Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2016 (v2 is on /idgames)

Just played through all the maps and wrote a mini review for each map. Just click on reveal hidden contents to see em.

Average map rating - 2.9 This wad is okayish.

Map01 by Demonologist - 4/5 Good map. Encounters were fast, fun, and fair. Biggest issue is the lack of texture variety.

Map02 by Memfis 3.5/5 A pretty decent map overall. Some interesting traps and encounters. The layout is very confusing however. Spent the majority of my time wandering around trying to figure out where I need to be.

Map03 by Crunchynut44 4/5 Its good, I had fun. Not much to say about this one really.

Map04 by Rider3 3/5 It wasn't bad but it dragged on for way too long. There was a particularly annoying platforming room with too many enemies and not nearly enough ammo. Once I killed everything and made it through the room I thought I was in the clear, but then a bunch more enenmies spawned in the room making me relive the nightmare.

Map05 by Joe-ilya 4/5 A really fun map with plenty of aesthetic variety. Only complaint is that I felt there wasn't neough health in the first half of the map.

Map06 by TimeOfDeath 1/5 I don't want to talk about it.

Map07 by WindbagJacket 5/5 One of the best in this collection. Great aesthetics and plenty of room variety as well as fluid gameplay. I especially enjoyed the episode 3 theme.

Map08 by JudgeDeadd 3/5 This one was alright. A lot of repetitive caves and huge rooms which I don't really like in Doom maps. I certainly didn't dislike it, but something about it just felt boring and didn't interest me much.

Map09 by Dobu Gabu Maru 2.5/5 I have no idea what this map is about. Its obviously a puzzle of some kind but I have no clue what I'm even trying to accomplish. The majority of the map seemed to involve platforming which I absolutely can't stand in Doom. On the plus side the maps is incredibly well detailed and nice to look at.

Map10 by Cannonball 4/5 Pretty good. Nothing terribly wrong with this one other than some situations where I HAD to cross nukage and take damage. The general layout felt good and the encounters were enjoyable.

Map11 by AnonimVio 3.5/5 Unlike several maps in this collection this one didn't overstay its welcome, it was pretty short and subtle. Unfortunately there was some extreme health starvation throughtout the whole thing and a lot of hitscan enemies hiding behind every corner. I had less then 25 health through the whole map and died countless times to sergeants and chaingunners. Also I really enjyed the music.

Map12 by Obsidian 4/5 A nicely sized map with plenty of interesting mechanics and fun encounters. The cybderdemon fight at the end is too avoidable.

Map13 by SteveD 3/5 Its certainly not much of a looker but it played alright which matters most to me, although it was a bit too easy. However, about 2 thirds of the way in I was ready for it to be over and started rushing past most of the encounters.

Map14 by Gaspe 4/5 I really liked it, everything about it seemed just fine although there wasn't anything about it that wowed me either. Nothing to complain about here.

Map15 by Dpstatic 2.5/5 A pretty bland and unimpressive map. It doesn't do anything terrible other than a few frustratingly hard encounters, but it also doesn't do anything great either.

Map16 by Rorix 3.5 Not bad at all. For the most part I had fun. There are some frustrating fights though.

Map17 by Walter Confalonieri 3/5 Funny map. Pretty short though. Never thought I'd hear Never Ending Story in a Doom map.

Map18 by DT_ 4/5 Good map. Had great flow, good challenge, and plenty of monster and texture variety.

Map19 by RileyMartin 2/5 I typically despise slaughtermaps and this is no exception. Its huge, ugly, frustrating, and just no fun. Sorry Riley.

Map20 by Du Mahn Yu 3.5/5 Its a pretty good map but not without some serious problems. It had some really good flow and good mechanics, but there were a lot of hitscan enemies placed in high up places. On top of that there was some serious health starvation for the first half of the map which combined with the hitscan snipers presented a very frustrating problem. The first half of the map was pretty tedious due to this, but the later half was pretty enjoyable.

Map21 by Eris falling 2/5 A very short map that blows its load the second you start it with a pretty lame slaughter battle in the starting room. The archvile fight after picking up the blue key can be easily avoided as well as the yellow key cyberdemon/archvile fight at the end of the map. There were some neat ideas here but they just weren't presented well at all. The map did look pretty good though.

Map22 by RDWPA 2.5/5 A small slaughter-light map with some fun fights. The encounters were a bit spammy and the traps were predictable. The final battle was too congested and required pure luck and save scumming to beat.

Map23 by Scotty 2.5/5 A big mean slaughtermap. Gave it a few tries until I gave up. It did seem a bit more stomachable than most slaughtermaps however.

Map24 by NoisyVelvet 1.5/5 Quite a trip. Some pretty cool visuals but thats as good as it got honestly. The gameplay is a trainwreck, consisting mostly of small roomss jam packed with archviles and not nearly enough weapons and ammo to deal with them. There was nothing fun about this bad trip.

Map25 by Antares031 4.5/5 Excellent map, I loved nearly everything about it. The only issue it had was that the texture usage was a little repetitive.

Map26 by Scifista42 - 1.5/5 The only good thing going for this map is that it looks neat. The entirety of the map consists of confined walkways packed with

enemies concluded by two tedious cybderdemon fights in which the cyberdemons can hardly even move. Required a lot of save-scumming to complete.

Map27 by JJP 3/5 A pretty small and straight forward map that lacks any detail but makes up for it with an interesting and somewhat hilarious encounter.

Map28 by The_Trigger 4/5 Good map, really liked the aesthetics and the overall mood of the map, really felt like I was in hell. The final battle was a little frustrating though but not nearly as bad as some maps.

Map29 by Benjogami 2.5/5 Platforming while surrounded by monsters, a room with too many archviles, and god-awful broken music. This map tried its best to irritate the hell out of me and it succeeded. It wasn't all bad though. It looked pretty nice and I was able to beat it.

Map31 by VTM 3/5 Its plain, doesn't have good flow, and a little too easy. Despite all this I still enjoyed it, but it was certainly forgettable.

Map32 by Stasiowysomething 2/5 Extremely plain and underdetailed. It doesn't provide much and its incredibly easy. It was still kinda fun despite how tiny and underwhelming it was.

Map33 by Dgemie 2/5 Like the previous 2 maps its very bland and doesn't provide much. Wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't great.

Map34 by Cwolf 2/5 Was over before it even began and has a lot of the same flaws as the above 3 maps. The aesthetics were better in this one though.

Map35 by Lil'Devil 2.5/5 Its minimal and kinda boring but still playable. This map is the epitome of okay.

Map36 by MarxR 2.5/5 Really no different that the previous few maps. The gameplay is a bit faster and more fun though.

Map37 by Mosshopper 2.5/5 It was tiny, cramped, and dark but alright I suppose. The music was kind of annoying.

Map38 by Grain of Salt 1/5 A square room with a cybderdemon in it repeated 100 times. Obviously a joke map.

Map39 by Votcom9 2/5 Pretty cramped, pretty confusing, and pretty irritating.

Map40 by Dazzer 4/5 A pretty nice little map. Its fun, fluid, and looks good too without overdoing it.

Map41 by A2Rob 2.5/5 Its okay. The first third of the map was the best. The two key battles that take place outside are too dark and packed with enemies to be enjoyable.

Map42 by Empyre 2.5/5 One of the most repetitive maps I've played. I just ran through the levels of the tower since they were all just the same room repeated a dozen or so time. The final battle room looked neat but the fight itself was trivial thanks to the bfg.

Map43 by Pinchy 3/5 Its big and pretty bare, the gameplay isn't too great at the start as its hard to find a decent weapon. The later half of the map is alright. I liked the music.

Map44 by Getsu Fune 3/5 Interesting design. The gameplay was decent although a bit slow and easy. Felt like nothing was really going on in the map most of the time.

Map45 by NoahMLG 2.5/5 Its fun despite being very small and pretty empty.

Map46 by Greentiger 4/5 It might not be pretty, its rather flat and a little plain, but it plays pretty well. I thought it was good.

Map47 by T3hPoundcake 3.5/5 Not bad. Some rooms were pretty boring while some were pretty fun. A pretty decent map for the most part.

Map48 by DMGUYDZ64  2/5 Underwater Labryinth. There's two things I hate in games; mazes and underwater segements. The whole map was pretty awkward and confusing. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to open those silver textures doors.

Map49 by quirkykirk 2/5 Extremely flat, very ugly, and really square. Looked like something made around the time Doom was initially released. The gameplay was alright at best.

Map50 by StormCatcher.77 3/5 Way too dark, I could hardly see a thing through the whole map. What I could see looked pretty good though and the gameplay seemed pretty solid. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out what to do and where to go and gave up.

I saw a Johnsuitepee playtrough of my map. He just standing almost all the time at the slime area. The spectres actually can be eliminated from lower part of stairs. AND there is another way to the outside area. There is no need to go where there is no suitable weapon, especially since there was another entrance to this place. The map is non-linear.

See the proper playtrough by Demonologist (for map from my original post)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bgmck9s9aa37cif/dansat_dem_FDA.lmp

Edited by riderr3

5 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I saw a Johnsuitepee playtrough of my map. He just standing almost all the time at the slime area. The spectres actually can be eliminated from lower part of stairs. AND there is another way to the outside area. There is no need to go where there is no suitable weapon, especially since there was another entrance to this place. The map is non-linear.

See the proper playtrough by Demonologist (for map from my original post)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bgmck9s9aa37cif/dansat_dem_FDA.lmp

You say your map is non-linear......yet you link a "proper" playthrough by somebody else, implying that there's a linear way to do the map even though I beat it anyway?

For some reason this has bugged me all morning.

49 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

You say your map is non-linear......yet you link a "proper" playthrough by somebody else, implying that there's a linear way to do the map even though I beat it anyway?

For some reason this has bugged me all morning.

I actually thought the exact same thing when I read his post lol

Every non-linear map has an optimal way of playing it though. Especially when it comes to harder maps, just because you can access location X without weapon Y doesn't make it the best idea to do so.

6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Every non-linear map has an optimal way of playing it though. Especially when it comes to harder maps, just because you can access location X without weapon Y doesn't make it the best idea to do so.

Yeah but Optimal and Proper are two different things. Saying there's a proper way makes it sound like another way is the wrong way, which is not the case if a map is non linear. People sequence break non linear games all the time and no one says that those are the wrong ways to play those games, just different. Good idea or not, I find it silly to say that another playthrough is more proper just because it used a different route. Different people are going to play a map differently, that's one of the points of sharing demos and recording your runs of maps, that the mapper can see the different ways people approach that map.

A major minor patch for the glitch of MAP25; two mancubi are stuck during the teleportation from the southeastern part of level occasionally. This patch also includes the fix for typo of the level's name... damn, why have I not noticed these problems yet?

Anyway, please load this add-on file before you start the game, if you don't want to miss the UV-Max for MAP25. Thanks to Suitepee, who found those issues during his livestream. :)

Click Here to Download

woops, i neglected to test in zdoom, so map24's main gimmick room is broken and almost impossible to beat. sorry zdoomers.

lost souls are supposed to "bolt down" the archviles and revenants by of overlapping their hitboxes:  the monsters are inert and you use the berserk to break through the revenants, as sort of a mini-maze.  zdoom doesn't allow things to be pinned down the same way, regardless of compatability settings, so you are basically teleported into a pile of archviles and die right away.  my bad.

A minor patch for the glitch of map19; the Mastermind can get knocked back and stuck out of autoaim range at the end of the map occasionally. This version also includes some miscellaneous visual changes and improved texture alignment and pegging.

dmp2016_map19_V2.zip

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/132536923= part 1.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133241993 = part 2.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134328735 = part 3.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/136072930 = part 4.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137427683 = part 5.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137853496 = part 6.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138309991 = part 7.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138692328 = part 8.

My full playthrough of this megawad. As expected, good maps here, bad maps elsewhere, and a fair amount of meh/average.

My favourite maps were; Timeofdeath's (for the meme-tastic midi choice alone, but also the gameplay was surprisingly fun), dobu gabu maru's excellent puzzle map, antares' adventure, Pinchy's venture into GZDoom (more to come, apparently!) and Stormcatcher.77's monkey arena (a nice improvement over his dull dmp2015 submission).

The GZDoom block of maps also seemed better than last years. Hope that trend continues. Also there doesn't appear to be any music on maps 45-47.

I look forward to finding more gems in the 2017 edition......and perhaps even the novelty of a scifista42 map I can enjoy from start to finish.

I watched the part where you played my map, the tower with all the bridges. :) If you play it in coop, or in Zandronum's multiplayer emulation mode, there are a lot more monsters to fight. That shortcut teleport is also for coop players' benefit.

are these pistol start maps? can you play them with gameplay mods and do you loose all the progress you did with the mod once you exit a map?

On 4/28/2017 at 3:10 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/132536923= part 1.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133241993 = part 2.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134328735 = part 3.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/136072930 = part 4.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137427683 = part 5.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137853496 = part 6.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138309991 = part 7.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138692328 = part 8.

My full playthrough of this megawad. As expected, good maps here, bad maps elsewhere, and a fair amount of meh/average.

My favourite maps were; Timeofdeath's (for the meme-tastic midi choice alone, but also the gameplay was surprisingly fun), dobu gabu maru's excellent puzzle map, antares' adventure, Pinchy's venture into GZDoom (more to come, apparently!) and Stormcatcher.77's monkey arena (a nice improvement over his dull dmp2015 submission).

The GZDoom block of maps also seemed better than last years. Hope that trend continues. Also there doesn't appear to be any music on maps 45-47.

I look forward to finding more gems in the 2017 edition......and perhaps even the novelty of a scifista42 map I can enjoy from start to finish.

Last week, I watched the video where you played scifista's map. All I can say is, wow, you really did not like his map. You were still talking about it even after you'd moved on. Maybe that was due to the comments you were receiving, but wow.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Last week, I watched the video where you played scifista's map. All I can say is, wow, you really did not like his map. You were still talking about it even after you'd moved on. Maybe that was due to the comments you were receiving, but wow.

Edit: I'm an idiot, thinking of someone else!

Edited by Bauul

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

You are confusing him for someone else. scifista42 is active and an excellent poster.

Yes I am! Sorry, I'm an idiot, ignore me.

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I didn't enjoy scifista42's DMP2015 space-themed map with obnoxious (imo) difficulty either, and to my immediate recollection I've played one other map by him which I also didn't enjoy too much. All I can say is that there's a few mappers out there that I dread playing maps from based off previous experiences. (EDIT: Turns out Eternal made something I did previously enjoy; Hell Ground.)

My autistic rage is getting a little better as of late though, so perhaps these sometimes unfair rants against mappers on livestreams will one day become less......frequent. That being said, I'm still looking forward to the day that I play an enjoyable scifista42 map.

Edited by Suitepee

3 hours ago, Suitepee said:

All I can say is that there's a few mappers out there that I dread playing maps from based off previous experiences; Eternal. would be another one who's mapping works I haven't also previously enjoyed on the 2-3 occasions I've played his stuff.

Eternal is one of my favourite mappers. Epic, Epic 2, Hell Ground, and Frozen Time are all excellent wads.

29 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Eternal is one of my favourite mappers. Epic, Epic 2, Hell Ground, and Frozen Time are all excellent wads.

Wait, I liked Hell Ground! (which I've played previously on livestream)

Nevermind then; although I'm pretty sure I've played one or two maps I disliked from Eternal previously, I guess I should remember he also made Hell Ground. Disregard my comment on him in this thread prior therefore, my mistake.