.

All I can do in time for the deadline though is tweak the vile at the RK so he gets released a bit later. Updated link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2r2bbrkdbzlqxc/bcsh_v1_5.wad?dl=0

antares031 said:

Finished in 49:40. Died once, and it was actually to the two arch-viles BEFORE that last area.
I loved this, just the right amount of challenge in both the <3 Incidental Combat <3 and the <3 Setpieces <3, health felt a bit tight early on, but there was loads later on, ammo balance seems fine too. Curious to see how the difficulty settings pan out, as I don't think there's any way it's hard enough to be equivalent to UV - I thought maps without difficulty settings were effectively UV only, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Not sure how difficult you intended this to be, but it felt like somewhere between HNTR and HMP for me.

I lost count of the times I was expecting a nasty ambush, but nothing happened (I consider this a good thing, I don't want to have to fight a load of revenants and archviles every time I pick up an armour bonus or something). Too lazy to look in the editor, but it felt like you had the non-linearity worked out so the same ambush could appear in different places, I recall a few of the same item in the early stages (like rocket launchers) that only one had an ambush tied to it. Not sure if that's what's actually going on, but I like it regardless.

Final fight is fucking nuts, it's actually comical how the first two switches you press cause a light to moderate reinforcement of demons to spawn, and then the third one is just like hitting a big red button that says "please don't press this!" The godsphere there was much appreciated, and the BFG was a huge help, very fun stuff. Speaking of BFG, liked how you can telefrag the cyber guarding it if you find the secret to open that teleporter.

Map is visually beautiful from start to finish, and the influence from Fomalhaut in particular felt quite obvious to me - struck me as a bit of a medieval kind of take on that map. Was actually expecting the music to get a bit annoying after a few loops or so, but it didn't, though maybe I'm immune to that as the composer since I've heard it a million times already while making it..

Anyway, same as with your Threnody maps, fantastic work, thanks for this!
And finally it's one of my MIDIs being re-used that isn't fucking ancient :P

Eris Falling said:

Map is visually beautiful from start to finish

Agreed, really beautiful effort. Loved the overall interconnectivity and all the corners and branches to explore. Difficulty wise this map felt very forgiving, there's plenty of health scattered around & encounters were mostly not that harsh. Perhaps want to consider removing some for UV. Final fight was pretty messy but fun especially if you activate all switches at once.

Spotted one imp stuck inside the floor in the 2nd outdoor area, you can only see the top of his head in this screenshot.

WindbagJacket said:

Thanks for playing rdwpa. That's the first time I've seen a playthrough of something I've made (although we must have a prboom version mismatch - you die in the version I watched). It gives me so much to think about - really valuable to see.

I think you can redownload the wad through your link of v1.4 if you want to watch the whole thing; prBoom+ versions don't break sync but if you make even a tiny change to the wad on your HD it can break.

I made an update to my map. I changed the name of the level, and for the actual map the floating bottles were fixed and I added few more ammo.

Level name: Axerikos
Author: gaspe
Build time: 3 weeks
Programs used: Doom Builder 2, Slade 3
Compatibility: limit removing
Music track: E2M4 of HEROES.WAD
Playtesting: yes on PRBoom+ cl2
Skill settings: yes, somehow
Bugs: none
Author's comments: A rather big level inspired mostly by Nicolas Monti's Eviltech, and it's also an attempt to make a map with some 90's quirks and a surreal mood.

Eris Falling said:

...Not sure how difficult you intended this to be, but it felt like somewhere between HNTR and HMP for me.

Thanks for the review. :) The difficulty of current version is actually designed for UV gameplay, and I'm going to cut some monsters for lower difficulties. I don't have a plan to make my level harder than current version, to be honest. Since the amount of monsters of this level already exceeds 900.

Because I don't like the ammo and health starvation, I tend to place a plenty of health packs and ammo boxes around the level. That being said, I like to sprinkle small ammo items around the big arena to motivate the player to move around the battleground.

I was actually thinking about another complex area for the final fight. But I picked this alternative option to make it before the deadline. And I guess this one is not that bad, although I don't like this kind of slaughterfest. Still, I think it was interesting to throw lots of tough monsters, including boss monsters, and then give some help to the player with godsphere and a BFG with full ammo from out of nowhere.

tourniquet said:

Spotted one imp stuck inside the floor in the 2nd outdoor area, you can only see the top of his head in this screenshot.

Thanks for the bug report! Couldn't find that one during the playthrough with ZDoom for some reason. I've just rearranged that one to solve the problem.

antares031 said:

I gave this a playthrough since I knew you worked your ass off on it, and had a lot of fun! As tourniquet said the player is practically swimming in health goodies, but I appreciated them since it allows you to play pretty recklessly and rush into areas. Architecture is fabulous and always nice to look at—as I said in the screenshot thread, your outdoor work is awe-inspiring. Since we're really close to 2017 the only thing I'd suggest is that you give the player a green armor at the start (you have one on a pillar but couldn't figure out how to get it). I'd also suggest throwing down 10 more rockets for the big blue key fight that happens at the top of the map, since I nearly ran out of ammo trying to kill that accursed archvile. I think the map could do with 20% less healing items, but like I said they at least keep the combat on a forward track so it's not a big deal.

And like tourniquet, the final fight practically begs for all three switches to be hit in a row for maximum fun.

Here's my submission to the project, which is a small map with a silly idea in it: The Swarm

It's for Boom-compatible ports (tested in PrBoom+ cl9), and difficulty settings are implemented. Music is from TNT: Evilution's map16.

I have updated my map with player 2-4 starts because I have read Getsu Fune complaining about some maps in Whitemare 2 "having no coop starts" in DWMC. Not that my map is very coop-friendly either way, but who cares.
Also I wanted to use that update as an excuse to post a proper inspiration list:
Overall direction, the area with lava - thepath.wad
The central room - I used to attribute it to crfe_p1.wad, now I'm not so sure
The reactor - ctrl_cen.wad
The section behind the red key door - D2INO MAP16, to a degree NDCP2 MAP06/14
The hallway behind the blue key door - ctrl_cen.wad again, also in a way Jaeden's maps in ZOF
The exit room - fort4.wad

Edit: Now it's player 2-4 starts and not 3 player 2 starts...

dobu gabu maru said:

Since we're really close to 2017 the only thing I'd suggest is that you give the player a green armor at the start (you have one on a pillar but couldn't figure out how to get it). I'd also suggest throwing down 10 more rockets for the big blue key fight that happens at the top of the map, since I nearly ran out of ammo trying to kill that accursed archvile. I think the map could do with 20% less healing items, but like I said they at least keep the combat on a forward track so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the suggestions, Dobu. :) I can move that green armor to the starting point, and place some rocket boxes around the blue key area. I won't change the amount of health items, though. But I can change some medikits to smaller stimpacks.

I'm working on the final version, based on the comments I've gotten so far, and I have one thing to ask: what timezone is based on for the deadline?

EDIT: Nevermind. Here's the official version one of my level:

Click Here to Download

Level name: Harverster's Reminiscence
Author: antares031
Build time: Started from November 30. on and off
Programs used: Doom Builder 2
Music track: Skeleton's Waltz by Eris Falling
Playtesting: ZDoom 2.8.1 "Boom (Strict) w/ infinite tall actors", PrBoom 2.5.1.3 "-complevel 9"
Skill settings: Yes
Bugs: Slime trails around the scenery
Inspiration: Skeleton's Waltz by Eris Falling, Fomalhaut by Mechadon and Sky Pillar by antares031 from THT:Threnody
Author's comments: A level for DMP2016. It's also the biggest level I've designed so far. I was thinking about the better setup before the exit, but I was in a hurry to catch the deadline. At any rate, I hope you enjoy this one.

My map is gonna be ready in about an hour. Dunno if ill have time to tweak it after that so i guess it will be a one of. Hopefully it will be alright xd

scifista42 said:

Name: Space Base: Quadrant Delta
Music: "toas.mid" from vgmusic.com
Sky: Recolored sky from plmsky1.wad
Screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/1hXioOb.png

I can't figure out a consistent strategy for the four arachnotron part. Neither streaming nor circling patterns (either slow or fast, or slow streaming with speedups before reversing direction) seem to work because if three arachnotrons fire at the same time they can effectively blanket any movement vector, and pain stunning, idk, that isn't so reliable because once again three arachnotrons can fire at the same time. I decided I'd try to hide behind one arachnotron as best I could, which works sometimes (once one 'tron is dead a lot of the pressure is off), but the blocking lines make that unreliable. The rest is fairly manageable with a good approach, although I guess with the two cyberdemons that arrive to function as doors, I might be misinterpreting the seriousness of the map. Would be nice if lower difficulty settings were more thoroughly implemented. Replacing two arachnatrons with two mancs and replacing one or two of satellite revenants with imps would probably be enough for a lightly implemented HMP.

And here it is, pfiou. Unfortunately, there are no difficulty settings but, I guess there are coop starts heh so yeah.

Other than that, map runs like I intended it to run and to be honest, I don't know if I'll have any time to tweak it post release (for this project at least) so WYSIWYG I guess.

Anyhow, for the specifics:

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?l5rw1wb15nbzcvh

Name: Crimson wood (yeah, can't really think of anything better heh, the name came this afternoon xD)

Map: Map 01

Music: D_OPENIN (Doom 2's Icon of sin map)

Custom sky: Yes, a recolor of a sky from plum's skystravaganza.

Build time: 2 months (on and off)

Tested with: Prboom+ 2.5.1.4, Complevel 9

Known bugs: None than I'm aware of but, I guess there are some slime trails here and there (hopefully not so much).

Difficulty settings: Nah (sorry)

Coop: Yes, starts only.

Deathmatch: Nope (not even player starts)

Revenant usage: A decent amount (sorry suitepee)

Chaingunner usage: Fuck yeah

There, enjoy.

Map is moderately hard (last fight may be quite hard though) and well, it takes place in a hellish/wooden landscape of sorts.

rdwpa said:

I can't figure out a consistent strategy for the four arachnotron part.

This works reliably for me if I make sure not to get stuck on the Arachnotrons I'm passing by, which is the hardest part of it for me. If the Arachnotron behind me is always the last one to recover from the painlock, which I make sure by firing towards the right Arachnotrons at the right times, I seem to be almost 100% safe. Hiding behind one Arachnotron is an alternative option, and I'm OK with it turning out to be a risky one.

rdwpa said:

with the two cyberdemons that arrive to function as doors, I might be misinterpreting the seriousness of the map.

The player returns to the start to finish off monsters that he skipped, while the first Cyberdemon blocks his way from skipping the monsters once more. The second Cyberdemon exists only so that the latter part of the way towards the exit isn't too empty, and because I couldn't figure out how to make the setup harder, I've just put him right there to block the way. I admit, I ran out of ideas at that time - the fun part of the map is supposed to be the first part.

rdwpa said:

Replacing two arachnatrons with two mancs and replacing one or two of satellite revenants with imps would probably be enough for a lightly implemented HMP.

Thanks for the feedback, but the Arachnotrons and Revenants is what I like the most about this map, those need to stay.

The_Trigger said:

And here it is, pfiou. Unfortunately, there are no difficulty settings but, I guess there are coop starts heh so yeah.

Other than that, map runs like I intended it to run and to be honest, I don't know if I'll have any time to tweak it post release (for this project at least) so WYSIWYG I guess.

Cool map. I wanted to record a casual demo for it. It's going to be too late to make changes based on it, but I guess you wouldn't mind watching people play your map. (I thought I could feel a nodebuilder error resulting in an invisible barrier in the place where you fight the HKs, but I guess I was imagining things. :D)

I think the very first AV encountered in the map is a bit silly, tbh :D. If it comes out and attacks you from a relatively wide range of spots, there are no safe places to hide and you have to hope you have the John Suitepee SSG or hope something distracts it.

Final fight isn't so hard with a good approach -- you can enter with lots of health and armor (even without the secret soulsphere or the second secret berserk), and there is a lot of health and armor there anyway even if you don't. But I thought the encounter right before warping to the last area was the most lethal in the map, so I decided to run away from it lol. (Oh wait, nvm I'm an idiot, I just realized that the warp in isn't triggered by the switch that lowers the barrier, so you can handle that group and the archvile and stuff separately.) That might have been the intended approach, though. And the two-AV fight with the YK also can be pretty tricky.

Haha thx for this. Will watch the demo when i can.

For the first av encounter, i guess i never got a problem with it as i could most of the time deal with him rather easilly.

By the hks, you mean the fight before the Red skull? Didn't notice any invisible barrier heh. Though, one of the platforms has monster block lines so i dunno.

Final fight was done rather quickly and i only got to test it a few times. I knew that some people were gonna find it easy though hehe.

Anyhow, glad that you enjoyed it. It is gonna be indeed too late to tweak it but heh, not a big deal :)

After much procrastination, I banged something out:

Name: Emergent
Format: Boom
Midi: from Thexder
Difficulty settings: no
Coop: added the starts
DM: no

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c95akyoklst3gb0/dmp2016benjogami_v4.wad?dl=1

I started working on it yesterday, so I'd like to call it a speedmap, but I probably spent >16 hours on it.

The idea for the map was to randomize monster spawn locations, so there's an overly complex sewer system that randomizes monsters behind the scenes. The first room isn't random. If you save your game after the first room (or anytime after the first minute or so) you'll lock in your "seed."

Thanks MrZzul/Killer5 for playtesting!

Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/co36gu2py8wx440/BASE21.wad

Name:Ancient Base
Format: Vanilla
MIDI: Exhume - Unknown Author, if anyone recognizes it, let me know
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Co-Op: Yes - Starts Only
DM: No

Okay, so here's the deal. I probably started this map in July, 1996. Yes, you read that right, July, 1996, in between maps I was working on for the Realm of Chaos megawad. I probably finished the first version in January, 1997, and it had a big airfield where the final area is now. I literally carved the final area out of the old airfield sometime in 1998 because it shows the obvious influence of Michael Krause. At that time, it was intended as Map02 of my Abcess project, which is why it has the weird rocket launcher right at the end, because those maps were meant for continuous play. I eventually dropped it from Abcess and decided to throw it in here.

This map is pretty much as it was in 1998. I did spruce it up a tiny bit awhile back, namely raising some areas plus I added a couple stimpacks and some extra shells today. This is old-fashioned attrition/resource management gameplay and is kind of easy, but it might be a little nastier if you can't find the secret SSG, because all you'll have is chaingun, single shotty, chainsaw and zerk fist.

There are some peculiar '90s features, including obtuse progression for the blue key, a weird, almost invisible stairway that can be really hard to climb, and Nazis! I love those Nazis. :D

I can spruce it up more in January or make it a lot harder, or just leave it as is.

I didn't test it in Choco Render Limits, but I used to play it in MacDoom, so it should be okay. I'll give it a full test soon.

The_Trigger said:

Name: Crimson wood

"Yeah, what would go wrong if I grab that blue skull? ;)"

I've just finished this one. It took me 20 minutes to clear every monsters except secret area, and another 10 minutes to find some more secrets to achieve 100% kills. The gameplay was pretty good, and you managed to surprise me with some ambushes(most of time, they include arch-viles xD). The last fight was actually not that hard, since there was no arch-vile if I recall correctly. That being said, the fight in the arena with evil eye tower could be very nasty if the player failed to kill two arch-viles asap, but at least the rocket did a pretty good job to solve the problem.

The layout and environmental design are really good. I'm glad to see that adorable wooden box, finally. One thing that I didn't like was the music selection. Opening to Hell is not a proper music to choose for this level, to be honest. I suggest some another midi songs for this level: #1, #2, #3

Lastly, here are two visual bugs I found during the first playthrough attempt:

- The subsectors around the Line 1838 are out of place since node builder failed to build ther proper one. This results a notable slime trail around that wooden wall. Rearranging a vertex around that line, then rebuilding the node can fix this problem.

- Some of lines that change the sky texture have improper x-axis offset value. Because of this, some parts of skybox don't display the texture very well, like the skybox above that marble IoS texture. You cannot see the big difference from the picture. But if you check this one from in-game, you'll understand what I'm saying. Just set the texture offset to the same value to every line with action 271, and it's done.

Overall, a nice level with well-designed crimson environment. Well done. :)

Ah, so this is what was causing those weird sky bugs.

Never thought stuff like that could do that (doom is so weird lol). For the slime trail, I guess it is too bad heh (I never really pay attention to that) but then again, I don't know how to fix it (probably move some vertice).

As for the music, I dunno, I chose cause I liked the eerie feeling it gave and well, I thought it fit the level quite well. Then again, I had multiple options before that (d2's map 28, valliant's map 11, valliant's map 22, etc...) but, I ended up with d_openin xD

Anyhow, thanks for playing :D

rdwpa said:

Cool map. I wanted to record a casual demo for it.

Just got done watching your demo. Nice run man, you made this look quite easy heh but then again, you are a good player :D

I loled when you "shook your head" to say "nope" at one of the mancs in the RK fight (the one with the evil eye).

Anyhow, thank you for this. It sucks that I can't really make any adjustments but heh, it is alright I guess.

Since it was still Dec31 for you, I used your first version SteveD.

Thanks to everyone for participating. I'll work on compiling the maps now.